IGNORED

What I've done with my RT P since November 2020

Balibeemer

7 hours ago, Doctare said:

Busy little beaver are you.

This pandemic has resulted in a LOT of maintenance and mods. My most interesting find was the electrical fitting inside the tank was disconnected and also the previous owner / mechanic obviously lacked a hex key for the right handle bar (see pic)😱

681ACD0E-7108-4C3C-908F-DBBAA628BB81.jpeg

Looks like that bolt is stripped. You may have to use one of several techniques to get that bolt out (if want to). I replaced mine with stainless steel bolts when I installed the bar-backs. I put a dab of blue lock-tite on the bolts before installing them.  The stainless steel color worked reasonably well with the aluminum bars. 

Also be careful when reinstalling the fairing. The screws can easily strip or cross-thread the threaded insert/nut. Chris Harris has several Youtube video on replacing the screws and the right way to do it to avoid problems. DON'T use a powered impact driver. 

Miguel

1 minute ago, Miguel! said:

Looks like that bolt is stripped. You may have to use one of several techniques to get that bolt out (if want to). I replaced mine with stainless steel bolts when I installed the bar-backs. I put a dab of blue lock-tite on the bolts before installing them.  The stainless steel color worked reasonably well with the aluminum bars. 

Also be careful when reinstalling the fairing. The screws can easily strip or cross-thread the threaded insert/nut. Chris Harris has several Youtube video on replacing the screws and the right way to do it to avoid problems. DON'T use a powered impact driver. 

Miguel

I actally drilled off the head of the bolt and everything else came of pretty easy. I’ve ordered a bunch of new clip nuts and the 5 mm fixing bolts are easy to source here. My next trick is to have the front crash bars copied in 316 stainless steel. Did it before on a R65 and it was 30% of the cost of getting them from Euro/ US suppliers😁

It would not have been possible without this forum and YouTube. My eternal thanks to all and now I do have idle hands due to waiting for spares. I guess I'll try jungle warfare next.

IMG_5207.JPG

How did you go about repairing the fairing?  Mine is also broke at the two screws in front of the left cylinder head.  I am missing a triangle of plastic that launched into hiding somewhere in the garage.  (Carelessness on my part during an early ownership install.)

I found the bit of plastic in the radio box! That was when I removed the tupperware to find out where it fitted - about 3 hrs! Once I'd matched the to pieces, I prepared the bits and roughened up  the back of both bits. I used 'epoxy steel" and overlaid the back of the joint with glass tape while the epoxy was setting and spread epoxy over that. I then let it cure for two days to be sure.

To check that the bond was strong enough, I picked it up by the formerly broken bit and shook it to ensure it would hold the weight of the entire right hand fairing (even though it didn't have to). It worked!

We don't have many tech facilites here in Bali, so you just have to improvise and over engineer!

• Like 1
fourteenfour

lol you probably spent more time on that PDF than I have on doing maintenance to my own bike

washing counts as maintenance, right?

• Haha 1