IGNORED

Wow Hogs Can Fly!

TEWKS

unless they get stupid on the price they will be more successful selling this than BMW with their foray into big cruisers; seriously my dealer has eight and six I know are the same inventory numbers in three months

On 1/30/2021 at 8:02 PM, TEWKS said:

Tough looking riding gear. :thumbsup: I’m not sure where they harvest the material to manufacture it. It’d probably have to come from a very angry donkey in order to price it anywhere near BMW’s  offerings. :spittake:

pan-america-gallery-01.jpg?impolicy=myre

I am sure I read somewhere that this is a collaboration (i.e. rebranding) with Rev’it.

• Like 1

River Rock Grey works very well on this bike. 

harley-davidson-pan-america-1250-1.jpg

THIS just made it a lot more interesting. :thumbsup:

• Valves: Chain-driven, DOHC, hydraulic self-adjusting lifters, intake & exhaust VVT; four valves per cylinder
  • Like 2

I don’t hate it, almost surprisingly so.......  it will be interesting to see if it goes the way of the VR1000, VRod, Buell, Livewire etc.   They could be on to something but they will need to continue to market to something other than their core demographic and be willing to look ahead.....not back.

• Like 1

Well, after chasing Whips disappearing thread...This isn't so bad. Weight is high. I expected that. In Super Tenere territory. Or higher. Horsepower is good. Not a KTM, but more than I expected them to offer. Fuel tank is a failure. I expect real world mileage under 200 before you need gas. Price is not going to stop these from selling. Height adjusting suspension is a great concept! This could be a bike that is better than the specs indicate. Or not, One would have to ride it to see if H-D "got it". Looks are not a selling point. I would have to get used to the Dyna Glide or whatever fairing look. BUT...looks like they may have actually put functional lighting on the bike at least. One should reserve comments about looks until you see the bike in person, so there is that. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Weight is high. I expected that. In Super Tenere territory. Or higher. Horsepower is good. Not a KTM, but more than I expected them to offer. Fuel tank is a failure. I expect real world mileage under 200 before you need gas.

Looks like HD targeted the GS, makes since to me as its the "Gold Standard!"  When compared to a GS, the dry weight is less at 534 LBS vs 549 LBS for the GS, fuel capacity is 5.6 gallons vs 5.2 for a standard GS with very similar fuel mileage estimates.  More HP than a GS but max torque is less and at a higher rpm, might be an issue for the off road guys.  I'm still intrigued...     

The no valve adjustment requirement is huge in my mind, anyway. The look is funky but like T just mentioned, in person you may see what the designers were going after. :dontknow: And again, I’ve bought more than one bike I thought was hideous at first sight. :spittake: Can’t wait to have the moto journalists get a crack at it. :revit: I hope it’s a success for the company. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

The no valve adjustment requirement is huge in my mind, anyway. 

I've cracked the cans on my Rt twice in the 140k existence, neither time did I have to adjust the valves, they were within the specs.  Dunno if I'll crack the cans on the GSA,....seems a waste of effort.

But I can see where the omission in any recommended maintenance would be a plus, due to the not having a requirement.

But, doesn't Harley manuals have "tighten all nuts and bolts after each ride" as a primary :dontknow:

• Smile 1
1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

But, doesn't Harley manuals have "tighten all nuts and bolts after each ride" as a primary

Yeah I’d say the old paint shakers of the 60’s & 70’s were probably a little more maintenance heavy as far as checking fasteners. This bike is completely new blood so its reputation is only now being written. 

• Like 1

$100 as a deposit? Or just for a test ride? Seems that would draw in a very small audience if just to try it out. Thinking its success isn’t going to come from Harley’s current customer base. There’s a few but, mostly outsiders will make or break it. The funny...welcome to Harley now where’s your money! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Looks like HD targeted the GS, makes since to me as its the "Gold Standard!"  When compared to a GS, the dry weight is less at 534 LBS vs 549 LBS for the GS, fuel capacity is 5.6 gallons vs 5.2 for a standard GS with very similar fuel mileage estimates.  More HP than a GS but max torque is less and at a higher rpm, might be an issue for the off road guys.  I'm still intrigued...     

