IGNORED

Do you BELIEVE?

Whip

Since this happen in the town I live in I have been giving it some thought and have come to the conclusion I would have to be naive to think we are the only living creatures in the entire universe. Equally it stands that somewhere people may began their civilizations thousands of years before our own. 

What says my cyber family? 

12 minutes ago, Whip said:

Since this happen in the town I live in I have been giving it some thought and have come to the conclusion I would have to be naive to think we are the only living creatures in the entire universe. Equally it stands that somewhere people may began their civilizations thousands of years before our own. 

Totally agree, there has to be other civilizations in the universe and beyond. To believe that we are the only ones I think is absurd. Just hope they don't try to land here as all the US wants to do is kill and not engage others on a civil basis to learn from them. 

Most of these phenomena are explainable, but some are not.  Even setting all that aside, it would seem to be logical that earthlings are not the only life in the universe and that some may be more advanced.  I just hope our first visitors are not the Borg or the creatures from War of the Worlds or Independence Day.

Having been abducted and called certifiable , there is no question in my mind:4296:

All joking aside , one would have to be pretty closed minded to think this is all there is .

John Ranalletta

That they've not landed (to our knowledge) is a testament to the fact they are indeed intelligent.  Who amongst us would stay here if a better place beckoned?  They preserve us as an example to their young 'uns  of what not to do. Nanu, nanu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about this one. If they did exist and happened by the neighborhood looking for a specimen to bring back home for a show and tell, would you be interested?  (They promise you no harm and they’d put you back in one year, our time) I might take that ride. :dontknow:

John Ranalletta
22 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

How about this one. If they did exist and happened by the neighborhood looking for a specimen to bring back home for a show and tell, would you be interested?  (They promise you no harm and they’d put you back in one year, our time) I might take that ride. :dontknow:

Sure they will.  IT WAS A COOKBOOK!

image.thumb.png.9bc1c0a3531d0ca53728c8d27b31cb40.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

All those videos are pretty fuzzy and undefined, hard to make any real conclusion, for me anyway.

Much like all the bigfoot videos. Granted, those might be fuzzy because bigfoot might be fuzzy...

I would like to think we are not alone, this equation is not optimistic. It believe it is only biased on life as WE know it.  Also that those civilizations have not destroyed themselves.....

N=R_* \cdot f_P \cdot n_e \cdot f_l \cdot f_i \cdot f_c \cdot L

N = number of civilizations with which humans could communicate
R_* = mean rate of star formation
f_P = fraction of stars that have planets
n_e = mean number of planets that could support life per star with planets
f_l = fraction of life-supporting planets that develop life
f_i = fraction of planets with life where life develops intelligence
f_c = fraction of intelligent civilizations that develop communication
L = mean length of time that civilizations can communicate

In answer to Whip's question, my thought is yes, sort of.   To me, known UFO sightings have only been around after manned flight began.  I do realize there is physical evidence that would indicate technology does exist beyond our capability, but would how come this was not experienced prior to manned flight?   I guess the term UFO would not have been called that in previous centuries, but I still wonder.   I have seen documentaries about ancient civilizations that have carvings suggesting out-of-this-world beings, so that makes me lean toward the yes response.

The video that John posted was on one of the episodes The Black Files Declassified that aired on the Science Channel.   Interesting stuff.   The host interviewed one of the US Navy pilots involved.  In another interview with a shipboard sailor, he stated that "some people came aboard" (one of the support ships) and "removed all the recorded data related" to the sighting.  I find that strange and it adds to my skepticism.  

....about 3/4 over the fence for yes, though.

On 12/30/2020 at 7:32 AM, Whip said:

The vastness of the known universe stretches the human mind to comprehend its scope ...

In this famous Hubble image there are an estimated 5,000 galaxies , not just stars.   

As a point of reference our Milky Way galaxy is estimated to have 200 billion stars (of course not all stars have planets ... but ...)

To also understand the scope,  the field of view is approximately 1/10th the size of a full moon ... meaning that its only a tiny , tiny, tiny  portion of the whole spherical sky as seen from earth.

the-hubble-extreme-deep-field.thumb.jpg.238807e4a753d5f2dee2c1e925475db6.jpg

Contemplating that image and its implications, it would seem highly unlikely and possibly a conceit that only here did some form of intelligent, tool making "life" evolve.  Its another matter if "they" are visiting earth. 

