IGNORED

Heated Grips Troubleshooting

NOLONGERRELEVANT

NOLONGERRELEVANT

I have a 1999 BMW R1100RT with the Heated Grips toggle switch (I think... see picture) but no heating at the grips.  Took it for a 20 minute drive and no discernible increase in temperature.  Any ideas how to troubleshoot?  Does my bike actually have heated grips?

IMG_0090.jpeg

19 minutes ago, NOLA Kirk said:

I have a 1999 BMW R1100RT with the Heated Grips toggle switch (I think... see picture) but no heating at the grips.  Took it for a 20 minute drive and no discernible increase in temperature.  Any ideas how to troubleshoot?  Does my bike actually have heated grips?

Afternoon NOLA Kirk

First, make sure that you are using the switch correctly as that isn't always obvious on the BMW 1100/1150 bikes. 

Next,  check fuse #7 for being OK & having continuity. 

Then verify the green/blue wire going TO the switch has 12v on it with key on.

If OK so far then (with key on) verify  the black wire coming out of the switch has 12v with switch on high next verify the orange wire coming out of the switch has 12v on it  on low  (will be less than 12v if measured on the grip end of that orange wire  as the orange wire is a resistor wire).

If you have 12v on on the black & orange wires then the grip heaters are probably open  with a broken grip feed wire, or broken resistor heating wires being open. 

Following on DR's, the grip heat is:  

• High when the top of the switch is pressed in 
  • Low when the bottom of the switch is pressed in 
  • Off when the switch is in the middle position

The worn paint on the switch implies that it worked at some point used a lot. Have they worked in the past?

Miguel

NOLONGERRELEVANT
1 hour ago, Miguel! said:

Following on DR's, the grip heat is:  

• High when the top of the switch is pressed in 
  • Low when the bottom of the switch is pressed in 
  • Off when the switch is in the middle position

The worn paint on the switch implies that it worked at some point used a lot. Have they worked in the past?

Miguel

New bike to me, so not sure if they worked in the past.  As you say, the wear indicates they did.  I was pressing down, and I will test again pressing up  (the top) and see if that produces heat.

38 minutes ago, NOLA Kirk said:

New bike to me, so not sure if they worked in the past.  As you say, the wear indicates they did.  I was pressing down, and I will test again pressing up  (the top) and see if that produces heat.

In the high position, they are pretty hot. Almost too hot. But they are warm even in the low position. 

Nola- The solution for my non working grips was a resolder of the wires where they connected to the switch. I think maybe 2 strands out of the bundle were actually connected- both low heat and high. Just shows what 24 years will do! Dave

NOLONGERRELEVANT

Well... I switched up instead of down and boom - HEAT!  Lots of it.  Interesting quirk, when they were hot my throttle control stuck.  Not so much that I couldn't turn it, but it wouldn't return if I let go.  Is this common or is there an adjustment that can be made?   I was going to just loosen the allen nut on the throttle end, but didn't want the handle to fall off on my next ride!

Well... I switched up instead of down and boom - HEAT!  Lots of it. 

Glad the grips are working. The low heat may also be working. It's not that warm on low but definitely not cold either. Maybe next time you ride, test the grip warmth with a bare hand after it's been on a while and see what you think. 

Interesting quirk, when they were hot my throttle control stuck.  Not so much that I couldn't turn it, but it wouldn't return if I let go.  Is this common or is there an adjustment that can be made?  

Do you have a throttle lock? The R1100RT didn't have a cruise control, many bikes of that era didn't.  So several companies came up with aftermarket solutions. My throttle lock has a knurled nut at the end of the throttle grip that threads on to a threaded piece and has a thick rubber bushing on the end of the throttle. You set cruise control by tightening the knurled nut which pushes the rubber bushing against the end of the throttle which holds it in place when you tighten the knurled but. I wonder if you have found the "sweet spot" where heating the grips causes the throttle to lock. Mine looks pretty close to  this one. 

Throttle lock example.

2 hours ago, NOLA Kirk said:

Interesting quirk, when they were hot my throttle control stuck.  

I have the Throttlemeister on my 1100, and the same issue pops up when the grips are turned on. It still rolls, it just doesn’t release on its own. If I just turn the Throttlemeister clockwise it all frees up.  The Throttlemeister looks like a large bar end weight.

2 hours ago, Michaelr11 said:

I have the Throttlemeister on my 1100, and the same issue pops up when the grips are turned on. It still rolls, it just doesn’t release on its own. If I just turn the Throttlemeister clockwise it all frees up.  The Throttlemeister looks like a large bar end weight.

And by contrast, my throttle lock increases the friction as I turn it clockwise (looking from the end of the grip) and decrease the friction as I turn it counterclockwise. So try both ways. 

Maybe post a picture of your throttle trip assembly.

Miguel

13 hours ago, NOLA Kirk said:

Well... I switched up instead of down and boom - HEAT!  Lots of it.  Interesting quirk, when they were hot my throttle control stuck.  Not so much that I couldn't turn it, but it wouldn't return if I let go.  Is this common or is there an adjustment that can be made?   I was going to just loosen the allen nut on the throttle end, but didn't want the handle to fall off on my next ride!

Morning  NOLA Kirk

That is somewhat common as the twist grip grows in length as it heats up, so you will probably need to either shim the twist grip end weight out slightly with a thin washer between bar end & grip weight. OR, loosen the R/H switch/grip assembly then move it inboard slightly to increases twist grip to bar end weight distance. 

If your motorcycle has a throttle lock then set or shim it to be about a credit card thickness between the throttle lock & the twist grip with cold a grip & throttle lock off.