IGNORED

Remember which bike you're riding

Rougarou

or have coffee first.

I alternate bikes, 2019 GSA one week, 2006 RT the next week.  Yesterday, I hope on the GSA at 0530, just slightly chilly, so down the road, I decide, hands, you need to be warmed up a bit.  I flick the heater rocker on and the bike dies, hmmmm, momentarily thinking damn, the bike is too new to have problems and at that point I realize, wrong "heater rocker",.....it was the kill switch for the bike,......duh me.......quickly flicked it back up and viola', engine fires back up.

RT heater rocker

image.png.31ffa835d25679890c8a18b637b313f6.png

GSA right side

image.png.493b0fc136d7d9f2793435781f1cd359.png

Happens. My current truck has a shift on the center console. (about five years now) Every once in a while I reach for the column shifter that isn’t there. :classic_biggrin:

13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Happens. My current truck has a shift on the center console. (about five years now) Every once in a while I reach for the column shifter that isn’t there. :classic_biggrin:

Ya, the wife's GMC just requires a momentary twist of the key and it'll continue the start.  I get in my '89 Chevy truck and will give that momentary twist,....and immediately wonder why it didn't continue to start:dontknow:

• Smile 1

I keep reaching for the stick shifter and clutch in my wife's car with an automatic, it's been two and a half years since we sold the old one with the stick.

The worst is going to, or from, a bike with a right foot shift, left foot brake, old school. Bang that shifter reaching for the brake!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

The left hand lever on my Vespa is the rear brake, not a clutch. Miguel

Keep getting reminded of that fact, do you?

I alternate bikes like that too..  On my 2000 R 1200 C,  I have the old style paddles for turn signals - not on the 1250 RT.  Also, the foot pegs are slightly forward compared to the RT.   Sometimes, my feet hit air on the first change-over.  :dontknow:

Yeah, first world problems. I know.  Guess I will have to live with them.

I haven't ever had any issues going back & forth between left side & right side shifter bikes, no real issues riding a scooter with L/H side hand brake lever. 

I have had some issues from time to time when I get on my old Honda 4 wheeler if I haven't ridden it in a while.  That darn thing has a left side shifter but the shift pattern is upside down with neutral all the way at the top & shift lever down to go into higher gears. Works good if I'm paying attention but if I don't keep my attention on it then shifting is always an unknown event. Then couple that upside shift pattern with a left side hydraulic hand brake lever where the clutch lever should be & it can get interesting at times.  

When I was a young pup racing flat track I had a Bridgestone 175cc (Hurricane model?)with what was called a rotary shift.  Shift pattern was 1,2,3,4,N,1,2,3,4 etc by pressing down on shifter. I was shifting into 4th gear and missed a gear. I thought I was in between 3rd and 4th but had actually over-shifted past 4th into neutral. I pushed down ending up in first gear at 60+mph. No slipper clutch or rev limiters back then. Out of pure luck, not skill, I pulled the clutch lever in before I crashed or the piston came out of the top of the motor. I never knew a single cylinder 2-stroke could rev that high and continue to run. Only bike I ever rode with a rotary shift tranny. 

I ride 7 bikes and drive 5 cars / trucks.   I never have trouble with the bikes but my Wife’s Mercedes gives my trouble sometimes.    It’s a First World Problem I know.  

On most Cessnas, there is a lever on the floor that selects which fuel tank you are using: left wing tank, or right wing tank.  And generally, the lever has four positions: left, right, both, or off.   However, on a 1967 Cessna 210, the lever has only 3 positions, left-off-right.  I can recall taxiing for departure and going through my checklist and putting the lever in the center position.  And then, a few moments later, the engine begins to stutter.  Ooops.  Not a problem while on the ground.