IGNORED

U-Joint repair was worth it

Dennis Pink

I posted this in the MOA site but thought it was worth sharing here as well.

2007 R1200RT, 87,385 miles.

Needed a winter project and decided to do some swing arm/drive shaft preventative maintenance.  Prior to disassembly, measured free play at the rear wheel in 1st gear.  2.5 inches (63.5mm).  Drive shaft sent to Machine Service, Inc. in Green Bay, Wis. and returned one week later.  $260.00 plus $23.86 for shipping to Colo.  In 1st gear free play now measures 1.75 inches (44.35mm).  Moral of my story, even if U-Joints feel good, somewhere around 80 to 90K, I would suggest having them rebuilt.  The drive shaft will probably out last me.

DP

Thank you for this information. I recently purchased a used driveshaft and am evaluating options for preventative maintenance. My 2007 with 107,000 miles has 45 mm of lash measured at the edge of the rim. I rode a Honda ST1300 for 180,000 miles and always checked drive train lash at each tire change for signs of driveshaft wear or other developing problem. Honda did not give a service limit but I though over time it was worth doing. FWIW it never changed over time. With a hexhead a known good spare driveshaft on the shelf has appeal to me so I may send it to WI for rebuild and replace it before 120K. Did you just call them or email them to set up the service order?

Good Morning dduilin - I called the company at 920-339-3000 and asked for Mitch.  He was on the line within 30 seconds.  He told me to ship the drive shaft to their address in Green Bay, Wis.  In my shipping box I included a note to Mitch telling him the model, year, mileage, and my contact information.  After the rebuild was completed, a fellow named Peter called with the cost and I paid via credit card.  I'm sure you could e-mail him for more info before you sent yours in.  It was easy peezy!

DP   

1 hour ago, Dennis Pink said:

Good Morning dduilin - I called the company at 920-339-3000 and asked for Mitch.  He was on the line within 30 seconds.  He told me to ship the drive shaft to their address in Green Bay, Wis.  In my shipping box I included a note to Mitch telling him the model, year, mileage, and my contact information.  After the rebuild was completed, a fellow named Peter called with the cost and I paid via credit card.  I'm sure you could e-mail him for more info before you sent yours in.  It was easy peezy!

DP   

Thanks DP. Did the part come back with zerk fittings installed and if so will they clear the inside diameter of the swing arm?

Dave

Hello dduelin - the U-Joints  have an 8MM grease zerk cover that lays almost flat.  To pump grease in, they looked like the type that would require a grease gun rubber tip,  that gets pressed against a little round center sealing bearing.  (Hope you can visualize what it looks like, I didn't take a picture).   I saw plenty of grease in the U-Joints so I'm guessing they would be good to go for several years.   Hope that helps!

DP

17 minutes ago, Dennis Pink said:

Hello dduelin - the U-Joints  have an 8MM grease zerk cover that lays almost flat.  To pump grease in, they looked like the type that would require a grease gun rubber tip,  that gets pressed against a little round center sealing bearing.  (Hope you can visualize what it looks like, I didn't take a picture).   I saw plenty of grease in the U-Joints so I'm guessing they would be good to go for several years.   Hope that helps!

DP

Thanks for the reply. Being the impatient sort I already called Mitch at Machine Service and he described a nearly flush grease fitting that requires a needle on a grease gun to grease the fitting, and yes, it comes packed with grease and ready for install. The fitting is for future servicing. I'm packing mine up this afternoon.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

According to USPS, the driveshaft was delivered to Machine Service around 11:00 AM yesterday. Around 11:00 AM this morning Mitch from Machine Services calls to tell me the driveshaft is done and ready to ship back to me. The bill is $260 plus shipping.