IGNORED

Arizona in March?

Rob Nowell

Because of (well, you know why), I didn't get to do any touring last summer.  While I DO have a route planned for June/July of 2021, following a June 9 retirement,  I am going nuts sitting here.  I really want to go somewhere during spring break (last two weeks of March) and am thinking Arizona is about the only option, weather-wise.  I live in Northern Los Angeles County, SoCal.  If I stay generally south of Phoenix, I should be safe, right?  I'm considering places such as Cave Creek, Sonoita, and Yuma along the route.  (I want a paved route for my RT.)

I am attempting to put my route here:   https://goo.gl/maps/AUgFMEgM8hpHbe5E9

All this is assuming C-19 eases up a bit in the next 90 days, of course, but does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm figuring I probably have up to six nights away while my wife flies to Montana to check on her folks.

Thanks, and happy new year to everyone!

Rob Nowell

Palmdale, CA

I would suggest that you take Rt 71 off of Rt 60 and then proceed onto rt 89 up into Prescott. Nice mountain twisties and views. That route should be OK in March, but snow is possible (not likely). From Prescott you can go over to Camp Verde and then follow Rt 260 into Payson. There is a good place to eat in Congress (Nichols West), and Prescott has Whiskey Row and plenty of shops and restaurants. BTW the ride from Globe to Safford on your planned route is boring and mostly through Native American reservation land. PM me if you want more details.

• Thanks 1
Dennis Andress

Head to Temecula and then to CA 79 until you get to the S2. Take the S2 to the Glass Elevator.

lvg.jpg

Continue to Borrego Springs and on to El Centro and I-8 East until you get to Gila Bend, Arizona.

Head south to Ajo on AZ 85.

ajo.jpg

Organ Pipe National Monument used to be a really cool place to visit in March. Now it is run over by heavily armed Federal employees.

sign1.jpg

I've still got the memories...

bottle-M.jpg

From there AZ 86 will take you past Kitt Peak; the road to the top should be open in late March. West of Tucson is the Arizona Desert Museum, which is worth the trip all by itself.

• Smile 1
On 12/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Head to Temecula and then to CA 79 until you get to the S2. Take the S2 to the Glass Elevator.

lvg.jpg

Continue to Borrego Springs and on to El Centro and I-8 East until you get to Gila Bend, Arizona.

Head south to Ajo on AZ 85.

1ajo.jpg

Organ Pipe National Monument used to be a really cool place to visit in March. Now it is run over by heavily armed Federal employees.

sign1.jpg

I've still got the memories...

bottle-M.jpg

From there AZ 86 will take you past Kitt Peak; the road to the top should be open in late March. West of Tucson is the Arizona Desert Museum, which is worth the trip all by itself.

Late March might let him take the scenic route to Temecula :  from Palmdale take angeles forest hwy >angeles crest hwy >la cañada flint ridge>210>Glendora and GMR>GRR>Mt baldy rd>210>15>138>18>38>10>243>74. Don’t go thru hemet. I think there are some backroads avoid hemet on the way  to Temecula. I’m assuming ACH will be closed to wrightwood but if not by all means take that to get you to 138. 

2 hours ago, longjohn said:

Late March might let him take the scenic route to Temecula :  from Palmdale take angeles forest hwy >angeles crest hwy >la cañada flint ridge>210>Glendora and GMR>GRR>Mt baldy rd>210>15>138>18>38>10>243>74. Don’t go thru hemet. I think there are some backroads avoid hemet on the way  to Temecula. I’m assuming ACH will be closed to wrightwood but if not by all means take that to get you to 138. 

One goal is avoiding interstates to the greatest extent possible.  Angeles Crest could be clear, or be completely closed at that time, plus I've ridden it several times already; that's basically why I left it out.  On the other side of I-15, the mountain roads are in the same category, but more so (possibly/probably).  How I get TO Arizona is less of a question than where to ride IN Arizona.  I just got the idea from a magazine I was looking at the other day, a Clover Leaf Tour with Phoenix as the base.

