Jump to content
TEWKS

Wow Hogs Can Fly!

Recommended Posts

AZgman

Great review from Baldy.

Share this post


Link to post
RandyShields
11 hours ago, AZgman said:

Great review from Baldy.

Yes, he really liked the bike -- particularly the engine and suspension.  (But I've seen a lot of his reviews where he likes the bike and says he would buy one.)  With all the positive reviews, it seems like HD has a winner on their hands; and they already have the after-market machine humming.  My only concern is whether it will hold up and be a good long-term value.  They have cracked the code with the V-Twin, so I'm hoping this is a reliable motorcycle.  Time will tell.  Some of their innovations may also push the other manufacturers to up their game. Can't wait for online reviews from our board members!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS

Cycle World   :revit:

 

752F595C-D606-4EAB-8CDA-054E2A3EE920.jpeg
 

Rotation ^ :classic_biggrin:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
RTinNC

I just watched Baldy's review and seems like he (and Harley) nailed it!!   I am really happy for HD and hope this helps them right the ship. 

 

If the dealers embrace it then it will be a huge success.  Let's hope ! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
AZgman

I rode the Pan America today at the Harley demo event. He is my take in stream of consciousness mode:

 

First let me state that I ride a 2017 R1200GS set up for the street; lowered suspension, cast wheels, Road Smart III tires. Second, the demo was in Phoenix where is was 98 degrees today. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and I weigh 170 lbs.

 

The demo was really low key. Easy registration process, a quick overview of the bike and off we went, totally by ourselves with the route marked out by Orange arrows placed a each right turn. Total time was about 30 minutes, but I was offered additional time once we got back and was offered to readjust the bike to address any concerns I had.

 

The good:

The bike is priced right, handles well, and has plenty of grunt. It is smooth and revs freely, much like the water cooled boxer does. Engine noise was about as loud as the GS. Gearing was about the same as my GS. The wind screen is low, even in it's high position (which unlike my GS can be adjusted on the fly). It did a pretty good job in the high position, and I was surprised how good it was. However, it was not as good  at speed as the Vstream on my GS. The auto height gizmo is seamless. Other than the indicator on the dash, I wouldn't know it was there. The bike feels narrow and not at all top heavy. I does not look as ugly as the pictures in real life. The mirrors work OK, not the best, but about the same as the GS mirrors. The dash is OK, but not as good as the TFT display on a BMW. The bike has 2 seat height adjustments and 3 different height seats. I had the standard height seat and in the low position it was cramped. In the high position it was OK, but it had less seat to peg distance than the GS does. The seat itself was quite comfortable, but I was only on it for 30 minutes.

 

The bad:

The switchgear does not feel the highest of quality and with gloves on I had a really hard time with the turn signal control. I just could not tell if I had pushed it in to cancel it or to the side to activate it. My riding buddy, who was on the intercom with me was laughing at my efforts. The back brake SUCKED. If you think BMWs have weak back brakes, you ain't experienced a bad rear brake yet. The engine puts out a fair amount of heat. Way more than my GS. The bike uses a coil pack located on the left side of the engine and I kept rubbing up against it, and it got hot. The exhaust makes the GS sound throaty. 

 

Would I buy one? Maybe if price was an issue, but I rode home on a superior bike. That said, this is an amazing first effort by HD and with a couple of years of revisions, it should be a very serious contender.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Whip

Thanks for taking the time

 

Very good review IMO....(I have not been close to a PA).

 

 

Thanks again

 

L

Share this post


Link to post
RTinNC

Thanks for your thoughts!   I hope to ride one as well but last I checked no demo events even close to Charlotte.  However,  I may attend Americade in Lake George in September and there will be demos there.   Sounds like how Harley used to set up demo rides for years at Americade.  They were the ONLY manufacturer that let you just to ride on your own following the route marked by big orange arrows.  Next to BMW Harley was always the best organized demo rides. 

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS

Just a really great picture in the Motorcycle Daily review. :java:
050521Middle2-scaled.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Ponch
On 4/30/2021 at 2:47 PM, AZgman said:

I rode the Pan America today at the Harley demo event. He is my take in stream of consciousness mode:

 

First let me state that I ride a 2017 R1200GS set up for the street; lowered suspension, cast wheels, Road Smart III tires. Second, the demo was in Phoenix where is was 98 degrees today. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and I weigh 170 lbs.

 

The demo was really low key. Easy registration process, a quick overview of the bike and off we went, totally by ourselves with the route marked out by Orange arrows placed a each right turn. Total time was about 30 minutes, but I was offered additional time once we got back and was offered to readjust the bike to address any concerns I had.

 

The good:

The bike is priced right, handles well, and has plenty of grunt. It is smooth and revs freely, much like the water cooled boxer does. Engine noise was about as loud as the GS. Gearing was about the same as my GS. The wind screen is low, even in it's high position (which unlike my GS can be adjusted on the fly). It did a pretty good job in the high position, and I was surprised how good it was. However, it was not as good  at speed as the Vstream on my GS. The auto height gizmo is seamless. Other than the indicator on the dash, I wouldn't know it was there. The bike feels narrow and not at all top heavy. I does not look as ugly as the pictures in real life. The mirrors work OK, not the best, but about the same as the GS mirrors. The dash is OK, but not as good as the TFT display on a BMW. The bike has 2 seat height adjustments and 3 different height seats. I had the standard height seat and in the low position it was cramped. In the high position it was OK, but it had less seat to peg distance than the GS does. The seat itself was quite comfortable, but I was only on it for 30 minutes.

