IGNORED

Rear axle shaft seal replace...anyone done this?

KBMWGT

It's part #33117722890

Its a ring seal that goes on the driveshaft side of the axle. You know that ring area that's around the hole on the rear shaft.
BMW direction has you drilling a hole in it and pulling it out somehow with what seems like a slide dent puller.

Thanks for any help
Mike

Axle seal ring.pdf

I've seen it done with wood screws (put a couple of them in, use something to lever it out). 

image.png.50807945ce3a737332857ceb157552f9.png

The new seal will give you an idea of how deep you want to put those screws, or anything else...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, KBMWGT said:

It's part #33117722890

Its a ring seal that goes on the driveshaft side of the axle. You know that ring area that's around the hole on the rear shaft.
BMW direction has you drilling a hole in it and pulling it out somehow with what seems like a slide dent puller.

Thanks for any help
Mike

Axle seal ring.pdf 139.84 kB · 4 downloads

EVening Mike

Yes, pretty easy. You can drill it in a couple of places (very shallow so as to not drill into the drive housing), then use a slide hammer. Or just screw in a couple of sheet metal screws then protect the outer end of the axle spool, then use some side cutters to pry the seal out.

Be careful in removing the old seal, as in careful so you don't damage it, you can then flip it over then use the removed seal to drive the new seal in. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Be careful in removing the old seal, as in careful so you don't damage it, you can then flip it over then use the removed seal to drive the new seal in. 

So how deep in does the new seal need to go? Meaning will using the old seal  (flipped) as a ram not also pack the old seal in the ring opening?

M

14 hours ago, KBMWGT said:

So how deep in does the new seal need to go? Meaning will using the old seal  (flipped) as a ram not also pack the old seal in the ring opening?

M

Just far enough in so you can get the circlip  back in (as shown in your pdf) -

definitely not so far that you’ll get the old seal stuck. 

edit to add:

DR’s description is clearer - not surprisingly - so read that ;)

9 hours ago, KBMWGT said:

M

Morning Mike

You drive the new seal in until fully seated, there is a step machined in the final drive housing that will stop the seal from going in too far. Don't drive it in with so much force that you crush or damage the seal's metal outer ring but just tap it in until it stops or lightly bottoms out. 

The new seal goes in past flush so you need some sort of fitted driver to install it   (the old seal works good for this if common sense is used)

The seal can't pack as it has a metal outer ring & the seal isn't rawhide or rope. 

We did this job on the side of the road in northern Canada with a screw we pulled out of an old rotting shed.   My buddy was carrying a spare seal because that is what he does.  

James that gives me hope that I can do it at home. Great thinking on your part.

The leak is minimal so I'll wait until I get to my next oil change which is when I'll do this....with rear drive oil change.

12 minutes ago, KBMWGT said:

James that gives me hope that I can do it at home. Great thinking on your part.

The leak is minimal so I'll wait until I get to my next oil change which is when I'll do this....with rear drive oil change.

Afternoon Mike

Make sure that your final drive isn't overfilled,  just a little on the overfill & that seal  will seep like crazy. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Im sure DR will weigh in with the right quantity of final drive fluid.  BMW has a spec for it.  Not sure which bike you have.  For most of the RT's for at least 7-8 years I can remember the spec is 180ML.  

Sorry, I miss understood. I thought the question was how much oil he would loose if he changes the seal, without emptying the rear drive.

The rear drives for the R series bikes since 2005 require 180 ml oil for an oil change.

I think the K bike rear drive unit is the same, since they are externally similar looking. But I am not really familiar with the K-bikes.

Your owners guide should give you this information.

1 hour ago, KBMWGT said:

I have always filled until it starts coming out of the hole....mine is at the 3 o'clock position.

Is that ok?

Afternoon Mike

WAY too much oil, no wonder it is leaking. 

I have been using 180ml...which usually comes flowing out the 3 o'clock hole before it all is in.

Of course I've only been doing this for 57k miles and multiple rear gear oil changes.

2006 K1200GT

19 minutes ago, KBMWGT said:

I have been using 180ml...which usually comes flowing out the 3 o'clock hole before it all is in.

Of course I've only been doing this for 57k miles and multiple rear gear oil changes.

2006 K1200GT

Afternoon  KBMWGT

Something doesn't sound right.

180ml is just a few drops over 6 ounces, if that drive is FULLY drained then adding 6 ounces shouldn't be back-flowing out of the fill hole. (if I have the time I usually drain mine overnight) 

well that's what I remember...last time I did it. And that is the amount I recorded  on my maintenance log.

I'll be doing it again soon...to replace ring seal. I'll report on what I do.

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Skywagon said:

Im sure DR will weigh in with the right quantity of final drive fluid.  BMW has a spec for it.  Not sure which bike you have.  For most of the RT's for at least 7-8 years I can remember the spec is 180ML.  

Yes guys, I had recently change my FD oil (every 6k miles, I do it, not worry about a little more money), and it needs 180 ml, NOT MORE!

Just a note to anyone else attempting this seal replacement.

The seal itself although rubber has a metal ring imbedded in it. So when you read that you should drill and set a screw in it in order to remove it understand that. It is NOT just a rubber seal. I was wondering why my attempt at screwing said screw in was so difficult.

Just a heads up.

• Smile 1