IGNORED

Wow Hogs Can Fly!

TEWKS

Aftermarket ideas. :dontknow: How about a piece of precut flat black or carbon tape insert to break up that front cowl? A bent piece of tubing attached the side of the cowling? You’d need to drill a couple of holes to attach it and it’d only be adventure fluff. This is what’s called prettying up a pig, homestyle. :classic_biggrin:

57EB6622-0F9D-4307-97E1-5911F8AEA138.jpeg

That is it. I am riding it home now. So far the motor is more KTM 1290 than gs 1200 water head. 

About to hit the Twisties. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Whip said:

That is it. I am riding it home now. So far the motor is more KTM 1290 than gs 1200 water head. 

About to hit the Twisties. 

Why would you run over Jan? :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well that dispels any myth if there ever was one about needing a BMW to belong to BMWST! :thumbsup: Hope it turns out to be a real smile maker! :yes:

These are my comments during the ride.

Engine...So far more like the KTM 1290 than the 1200 GS waterhead meaning it spins up faster and feels faster.   I need to understand the  adjustments for the Suspension. 

The motor reminds me of my (v-2) Tuono ... in a KTM 990 adv frame. 

Just finished riding through the canyon. It doesn't suck up the bumps as good as the 990. The bars are currently very low and  wide. The tires had 55 and 47 in them the first time I checked. The bike felt much better when I lowered it to 44/37

Very easy to adjust your line mid corner at speed. 

Accelerates hard

Brakes have good feel and stop fast. 

The throttle is soft (easy to turn) and makes riding when you have to constantly adjust your speed very comfortable.

Mirrors are not that great....may get better when I rotate the bars forward. 

I started in "sport" mode and then finished in "ride. " Ride mode seems to work better for me in the canyon. Sport was a bit touchy and not very forgiving mid corner. 

Windshield was not great. Did not protect very well and didn’t have the right angle to properly deflect the wind. My 2004 GSA was the same way and Cee Bailey (no longer making bike shields) came up with a more upright solution and it was much better.

Seat was not a torture device but was too soft and needs to be replaced. 

Pegs felt like they were in the right place but like the KTMs they are too small. 

It has a couple blank places in the mode settings area so I can mix and match the throttle response and suspension settings. Along with engine braking. I will mess with that stuff tomorrow.

When I first got on the PA temps were near 90 and I could feel some heat on the back of my legs at the stop lights leaving Pueblo.... at the stop lights in Canyon City I didn’t notice any heat at all. 

Edited by Whip
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There’s already one for sale on advrider, mods are going to have a hard time tamping down the bumps. But I have signed up for one of their demo events, for a company to make such a radical departure from their product line with success is a rare feat so thought I’d see what the stir is all about. 

fourteenfour

is the advrider sale a "did not fit" sale or "I got one first and if you want it pay me lots extra" type of sale?

Yeah, the wind protection was seriously lacking at speed. It needs a peg lowering kit too and bar risers, at least for me. I just didn't fall in love with it. 

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/bmw-r-1250-gs-vs-harley-davidson-pan-america-the-trans-atlantic-adv-showdown?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06/12/2021_CT&utm_term=Common Tread | Combined

I saw this comparison at Revzilla. I think they got it pretty close to how I feel except the HD is MUCH lighter than the GS in real world application. I was doing donuts with the HD is some sand and dropped it. I lifted it with one hand using the subframe under the seat. Also at hoonin speeds through the canyon the HD showed no signs of the dreaded wobble that I fought on my BMW Rallye. The H-D feels very much like my 950/990 KTMs with more motor and better breaks. 

• Like 2

Stopped by the local HD dealer today to look at the Pan American.  They had one in the Creamsicle paint scheme. Don't care for the paint and thought it interesting that it had a cable activated clutch.  Stay with what you know I guess was the rational. It definitely looks better than the photos. 

Three sales personnel standing around and none bothered to speak. I've bought two bikes from that dealer and at one time knew everyone in the dealership. It changed ownership a few years back along with all the sales folks I guess. Hauntingly familiar from the days when they had Buells. Hell, I just happened to be wearing a Harley t-shirt as well!  Didn't seem the least bit interested in pushing Harleys newest model. 

• Like 2

Funny, I also went back today and the Creamsicle that they had was gone, or at least out of sight. I had one sales guy approach and say hi but he let me wander around. No bikes at all to speak of, not sure if it’s the new sales model of keeping them scarce and prices high or the COVID effect. :dontknow: I do want to see the Pan in Grey! :yes:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been to a few dealers lately, hardly any new bikes on the floor, it's been like that most of the last year. A surge in sales, and a lack of production. Good news really for The Motor Company that their product is still heavy in demand.

On 6/21/2021 at 5:40 PM, MikeB60 said:

Stopped by the local HD dealer today to look at the Pan American.  They had one in the Creamsicle paint scheme. Don't care for the paint and thought it interesting that it had a cable activated clutch.  Stay with what you know I guess was the rational. It definitely looks better than the photos. 

Three sales personnel standing around and none bothered to speak. I've bought two bikes from that dealer and at one time knew everyone in the dealership. It changed ownership a few years back along with all the sales folks I guess. Hauntingly familiar from the days when they had Buells. Hell, I just happened to be wearing a Harley t-shirt as well!  Didn't seem the least bit interested in pushing Harleys newest model. 

Probably lower margin. 

fourteenfour
11 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I've been to a few dealers lately, hardly any new bikes on the floor, it's been like that most of the last year. A surge in sales, and a lack of production. Good news really for The Motor Company that their product is still heavy in demand.

locally the dealers near me had a quite a few bikes delivered the last week of June so they would have bikes for the fourth of July holiday,  the Indian dealers are just fading away with so few bikes there is no real incentive for people to go and look

sounds like we may have to revise the website name, something like BMWHDsporttouring? or just drop the bmw part... the rides may change  but the peeps are still hangin in there

fourteenfour
2 hours ago, SANTA said:

sounds like we may have to revise the website name, something like BMWHDsporttouring? or just drop the bmw part... the rides may change  but the peeps are still hangin in there

If Harley does a RT then all bets are off

• Smile 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...