Sign in to follow this  
KBMWGT

Rear axle shaft seal replace...anyone done this?

KBMWGT

It's part #33117722890

Its a ring seal that goes on the driveshaft side of the axle. You know that ring area that's around the hole on the rear shaft.
BMW direction has you drilling a hole in it and pulling it out somehow with what seems like a slide dent puller.

Thanks for any help
Mike

Axle seal ring.pdf

szurszewski

I've seen it done with wood screws (put a couple of them in, use something to lever it out). 

image.png.50807945ce3a737332857ceb157552f9.png

The new seal will give you an idea of how deep you want to put those screws, or anything else...

dirtrider
14 minutes ago, KBMWGT said:

It's part #33117722890

Its a ring seal that goes on the driveshaft side of the axle. You know that ring area that's around the hole on the rear shaft.
BMW direction has you drilling a hole in it and pulling it out somehow with what seems like a slide dent puller.

Thanks for any help
Mike

Axle seal ring.pdf 139.84 kB · 4 downloads

EVening Mike

Yes, pretty easy. You can drill it in a couple of places (very shallow so as to not drill into the drive housing), then use a slide hammer. Or just screw in a couple of sheet metal screws then protect the outer end of the axle spool, then use some side cutters to pry the seal out.

Be careful in removing the old seal, as in careful so you don't damage it, you can then flip it over then use the removed seal to drive the new seal in. 

KBMWGT
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Be careful in removing the old seal, as in careful so you don't damage it, you can then flip it over then use the removed seal to drive the new seal in. 

So how deep in does the new seal need to go? Meaning will using the old seal  (flipped) as a ram not also pack the old seal in the ring opening?

M

szurszewski
14 hours ago, KBMWGT said:

So how deep in does the new seal need to go? Meaning will using the old seal  (flipped) as a ram not also pack the old seal in the ring opening?

M

Just far enough in so you can get the circlip  back in (as shown in your pdf) -

definitely not so far that you’ll get the old seal stuck. 

edit to add:

DR’s description is clearer - not surprisingly - so read that ;)

dirtrider
9 hours ago, KBMWGT said:

M

Morning Mike

You drive the new seal in until fully seated, there is a step machined in the final drive housing that will stop the seal from going in too far. Don't drive it in with so much force that you crush or damage the seal's metal outer ring but just tap it in until it stops or lightly bottoms out. 

The new seal goes in past flush so you need some sort of fitted driver to install it   (the old seal works good for this if common sense is used)

The seal can't pack as it has a metal outer ring & the seal isn't rawhide or rope. 

Carlisja

We did this job on the side of the road in northern Canada with a screw we pulled out of an old rotting shed.   My buddy was carrying a spare seal because that is what he does.  

KBMWGT

James that gives me hope that I can do it at home. Great thinking on your part.

The leak is minimal so I'll wait until I get to my next oil change which is when I'll do this....with rear drive oil change.

dirtrider
12 minutes ago, KBMWGT said:

James that gives me hope that I can do it at home. Great thinking on your part.

The leak is minimal so I'll wait until I get to my next oil change which is when I'll do this....with rear drive oil change.

Afternoon Mike

Make sure that your final drive isn't overfilled,  just a little on the overfill & that seal  will seep like crazy.