I may have lost something in the kg to lb calculation!  I expect the fuel range still goes to the GS with 49.5 mpg rating from BMW. 

The only way to know is to get some of these on the road and ride one. One thing I am very curious about is pavement manners. The details shown by HD are really pushing off road capabilities. Fine. But if the suspension is too soft or not flexible enough to allow for the changes from off to on road riding that will show up right away. I get the need to infer off road. But sales of GS are strong because they are excellent pavement bikes too! 

35 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I may have lost something in the kg to lb calculation!  I expect the fuel range still goes to the GS with 49.5 mpg rating from BMW. 

2019 GSA......steady at 41-42mpg.  My 13 year older RT gets 46-49.  Same roads, same riding style.

19 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

The real comparison will be how they handle the parking at Starbucks.   

(too soon?)

Mandatory information for any Adventure bike that I might own!

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

The suspension has 7. 5 inches of travel at both ends on the Pan-American.  The ESA has a function where it lowers the bike while stopped and then raises once the rider begins to move.  I've gotten used to not being able to flat foot motorcycles, the only bike I've ever been able to flat foot at a stop was a HD, so not a necessity but does sound like an interesting concept.  HD says it gets 46 MPG so in reality somewhere around 40 like my GS.  

• Like 3

Real world numbers should be out soon. I think one of the vids said an estimated 250 miles out of the tank. That’d be pretty good, right in the middle of the GS and GSA traveling range. :dontknow: 
Anymore than that and 

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Real world numbers should be out soon. I think one of the vids said an estimated 250 miles out of the tank. That’d be pretty good, right in the middle of the GS and GSA traveling range. :dontknow: 
Anymore than that and 

image.gif

Weak bladder!!

Lone_RT_rider
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah I’d say the old paint shakers of the 60’s & 70’s were probably a little more maintenance heavy as far as checking fasteners. This bike is completely new blood so its reputation is only now being written. 

The Milwaukee 8's vibration signature is so much less than the 103 that it caused HD to look at not only the test profile for vibration, but also the amount of material they were using in parts to make sure nothing cracks or breaks. The M8 is butter smooth compared to the 103.  Oh, and the 1250 has basically minimal vibration compared to the M8.  

This is not your grandfathers HD........ 

Shawn

• Like 4
20 hours ago, TEWKS said:

$100 as a deposit? Or just for a test ride? Seems that would draw in a very small audience if just to try it out. Thinking its success isn’t going to come from Harley’s current customer base. There’s a few but, mostly outsiders will make or break it. The funny...welcome to Harley now where’s your money! :classic_biggrin:

I agree, they have the potential to have a success on their hands IF.........1.  It’s reliable.  2. They market it to riders beyond the crowd at Sturgis who most likely will view it as a curiosity.  3. Their sales staff doesn’t shun it like they did with Buell.

They could turn a corner with this, just ironic that the planning for this (and other models that have already been axed) started with the CEO that they fired........

9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

A $43,000 adventure bike!

We all can laugh at CVO prices all we want but one of my local dealers sold seven CVOs before they hit the floor after the 2021 announcement. Supposedly they sell a few thousand of each which is damn amazing if you think about it.

11 minutes ago, Veefore said:

I agree, they have the potential to have a success on their hands IF.........1.  It’s reliable.  2. They market it to riders beyond the crowd at Sturgis who most likely will view it as a curiosity.  3. Their sales staff doesn’t shun it like they did with Buell.

They could turn a corner with this, just ironic that the planning for this (and other models that have already been axed) started with the CEO that they fired........

