IGNORED

Driveshaft & final drive part numbers

dduelin

So I am confused. I have a 2007 RT with a build date of 10/06 according to the VIN # inserted into the MAX BMW web site. I am looking for driveline spare parts and according to the BMW fiche my bike should have a drive shaft with 20 teeth and a part number ending in 803. The final drive on my bike isn't vented, no vent is present, so that should be a Gen 1 FD with the part number ending in 077. But the change over to Gen 2 (vented) the fiche says is 08/06. Gen 2 part # ends in 895. I should have a Gen 2 final drive by the build date but it appears a Gen 1 is on the bike right now.

Will the Gen 1 final drive have a 20 spline input shaft, thus mating with the early #803 driveshaft? I plan on dropping the final drive soon to look at the end of the driveshaft and the FD input shaft to count splines - will the tooth count tell me which parts to look for? Or should I look for the Gen 2 final drive and shaft and switch over if both parts are needed as a pair.

Thanks,

Dave

My 08 had a Gen 1 FD too.  We bought a spare Gen 2 when it had to be rebuilt.   It was a direct fit with the vent being the only difference.   If given the choice, get the Gen 2 as the vent helps protect the seals.  

11 hours ago, dduelin said:

So I am confused. I have a 2007 RT with a build date of 10/06 according to the VIN # inserted into the MAX BMW web site. I am looking for driveline spare parts and according to the BMW fiche my bike should have a drive shaft with 20 teeth and a part number ending in 803. The final drive on my bike isn't vented, no vent is present, so that should be a Gen 1 FD with the part number ending in 077. But the change over to Gen 2 (vented) the fiche says is 08/06. Gen 2 part # ends in 895. I should have a Gen 2 final drive by the build date but it appears a Gen 1 is on the bike right now.

Will the Gen 1 final drive have a 20 spline input shaft, thus mating with the early #803 driveshaft? I plan on dropping the final drive soon to look at the end of the driveshaft and the FD input shaft to count splines - will the tooth count tell me which parts to look for? Or should I look for the Gen 2 final drive and shaft and switch over if both parts are needed as a pair.

Thanks,

Morning  Dave

That vent thing is confusing as the vented drive didn't go into production until sometime in the 2010 model period.  BUT, the later vented drive is/was used as a service replacement for earlier 1200 bikes after  build date 08/2006 (basically the 2007 up builds). So any (as built) 2005-2009 1200RT should have come from the factory with a non-vented drive. 

But just to confuse even more, I know of a 2009 1200RT that was SOLD with a vented drive (was in dealer stock for a long time so my guess is that it's original drive was borrowed to install on a customers 1200 with a failed drive, then replaced with a newer vented drive at a later time before sale).

The big switch over was at the start of 2007 production  (about 08/2006) as  that is when the drive shaft & the final drive was changed.

There was also a later drive shaft supersede on the post 08/2006 drive shafts (I'm not sure if that was a running factory build change or ONLY for replacement shafts).  There was also an OEM  driveshaft change around 01/2008 (I don't think this was a fitment change just a durability improvement but I'm not really sure on the details)    

Your best bet is to see what you have now then go from there. 

One of the give-away's is the braking system-- The drive & driveshaft were changed at about brake change over from the early  I-ABS (wizzy system) to the later I-ABS gen2 (non wizzy brake system).  The wheel speed sensors were different so the final drive housing holes I believe are also different.

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Dave

That vent thing is confusing as the vented drive didn't go into production until sometime in the 2010 model period.  BUT, the later vented drive is/was used as a service replacement for earlier 1200 bikes after  build date 08/2006 (basically the 2007 up builds). So any (as built) 2005-2009 1200RT should have come from the factory with a non-vented drive. 

But just to confuse even more, I know of a 2009 1200RT that was SOLD with a vented drive (was in dealer stock for a long time so my guess is that it's original drive was borrowed to install on a customers 1200 with a failed drive, then replaced with a newer vented drive at a later time before sale).

The big switch over was at the start of 2007 production  (about 08/2006) as  that is when the drive shaft & the final drive was changed.

There was also a later drive shaft supersede on the post 08/2006 drive shafts (I'm not sure if that was a running factory build change or ONLY for replacement shafts).  There was also an OEM  driveshaft change around 01/2008 (I don't think this was a fitment change just a durability improvement but I'm not really sure on the details)    

Your best bet is to see what you have now then go from there. 

One of the give-away's is the braking system-- The drive & driveshaft were changed at about brake change over from the early  I-ABS (wizzy system) to the later I-ABS gen2 (non wizzy brake system).  The wheel speed sensors were different so the final drive housing holes I believe are also different.

Thank you DR. Besides the part number on the shaft the obvious change is 20 to 22 teeth. Is the number of teeth the same on both ends of the driveshaft, so when I drop the FD today and count the teeth on the FD end I can be sure of the shaft part number without pulling the shaft out?

Thanks

55 minutes ago, dduelin said:

Thank you DR. Besides the part number on the shaft the obvious change is 20 to 22 teeth. Is the number of teeth the same on both ends of the driveshaft, so when I drop the FD today and count the teeth on the FD end I can be sure of the shaft part number without pulling the shaft out?

Thanks

Morning  Dave

I can't be sure as I can't say that I have have ever compared them with enough thought to leave a lasting  memory.

My old 1200RT  parts book does show the same part number transmission output shaft  used throughout the 1200RT hexhead run so unless my parts book is wrong the front end of the drive shaft should be the same throughout the 1200RT hexhead run also.  

10 hours ago, dduelin said:

Thanks

call Ted Porter at BeemerShop.com.    He sells aftermarket driveshafts for your bike and will know the answer to your question.    He is an absolute wealth of knowledge and very personable.