11 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

One goal is avoiding interstates to the greatest extent possible.  Angeles Crest could be clear, or be completely closed at that time, plus I've ridden it several times already; that's basically why I left it out.  On the other side of I-15, the mountain roads are in the same category, but more so (possibly/probably).  How I get TO Arizona is less of a question than where to ride IN Arizona.  I just got the idea from a magazine I was looking at the other day, a Clover Leaf Tour with Phoenix as the base.

The roads on the other side of 15 are serviced more frequently by CalTrans. You can check numbered highway conditions on their site. 

Good point.  I guess I was just thinking that side tends to have more snow which lasts a bit longer.  Still, it's not until MARCH, Rob!!!  My internal clock is so messed up.  Wife and I were walking yesterday and she asked if it was Tuesday or Wednesday.  My response, delayed, was, "Uh....I'm not sure, actually," and I was serious!

Eagle Rock Rider

Actually, my son and I are hoping to make a trip on March10-17 to Arizona. We are from Md. and would fly into Phoenix.

Mid March is reported to be ave daytime in low/mid 60’s according to internet for AZ and nights colder.

In order to see Places like Winslow, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon maybe we should delay until early April? What do you all think?
mall other AZ advice is appreciated and welcomed!!

Safe Travels!!

7 minutes ago, Eagle Rock Rider said:

In order to see Places like Winslow, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon maybe we should delay until early April?

If it doesn't throw your plans off too much, then yes, April would be better.  Flag is 7000 feet and Grand Canyon rim is also around an average of  7000 ' so it can still be a bit chilly in March.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Eagle Rock Rider said:

Actually, my son and I are hoping to make a trip on March10-17 to Arizona. We are from Md. and would fly into Phoenix.

Mid March is reported to be ave daytime in low/mid 60’s according to internet for AZ and nights colder.

In order to see Places like Winslow, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon maybe we should delay until early April? What do you all think?
mall other AZ advice is appreciated and welcomed!!

Safe Travels!!

Flagstaff has four seasons; I would definitely wait.  If you have the option, wait until May.  Try to get into Jerome via US 89A, from the South.  Sonoma would be a nice addition to your itinerary, as well.  Some people don't realize how much of the state has high elevations and snow...

• Thinking 1
7 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Some people don't realize how much of the state has high elevations and snow

I didn’t. :dopeslap: It snowed on us just north of Flagstaff on 180. I thought it was in May, but it’s been a long while. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you make it as far south has Tucson checkout Gates Pass, Kitts Peak and MT Lemmon as well as Saugauro Natl Park and about 130 miles north of Tucson is Salt River Canyon. If you like aircraft or even if you don't checkout the Pima Air/Space museum which is a great place to spend an afternoon checking out all types of military and civilian aircraft. If you schedule your visit at least 10 days in advance you can take a guided tour through the US Air Force aircraft boneyard.

• Thanks 1

I would avoid 191 from Morenci to Springerville.  Generally, I agree, south of Phoenix should be fine.  

Highlights might be Ca poppies, Joshua Tree, Desert Lily Sanctuary, Organ Pipe, Chiracuhua,  Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Saguaro NP East, Bisbee, Ajo.  

It's not the greatest riding, but certainly gorgeous for wildflowers and tons to see and do.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Twisties said:

I would avoid 191 from Morenci to Springerville.  Generally, I agree, south of Phoenix should be fine.  

Highlights might be Ca poppies, Joshua Tree, Desert Lily Sanctuary, Organ Pipe, Chiracuhua,  Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Saguaro NP East, Bisbee, Ajo.  

It's not the greatest riding, but certainly gorgeous for wildflowers and tons to see and do.

18 hours ago, Twisties said:

You're referring to season, correct?  I hadn't planned to go that way until July, on my way to Dallas...

16 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

You're referring to season, correct?  I hadn't planned to go that way until July, on my way to Dallas...

Yes.  Wonderful ride in July.  One of the best in AZ.  We rode it in mid-March one year and were picking our way through, trying to avoid the icy patches, with 20' snow walls on both sides.