IGNORED

Fuel strip failures, ethanol related US only???

KDeline

I know this has been beat to death and I might have missed the discussion, just curious about what I was told by the local dealer. Had my final free to me fuel strip installed last week, at 3 days past the 12 year warrantee date of course. Many thanks to the dealer for working to get it covered past the expiration. In my discussion (More like a rant) with the tech about instead of actually fixing the problem BMW decided to just warrantee a known defect for 12 years, so after that you are on your own. The tech said the reason the company choose to not R&D a retrofit was only the US has this problem because we are the only country to use ethanol. Now I might be late to the party, but that was the first I have heard of this. I am skeptical at best. Did I totally miss something or has anyone else heard about this?

12 hours ago, KDeline said:

I know this has been beat to death and I might have missed the discussion, just curious about what I was told by the local dealer. Had my final free to me fuel strip installed last week, at 3 days past the 12 year warrantee date of course. Many thanks to the dealer for working to get it covered past the expiration. In my discussion (More like a rant) with the tech about instead of actually fixing the problem BMW decided to just warrantee a known defect for 12 years, so after that you are on your own. The tech said the reason the company choose to not R&D a retrofit was only the US has this problem because we are the only country to use ethanol. Now I might be late to the party, but that was the first I have heard of this. I am skeptical at best. Did I totally miss something or has anyone else heard about this?

Morning KDeline

They are a BMW dealer, they have the NEED to tell you something even if it's wrong. It's what they do.

USA isn't the only country with the fuel strip problems, USA isn't the only country using  ethanol fuel. 

I kind of figured that we can't be the only one's just never really researched it. Just another mystery from the legendary motorcycles of Germany.....

14 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning KDeline

They are a BMW dealer, they have the NEED to tell you something even if it's wrong. It's what they do.

USA isn't the only country with the fuel strip problems, USA isn't the only country using  ethanol fuel. 

This reminds me of what Don Eilenberger joked about when the fuel pump non-sense reared it's head the first time around. 

Eilenberger's Axiom

I'm betting BMW's solution will be some sort of clamp on ring, with a special tool to install it (probably an Oetker type design) allowing the dealer 30 minutes labor time to do the job (regardless of bike model..)

And I'm sure based on BMW's usual reactions to these sort of things:

1. What problem?

2. Oh, that problem. First we've heard of it.

3. You caused it

4. Your environment caused it (fuel properties usually)

5. We have no problem

Is at step #4 now... so I'm certain they've never heard of the problem in Europe.. (said with tongue firmly in cheek..) It's caused by bad US karma.

aggieengineer

I had a fuel strip failure during the first few weeks of owning my 2008 model. I don't know what was in the tank between manufacture and when I took possession of it. In the last 12 years, I haven't had any further problem, but the tank almost never has ethanol in it. Not enough evidence to draw any conclusion, but enough to make me curious.

Knocking on wood here, but my ‘07 still has the original fuel strip. I almost always use Sunoco 91. Learned recently that I can get this without ethanol just over the MA line in NH. Station is 13 miles away but I often do casual riding in that direction so it is not a problem to fill when passing by. I have also started to use this for all my small motor requirements.

John