UFO's are just that ... Unidentified...  until some better physical proof becomes available.  But some of the military video is very hard to explain. 

But if you allow the possibility of alien existence, then it becomes more possible that maybe some UFOs are of extra-terrestrial  origin.

I do believe in extraterrestrial life, I'm just not sure they are flying here.

What if we really are the most advanced life form in the universe? 

And what if we aren't?

Even if another species had space flight, the closest galaxy, flying at the speed of light, is 4 million light years away.

Can anything fly through space for 4 million years, at the speed of light, and not hit some debris and be completely destroyed? Can a living, sentient being live for 4 million years?

And that is the CLOSEST galaxy, the next one is like 15 million Light years away, not just 15 million years away at 100,000 mph., it is 15 million years away at 187,000 mps (miles per second). Tough to wrap a brain around.

While time travel, and wormholes, are great concepts, the reality of it is hard to fathom.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

And what if we aren't?

Even if another species had space flight, the closest galaxy, flying at the speed of light, is 4 million light years away.

Can anything fly through space for 4 million years, at the speed of light, and not hit some debris and be completely destroyed? Can a living, sentient being live for 4 million years?

And that is the CLOSEST galaxy, the next one is like 15 million Light years away, not just 15 million years away at 100,000 mph., it is 15 million years away at 187,000 mps (miles per second). Tough to wrap a brain around.

While time travel, and wormholes, are great concepts, the reality of it is hard to fathom.

The closest star, Proxima Centauri is about 4.24 light years away. Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away.  It would take a visitor a short 4.37 years to get here, that is notwithstanding Einstein...

The closest Galaxy is the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy at about 25,000 light years from the Sun.  That is 146,965,600,000,000,000 miles away give or take a few miles. ;-) 

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

And what if we aren't?

"speed of light" is an earth bound

2 hours ago, PatM said:

The closest star, Proxima Centauri is about 4.24 light years away. Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away.  It would take a visitor a short 4.37 years to get here, that is notwithstanding Einstein...

The closest Galaxy is the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy at about 25,000 light years from the Sun.  That is 146,965,600,000,000,000 miles away give or take a few miles. ;-) 

You're right, I got my distances mixed.

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Who's to know that our version of "physics" applies?  There are arguments for travel in excess of the speed of light. I don't understand them, but anyway....

https://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/what-travels-faster-than-the-speed-of-light

I am well aware of articles such as the above. None of those are objects with mass.

Close a pair of scissors, the intersection of the blades moves faster than the blades. If the blades moved at c (speed of light in vacuum) the intersection would move faster than c, but it has no mass.

AFAIK we cannot send information faster than c, not even quantum entanglement. Laws of physics appear to be same for all parts of our universe. No reason they could not be different in another universe though.

BTW physics is really just the study of the transmission of information.

Ok, not sure how many other physicists are on this board. I did take a class on special relativity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity , math for special relativity is not bad at all, pretty much just algebra.

UFOs do exist, it is highly unlikely they are aliens.

Traveling long distances through space is not trivial. Going faster takes more energy. For an object with mass to travel the speed of light would take infinite energy. To travel close to the speed of light would take a very large amount of energy. As an object approaches the speed of light, the added energy no longer goes to increasing kinetic energy (less acceleration) and goes to increasing (inertial) mass. Effects will start to become noticeable at about 60% c (speed of light in vacuum).

Now, assuming the aliens could travel at very high speeds, how would they know where we are? Our radio/TV signals are quite weak and fall off as the inverse square of the distance. The signals would not be detecible vary far from Earth. They would be lost in the back ground radiation given off by the Sun. So it is very doubtful aliens know we are here.

At high speeds, time will slow for the person that is moving. So, at very high speeds, the passengers will not age much, but we will still see the ship traveling at high speed and will see the time it takes for the ship to travel based on standard physics. If one could travel at c, it would take no time (to the passengers) to make the trip. But if the aliens travel 4 ly (light years), we will see the trip take 4 years, but the aliens would see the trip taking no time. 

• Like 1

Yes. I believe there are events that cannot be explained or understood with the knowledge we possess at this time. How would we explain to a traveler from only 300 odd years ago that one day our ships would circle the earth in 90 minutes?

