IGNORED

Long Distance Ride Tips

MichiganBob

On 2/16/2021 at 4:49 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

If there's no traffic nearby, stretch while you're riding.  stand up on your footpegs, flex your legs/butt to get the blood circulating.  Dangle your legs straight down.  Stick your legs out to the side, and let the wind stretch them to the rear a bit.  Reach back and grab the rack with one hand, twist your upper body.  Repeat using other hand.  Lay down on the tank.  Try to kiss the mirrors.  Anything you can think of to move all the joints in your body, stretch all the muscles.  

This works great for me:18:

My one bit of advice is don't try to over do it.  Know you limits and don't try to exceed them.

It's supposed to be (for older people at least) pleasure and comfort, not gross endurance and suffering.

The 1000 miles in a day is for the young guys. 

(Not that I know how old you are.

dc

On 2/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, David13 said:

My one bit of advice is don't try to over do it.  Know you limits and don't try to exceed them.

It's supposed to be (for older people at least) pleasure and comfort, not gross endurance and suffering.

The 1000 miles in a day is for the young guys. 

(Not that I know how old you are.

dc

^ ^ ^ 

250-300 mile days are my faves.  Dismount every 40-50 mins for a quick stretch and sip of water.  Upon remount, the next 15-20 minutes make me feel new again.  Repeat.  Motel by 5 pm, maybe 4:30.

• Like 1

My tip, do away with time constraints if possible.

Have fun, stop when you want to.

Wear good comfortable boots, it your feet hurt you will be miserable.

See something interesting, stop and check it out.

Stop early for the evening (if possible) and get a good nights rest for the next day.

Last but not least, get your head on straight that you will enjoy yourself.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 8:49 AM, Selden said:
  1. A small tube of water-based cortisone cream. A dab in each ear helps prevent earplugs from getting annoying after several days. Do not use a petroleum based ointment, such as Neosporin, as the lubrication will make it next to impossible to keep earplugs in place.

I tried this suggestion last week on a trip to the Texas Hill Country.  I wear those long green foam earplugs, and have found that after several days, my ears become irritated.  So, I tried this suggestion.  It worked very well for me.  In fact, the water-based cream enabled easier insertion of the foam plugs, and also better sealing as the plugs expanded.  The result was that the noise protection was excellent.  And no irritation during a week of riding.  Nice.

Rather than buy a tube of goo that will get old and crusty and leak in my jacket pocket, I chose to buy a box of individual-use packets from Amazon.  Cheap and highly recommended.

Cap

Joe Frickin' Friday
16 hours ago, Cap said:

I tried this suggestion last week on a trip to the Texas Hill Country.  I wear those long green foam earplugs, and have found that after several days, my ears become irritated.  So, I tried this suggestion.  It worked very well for me.  In fact, the water-based cream enabled easier insertion of the foam plugs, and also better sealing as the plugs expanded.  The result was that the noise protection was excellent.  And no irritation during a week of riding.  Nice.

Rather than buy a tube of goo that will get old and crusty and leak in my jacket pocket, I chose to buy a box of individual-use packets from Amazon.  Cheap and highly recommended.

Cap

Slick (no pun intended).  For a long time I've just used chapstick, since it was already in my pocket.  

On 12/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, dduelin said:

I break the ride into legs punctuated by planned gas stops and a meal stop (or two) so the ride distance to go is only to the next planned stop. Sometimes late into a ride I dig out of the tank bag a mint or piece or candy to enjoy only after a set amount of miles is behind me, say like 25 or 50 more miles. I spend a fair amount of time beforehand route planning and Google looking at where I'm going to stop. Know your expected mpg & tank range and plan gas stops with plenty of cushion instead of stretching to make the leg, particularly with SS1000s where we usually have plenty of extra time. If running on a road with limited fuel stops it might mean two short legs of 100 and 150 miles instead of trying to stretch one to 250 miles, example using a bike of with a safe range of 250 miles. Traffic conditions or wind might cut into mpg and make that 250 mile leg a nailbiter. Truck stops and travel plazas are least likely to be closed, have plumbing problems, or be out of gasoline plus I know the physical layout of the highway exit or intersection. Plan and execute. The IBA site has a suggested ride log to use or make up your own and fill it out every stop and put the receipts in a zip lock bag or zipper file. A SS1000 is relatively easy to do within the time limit but don't waste time. IBA rides are exercises in time management. My first SS1000 was 22 hours and I did some things all wrong such as not following much of a plan, riding too fast on too many small two lane roads, and it rained. After that one they ran a much smoother 16 to 18 hours.

This is just me talking but I make a point of prepping and completing at least one SS1000 on every street bike I've had since 2006. R1200RT, ST1300, NC700X, Tiger 800, Goldwing. I can't really say that one was better at it then the others, even seats (stock, Sargent, Russell) and wind management didn't come into play. The common thing was ability to hydrate and snack in the saddle and a mental attitude that I was going to have fun doing it.

Just catching up on this thread but these are great tips and very similar to how I travel across the US. 

On 2/17/2021 at 12:52 AM, MichiganBob said:

Just wondering ... has anyone used smelling salts for a quick pick me up on a long ride? 

MB

Nope but a ridding buddy turned me on to peppermint life savers (Mentioned earlier in this thread) not sure what about them give me a perk but on a long day or if I am feeling tired I stop and pop a peppermint and it gives me a bit of a charge. 

On 12/19/2020 at 6:17 PM, Groanup said:

Great suggestions so far.

No matter where, when, or for how long I ride, I find that having some Aleve (or pain reliever of your choice) with me is always a good thing.

I used to be young and tough... :old:

We called it Vitamin N (for Naproxin Sodium) in the Scouts.  First item on the packing list.  Riding, hiking, canoeing.  Ear plugs then, too.