IGNORED

My new R1100RT Light question

NOLONGERRELEVANT

5 minutes ago, NOLA Kirk said:

These lights don't turn on with any switch I can find on my bike?  Any ideas?

Afternoon NOLA Kirk

See if they come on with the high beam light. If not then jut chase the wire back to it's source. 

That is kind of a dangerous place to mount lights, looks like the fender could contact a light at suspension compression with the wheel turned (not a likely thing but it sure could happen at some time while riding).

53 minutes ago, NOLA Kirk said:

These lights don't turn on with any switch I can find on my bike?  Any ideas?

Follow the + wire from the lamps backwards.  There is a chance that there is an in line fuse in the + wire.  Or you might see where it terminates and see what is controlling it.  Put a voltmeter on the + wire, see if it is hot.  Maybe the negative wire is broken.

I have a set of running lights in the same position on the same bike.  Never had the lamps hit the front fender/wheel.

RT_Front_Lights.JPG

I bought an R1150R from an engineer that added extra lights with a control module that toggled them on and off with the ignition switch.   I have to turn the bike off and restart it to turn them on or off.  Also if I stall out they toggle on/off. 

Back in the day (turn of the century), there was a product called the Autoswitch. It was a sold-state switch programmed to turn on or off the load if you pressed and held the turn-signal cancel switch for about a second or two.  It came with a small amber pilot light to blink during the switching process and stay lit when the load was on. 

I installed several of these on my Beemers over the years.  The one I have now has been working since 2002 to control my PIAAs--incidentally mounted where yours are with no issues.

• Like 1
NOLONGERRELEVANT

Still haven't figured these lights out.  Night time didn't help nor did covering the additional item with tape.  Also tried pressing the blinker release button for two seconds as someone recommended, but still nothing.  Plan on doing some voltmeter work later today.