Given the reactions on most Harley forums I think dealerships are salivating over the bike. Unlike Buell this is a Harley and it fits into a category of bike a good number of their owners have as a second bike.  The previous CEO set them on a path to success but his failure not abandoning markets they could not compete in; no small displacement bikes.  He may have also been pushed out for failing to get a Sporster replacement in place for the EU in the 2021 model year which means no entry level bikes now

All I can think of when seeing this bike is, that engine and chassis would go great towards making a competitor to the RT

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

We all can laugh at CVO prices all we want but one of my local dealers sold seven CVOs before they hit the floor after the 2021 announcement. Supposedly they sell a few thousand of each which is damn amazing if you think about it.

Given the reactions on most Harley forums I think dealerships are salivating over the bike. Unlike Buell this is a Harley and it fits into a category of bike a good number of their owners have as a second bike.  The previous CEO set them on a path to success but his failure not abandoning markets they could not compete in; no small displacement bikes.  He may have also been pushed out for failing to get a Sporster replacement in place for the EU in the 2021 model year which means no entry level bikes now

All I can think of when seeing this bike is, that engine and chassis would go great towards making a competitor to the RT

Kind of makes you wonder what would’ve happened if they had truly embraced the Buell concept and put the bar and shield on the tank…

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rougarou said:

2019 GSA......steady at 41-42mpg.  My 13 year older RT gets 46-49.  Same roads, same riding style.

My '14 RT gets 46-48 unless I get over 70 for extended miles. I get in the low 50's when cruising in the mountains at lower speeds. Figured the shifthead was better according to what I see written here. GSA...might be less with gearing, tires, and bodywork. 

I personally don’t get the Orange and White paint combo (it’s gonna be dubbed the “Creamsicle” you wait :classic_biggrin:) but this all white looks pretty good. :thumbsup: It appears to be an early prototype.

2a2ntgsrctz51.jpg

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Better yet, orange and black special edition : )

Ewww, when I see orange and black, this is what I think of

Peanut Butter Kisses - Candyland Store

My sister in laws slinghot is ewwww, orange and black!!

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

My sister in laws slinghot

Did you ever get to take that for a spin? Something I don’t think I’d like to own but wouldn’t mind trying out. :dontknow:

Lone_RT_rider

You want to know what really drove the HD engineers nuts? The styling group did that water slide HD logo that continues from the tank to the front fairing. Think about all the part variation between the points where those parts visually continue.  Aligning that logo vertically is a stack-up nightmare.  

• Like 2

The HD marketing guys BS is working on me.

I just watched videos of the new KTM 1290 R and then pictures side by side with the Pan A.

I like the HD better.

BTW....I already own a GSA and won't be selling or trading it.

L

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Whip said:

Is that real?

I’m pretty sure you can have it made. I don’t think it’s one of their standard colors but it is available by special request. Or, at least it was. :read: 

Added Edit...After typing that I took a quick peek at their site, looks like Orange is in their standard line. :thumbsup: I didn’t remember seeing that in a recent shopping trip. 

Lone_RT_rider
On 2/22/2021 at 12:10 PM, TEWKS said:

Shawn, auntie has a cameo! :clap: A worthy 26 minutes.

There are different Goulding sidecars throughout the entire video. My grandfather is at 9:30 on the video.

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider

Yep, that's Grandpa. He won Jack Pine both on a single (regular motorcycle, BSA actually) and with an HD side car rig pretty close to what you see in that pic.  I have one of the cowbells.  He told me at one point that he was the only rider to ever win Jack Pine in both of those categories. I'm not sure if that's still true, but considering the completely different skill base needed for those scenarios, that's amazing to me now. 

Shawn

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Whip said:

Is that real?

If you get one, you will have to use another helmet or get your red with white stripes painted so it doesn't clash!

Well done film.  Very professional. That said, they sidestep a bit the issue of "late to the game" by referring back to the origins of the company.  All true, and they were there first, but they are still late to the modern game and have a lot to catching up to do.  I hope it goes well and this is the start of a good option for off road riders. Just hope that chain can hang in there; it looked pretty floppy in the footage.  I do want to ride one of these.  The engine looks fantastic.

Shout out to Shawn -- great to see Aunt Dot in the history! 

Fingers crossed for the Motor Company!  

• Like 2