 

The bad:

The switchgear does not feel the highest of quality and with gloves on I had a really hard time with the turn signal control. I just could not tell if I had pushed it in to cancel it or to the side to activate it. My riding buddy, who was on the intercom with me was laughing at my efforts. The back brake SUCKED. If you think BMWs have weak back brakes, you ain't experienced a bad rear brake yet. The engine puts out a fair amount of heat. Way more than my GS. The bike uses a coil pack located on the left side of the engine and I kept rubbing up against it, and it got hot. The exhaust makes the GS sound throaty. 

 

Would I buy one? Maybe if price was an issue, but I rode home on a superior bike. That said, this is an amazing first effort by HD and with a couple of years of revisions, it should be a very serious contender.

 

 

I was there earlier in the day. I did a video too. The difference is that I am 6'5, 34" inseam and 275. I rode the base PA. The engine has the beans for sure. In rain mode, it felt like a torquier version of my old RT, in sport mode, it was unleashed. I didn't have heat issues, but I rode earlier in the day. The seat was in the high position as was the windscreen and I was cramped and getting a lot of wind. Too much above 50-55. I think it's a good value proposition, but I had some things that would need to be fixed for it to work for me. One is a peg lowering kit, a much bigger windscreen and bar risers. I'd also tune the throttle response in sport as it's too sensitive. Then there's luggage. I wasn't impressed with what I saw. I think it's a good platform and probably would work for most out of the box, just not me. Lastly, I wasn't taken with it, meaning on an emotional level. It's like meeting a beautiful woman and then having nothing in common, no attraction on an emotional level. If HD made a sport tourer based on this engine/platform that was RT like, I'd definitely check that out, but I don't ride dirt, never will and it needs to much to make it right for me. The other thing is, I don't really care for the LCD tech stuff. I don't need a nav or a stereo or anything like that a lot of bikes are coming with. It's one of the reasons I still have my 2009. That said, I think it will do well, I hope it does well and I think it's a good value. Oh yeah, the clutch engagement was high and narrow. I imagine the bike I had was beaten on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
RandyShields
2 hours ago, Ponch said:

If HD made a sport tourer based on this engine/platform that was RT like, I'd definitely check that out

I bet the brass there has big plans for this engine.  It sounds like a revolutionary engine.:4322:

Share this post


Link to post
Paul De

Oh, how I want the American manufacturers (HD and Polaris) to succeed, but air borne or not that thing is fugly!   Prolly should buy one as 20 years from now it will be as collectable and valuable as the HD boat tail!

 

Restored Boat Tail – 1971 Harley-Davidson FX Super Glide | Bike-urious

 

Share this post


Link to post
Ponch
10 hours ago, RandyShields said:

I bet the brass there has big plans for this engine.  It sounds like a revolutionary engine.:4322:

 

It has the beans, just needs more wind protection, real panniers and topcase. I like the fact that it doesn't require valve adjustments. 

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS

A good explanation and visual of the adaptive ride height system.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Whip

I am leaning back to the KTM 1290 R.

 

 

Edited by Whip

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS
32 minutes ago, Whip said:

I am leaning back to the KTM 1290 R.

 

 


Nice bike for sure but, it looks like you’ll be a year older before you can get the newest model:dontknow: 

Share this post


Link to post
Whip
7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:


Nice bike for sure but, it looks like you’ll be a year older before you can get the newest model:dontknow: 

I like the man’s bike not the new girly one.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
eddd
1 hour ago, Whip said:

I like the man’s bike not the new girly one.

 

 

 

Didn't you already own the girly SMT? :lurk: 
 

 

I miss that little Austrian sweetheart

Edited by Whip

Share this post


Link to post
AZgman

I only have one thing to say Whip: Ducati MultiStrada V4...

 

 

 

 

I am scare of HOT Italian women. 

Edited by Whip

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS

Maintenance costs on a hot Italian sounds way more expensive in comparison to an Austrian sweetheart. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
AZgman

I think not. No Desmo on the MS V4.

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS
15 hours ago, AZgman said:

I think not. No Desmo on the MS V4.


Maybe the real question should have been about reliability? Will the hot Italian work you into a frenzy making you believe you’re something you’re not? Possibly putting you into a situation where fantasy and reality tragically collide into a ditch leaving you a stranded broken man? :dontknow:
 

The Austrian sweetheart on the other hand also carries its own perils. She’s built strong but requires a man good with his hands and mind. She’ll plow the field all day long but, expects that man to take care of her late into the evening. He’d better have the proper tools and very specific fluids she requires if the man expects work to continue the next morning. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Whip

"Test rode one last night, I was rather impressed... Felt like a Ktm 990 more than a GS...and boy does it have POWER.. ill be buying one soon... and I've always been in the KTM crowd"  ......

 

Quote from AdvRider.com

 

OKAY.......If that is true the PA could be perfect.

 

I am gonna wait.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...