I believe we only see in part right now, one day we will see fully.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, dduelin said:

Yes. I believe there are events that cannot be explained or understood with the knowledge we possess at this time. How would we explain to a traveler from only 300 odd years ago that one day our ships would circle the earth in 90 minutes?

I believe we only see in part right now, one day we will see fully.

That is what science does.

Not sure we will ever see fully.

At the end of the 19th century there were physicists who thought our job was done. Then we discovered quantum mechanics. Opened a whole new world of unknown.

Imagine standing randomly in a field of tall grass that is two miles square, and taking a baseball and throwing it.

Now ask someone standing in the middle of the field who has no idea what they are looking for, to go find it.

That is just a two dimensional field. Make it a three dimensional sphere that is only one million miles in diameter and go find it. Which direction do you go first? How far do you go without finding it before you turn and go another direction?

Good luck finding this earth in all of the billions of galaxies with billions and billions of stars with all the billions and billions and billions of planets.

The vastness of space just plays with my mind.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
 Albert Einstein

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” 
 Albert Einstein
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Imagine standing randomly in a field of tall grass that is two miles square, and taking a baseball and throwing it.

Now ask someone standing in the middle of the field who has no idea what they are looking for, to go find it.

That is just a two dimensional field. Make it a three dimensional sphere that is only one million miles in diameter and go find it. Which direction do you go first? How far do you go without finding it before you turn and go another direction?

Good luck finding this earth in all of the billions of galaxies with billions and billions of stars with all the billions and billions and billions of planets.

The vastness of space just plays with my mind.

Is the baseball emitting a signal?...

Sure, along with a whole bunch of other signals, and you don't know which signal you're looking for. In a 1 million mile wide sphere.

Now multiply that 1 million miles by a billion. Then multiply that by a billion.

It can be done, but the effort would be astronomical.

I can't even find a transmission plug that got lost in my garage, finding a specific planet across the universe has to be slightly tougher!

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
16 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Other than the part where it didn't visit earth...

I don't have a clue to the (non) existence of life other than on earth; however, if there is, it would be so, so, so much more advanced than we are.  Just the fact that entity could travel light years, confounding our limited knowledge of space/time physics, bears that out.

Now, imagine, a species that advanced visits earth.  What impacts would that have on what we believe, how we live, the work we do, what we value, etc.?  Our borders would be non-sensical; gold would have no value; people who believe in a deity would be confounded; laws of nature would be upended; and, likely, any order that exists in our world would come to an end.

If they're smart enough to get here, they'd be wise enough to keep a distance because to do otherwise means the end of what we know to be our ways of life.  They'd likely have the same opinion of earth that we do of ant farms.  

16 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Other than the part where it didn't visit earth...

I was just referring to the article, it mentions an object in the solar system, but technically nowhere near earth. The headline is quite deceiving. 

The existence or non existence of other life visiting here, tough call without very hard evidence, for me anyway.

Hard proof would really have quite the impact on most people's belief system. Hopefully it would help to unite people and look beyond our petty differences and look at the big picture. Or have the opposite effect, and cause great wars among us.

Who knows how people would react. We aren't that bright, generally.

14 hours ago, PatM said:

Maybe the aliens have perfected the Alcubierre drive? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

So now you can travel anywhere in the universe, how does one decide where to go? Finding other life is the real problem. Radio waves sent in all directions is not the best way, does not take long to get lost in the radiation released by the sun. Laser based sources have been discussed (to send signals for aliens to receive), but where to aim them?

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

So now you can travel anywhere in the universe, how does one decide where to go? Finding other life is the real problem. Radio waves sent in all directions is not the best way, does not take long to get lost in the radiation released by the sun. Laser based sources have been discussed (to send signals for aliens to receive), but where to aim them?

Well, I believe they do like everyone, they rely on social media. 🤪😛😂

That would explain why they won't talk to us 😂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

?

About 1 tracked space object per day enters Earth's atmosphere. Wonder how many slip through as not tracked.

UFO does not equal aliens. If it is flying and you cannot identify it, it is a UFO. Someone else may be able to identify it.

The object in the video could be any sort of space debris passing through the upper atmosphere.