IGNORED

Fuel Smell

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Howdy,

Pretty strong smell of gasoline when the engine is running on my 88K 02 R1150RT. No odor when the bike is just sitting, and no sign of leakage that is easily discernable.

What do you guys think...?

Steve in So Cal

Les is more

Have you had the tupperware off to look for the leak?

There was a fuel line problem that was the subject of a recall a while back. It had to do with Oetker clamps that weren't fully crimped at the quick disconnects. That would be a good starting place. Also, if you've done any work where you shifted the tank back without diconnecting it, it's concievable that your fuel rails could be cracked. These are just a couple of things we've run into.

My 03 had a leak in the fuel pressure regulator.

Same symptoms as your are experiencing.

Put your nose down close to the running engine & try to pinpoint the area that the smell is originating from.

Mine was on the right side.

Fortunately it was replaced under warranty as the regulator is hard to access.

Have you checked the fuel cap, I had similar probs a while back, and realised I hadn't shut the fuel cap properly after the last fill up blush.gif. I guess it was the movement of the bike shaking the fuel around that made it smell when riding and no smell when stopped

AdventurePoser

Thanks, everybody...I just don't want to go up as a fireball whilst blitzing down the Pomona Fwy... grin.gif

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Not to hijack the thread, but what Leslie said;

Sliding the fuel tank back....cracking the rails?

Is this a no no as in sliding back a few inces to access the front shock?? tongue.gif

Les is more

Not a no-no. It's done all the time. But it does need to be done carefully. The rails have some flexibility but can be brittle.

Not to hijack the thread, but what Leslie said;

Sliding the fuel tank back....cracking the rails?

Is this a no no as in sliding back a few inces to access the front shock??

Now you tell me. I changed front shock the other day and had leak at the plastic to ruber pipe connection, had to change out the crimp clamp with a screw type. BTDT

Be careful! I just spent most of this weekend driving to Ft. Worth and back to pick my RT up after 3 months in the shop. They finally decided one of the quick connects had split, causing a leak. After washing the bike, I started it up, and it looks like a spark from a chafed wiring harness (also a known problem) started a fire. Total damage and repairs around $2800, of which insurance covered most. It seems to run ok now, but I'm not sure what got screwed up for the long haul.

Oetker clamps

Is Les the greatest or what! I have no idea what those are or could have told you how to spell it! There is a doctor in the house! thumbsup.gif

Howdy,

Pretty strong smell of gasoline when the engine is running on my 88K 02 R1150RT. No odor when the bike is just sitting, and no sign of leakage that is easily discernable.

What do you guys think...?

Steve in So Cal

I had the same problem with a strong smell, but it only in the morning when I first started it up. Turned out that one of the quick disconnects was cracked. When I dug into it I noticed gas did drip out from where the tranny drain plug is. Left a tell tale stain/ring on the silver cover. Pretty bad leak judging by the stain. I figured it started after I had the ABS serviced. It took awhile (2-3 weeks) before I noticed. I'm damn lucky to, leaked right above the cat. converter.

(Guess thats what I get for not doing my own danged ABS service)

Indy

• 5 weeks later...

Archived