IGNORED

A conundrum finally solved!

Balibeemer

I just could not figure out why I had this type of HT cap cover on my ex 1150 RTP. They flip out but serve no useful purpose! Then, it finally dawned on me - they are extra foot pegs. I haven't tried them yet and will have to find a straight road somewhere!

Is this a standard piece of kit?

FP1.JPG

FP2.JPG

FP3.JPG

FP4.JPG

4 hours ago, Balibeemer said:

I just could not figure out why I had this type of HT cap cover on my ex 1150 RTP. They flip out but serve no useful purpose! Then, it finally dawned on me - they are extra foot pegs. I haven't tried them yet and will have to find a straight road somewhere!

Morning  Balibeemer

Not really a standard accessory for the BMW 1100/1150 but there were a number of aftermarket foot rests available over the years.  Most mounted to the 4 bolts that held the valve cover on (some of those caused issues with stripped bolts as they limited thread engagement).

Just be a little careful that you don't put too much load on those foot rests as they stick out a long ways so the load that you put in them will have a LOT or leverage. The valve cover is rubber isolated with a thick rubber gasket & rubber grommets under the outer bolt heads so it can move around with excessive loads on it.   

56 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Balibeemer

Not really a standard accessory for the BMW 1100/1150 but there were a number of aftermarket foot rests available over the years.  Most mounted to the 4 bolts that held the valve cover on (some of those caused issues with stripped bolts as they limited thread engagement).

Just be little careful that you don't put too much load on those foot rests as they stick out a long ways so the load that you put in them will have a LOT or leverage. The valve cover is rubber isolated with a thick rubber gasket & rubber grommets under the outer bolt heads so it can move around with excessive loads on it.   

I really don't think I'll be using them as the riding position would be a bit .........gynaecological!

A lot of people call them elf pegs. I have a pair on my RT and use them quite a bit on long rides. If you don't like them, you could put them on the classified here and they will sell in a heart beat.

NOLONGERRELEVANT
On 1/10/2021 at 1:59 AM, Balibeemer said:

I've been wanting a pair of these?  Have you tried them?  How do they feel?  Strong enough to support using for long rides?

There was a set of these on my R1150RT when I bought it. They need to come off in order to service the spark plugs. So before I ever got a chance to try them out I had become well acquainted with how they fasten on to the valve covers.

I did try them out a time or two, but I was always very leery of putting too much weight on them, fearing what damage I might be doing to my valve covers. This alone made them far less than useful to me. I removed them and sold them to another member on this forum.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:23 PM, NOLA Kirk said:

I've been wanting a pair of these?  Have you tried them?  How do they feel?  Strong enough to support using for long rides?

No, I haven’t tried them. The bike is in bits while waiting for parts (from Sierra) which I think are being shipped by carrier pigeon!
Neither do I intend to try them. I’ll just keep them as a curiosity!

I have had these on my 1150rt for over 10 years. I love them . I use them a lot on long rides to help relieve hip and leg cramps. Whenever I remove and reinstall , I am always very careful with the amount of torque I use. If snugged up tight and not over tightened ,they are very solid. There are times I even lay the heels of my feet on top of them and have never had a problem . I would recommend keeping them on , as they are not in the way of anything and if you are in need of a stretch ,they can be the ticket .

On 1/11/2021 at 12:50 PM, Hosstage said:

Can you extend the brake pedal and shifter up there for true forward controls?

And cut those mufflers off!    :wave:

Is that a serious question?   I'm so gullible. 

1 hour ago, markallan00 said:

Is that a serious question?   I'm so gullible. 

No, it's a Harley thing! We don't need no stinkin' mufflers!

On 1/13/2021 at 8:51 PM, Balibeemer said:

Neither do I intend to try them. I’ll just keep them as a curiosity!

Might make a nifty helmet holder.  :)

Never thought I'd use those forward foot peg things cause it takes my foot away from the brake pedal. Didn't think that was real safe. But that's just me. Dave

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Never thought I'd use those forward foot peg things cause it takes my foot away from the brake pedal. Didn't think that was real safe. But that's just me. Dave

Just like hiway pegs on cruisers, attached to the engine crash bars, they take your feet from the controls, but almost every Harley has them.

Mine do not. Mostly because my stubby legs can't reach them!

On 1/15/2021 at 8:14 PM, taylor1 said:

I have had these on my 1150rt for over 10 years. I love them . I use them a lot on long rides to help relieve hip and leg cramps. Whenever I remove and reinstall , I am always very careful with the amount of torque I use. If snugged up tight and not over tightened ,they are very solid. There are times I even lay the heels of my feet on top of them and have never had a problem . I would recommend keeping them on , as they are not in the way of anything and if you are in need of a stretch ,they can be the ticket .

I live on an Indonesian Island. If I go for "a long ride", I'll fall off the Island!"

I'll bet my Island is smaller than yours  LOL  Though I have a bridge . After market parts [Farkles] are made for cosmetics , parts upgrade or rider comfort .The Elf pegs fall in the comfort zone for me. More than once was I glad I have them. but , everything is personal preference. Main goal  Ride Safe

Just now, taylor1 said:

I'll bet my Island is smaller than yours  LOL  Though I have a bridge . After market parts [Farkles] are made for cosmetics , parts upgrade or rider comfort .The Elf pegs fall in the comfort zone for me. More than once was I glad I have them. but , everything is personal preference. Main goal  Ride Safe

Not often us fellows say "mine is smaller than yours"

• Haha 2