Can someone tell me what this is? (97 1100r)

Dave334478

Accessory power port. Google “powerlet” 

also referred to as a DIN, Hella or BMW power outlet. 

lots of plugs and accessories available online 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dave334478 said:

Manual Starter Solenoid override? 

Evening Dave

Back in your motorcycle's model age BMW called that a "POWER SOCKET", if you look in your riders manual in it's "index" (about all the way to back of riders manual) the index will point out the pages in your manual that pertain to the power socket.  A few  of those early lower power sockets were only rated for 5 amps so a second one was added (by dealer or rider) just behind the original & hooked directly  to the starter's big 12v post & ground using a 15 amp inline fuse. 

On the 1100 (R) bike I have also seen that lower power socket hooked through a 12v key on  circuit so the power socket goes on & off with the key. 

58 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Accessory power port. Google “powerlet” 

also referred to as a DIN, Hella or BMW power outlet. 

lots of plugs and accessories available online 

Thanks

5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Dave

Back in your motorcycle's model age BMW called that a "POWER SOCKET", if you look in your riders manual in it's "index" (about all the way to back of riders manual) the index will point out the pages in your manual that pertain to the power socket.  Some of those power sockets were only rated for 5 amps so a second one was added just behind the original & hooked directly  to the starter's big 12v post & ground using a 15 amp inline fuse. 

On the 1100 (R) bike I have also seen that lower power socket hooked through a 12v key on  circuit so the power socket goes on & off with the key. 

The "Riders Manual" is the one thing I didn't get with the bike :(

If you look around you may be able to find a pdf online or a paper copy on eBay. If you want one - not really needed as the internet can answer about any question, but some of us do like a paper manual still. 

1 hour ago, Dave334478 said:

The "Riders Manual" is the one thing I didn't get with the bike :(

2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

If you look around you may be able to find a pdf online or a paper copy on eBay. If you want one - not really needed as the internet can answer about any question, but some of us do like a paper manual still. 

The service manual, which can be found online free in multiple locations, leaves out a lot of things.  I located a Riders Manual at MAX BMW for $23 but I hate paying for information like that.  

SEO has has hidden so much freely available information from us just so someone can profit from it, it really rubs me the wrong way.

I've already found all the info I've needed (to date) in these forums. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. 

Thanks guys.

Aside from powering accessories like heated clothing, and if is not switched through the ignition, then it is also convenient way to plug in you battery maintainer.

• 3 months later...

Dave334478 mentions "service manual, which can be found online free in multiple locations".

Can anyone recommend a particularly good download site?

Any useful information for a 1997 R1100RT would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
King Herald

I used mine to power my GPS on a couple of long trips, with a suitable adaptor plugged in, but then found my boot touched it.... so I re-drilled the plastic housing and moved the socket to the top face of the cover.

But then I got a proper hard wired GPS and never actually used the socket again......:4317:

• 4 weeks later...
Gary E Reynolds

That’s a BMW power outlet 12volts. Pick up an adapter on line. Beemer Boneyard or Bob’s BMW