IGNORED

Wow Hogs Can Fly!

TEWKS

10 hours ago, fatbob said:

I saw the PA at the Denver IMS last January.   Looks much better in person than in photos.    

Fixed that for ya!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dennis Andress said:

Landing is the most important part.

Most heavy adventure bike manufacturers tend to scrap that part of the vid/photos. Probably for good reason. :eek:

On 12/12/2020 at 1:29 AM, fatbob said:

I saw the PA at the Denver IMS last January.   Looks much better in person than in photos.    

Yep ... saw it in NYC at the IMS show and thought it really looked good.  Harley fit and finish has always been top notch. 

6 hours ago, fatbob said:

I hope HD’s ADV bike and BMW’s big Cruiser are both successful!   Man that sounds strange doesn’t it!

Jake Tucker thinks it sounds perfectly logical...:grin:

image.jpeg.00d0cb4d3d408a656d25568964ff31c3.jpeg

7 hours ago, fatbob said:

I hope HD’s ADV bike and BMW’s big Cruiser are both successful!   Man that sounds strange doesn’t it!  

I suspect Harley may have more luck in this.

1 hour ago, fourteenfour said:

I suspect Harley may have more luck in this.

Only if they reach out to new customers..... and their history on this subject is very poor. They did kill Buell after all when they treated customers like children who would eventually "trade up" to a "real" mo'cicle.:3:

• Like 1

They'll sell if HD can figure out how to get the 'chrome consultant' involved in the sale.  HD dealers dealers depend on accessory sales for a big part of their profits.  That's why they'll always steer customers to the traditional models.  If HD doesn't do that, the dealers won't sell them.

I don't know on this one, looks to me like it was designed more by the marketing side than by any (re- the few) actual off-roaders in their ranks. 

I just can't see any actual real off-roaders buying it, maybe some wanna-be on-road adventure newbee's. 

Probably some appeal to the younger bar/nightclub crowd, or Starbucks adventure wanna-be's.

Time will tell, especially on the aftermarket "functional" off-road protective accessories.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Antimatter said:

They'll sell if HD can figure out how to get the 'chrome consultant' involved in the sale.  HD dealers dealers depend on accessory sales for a big part of their profits.  That's why they'll always steer customers to the traditional models.  If HD doesn't do that, the dealers won't sell them.

ADV bikes come with their own specialized accessories which are more than bound to satisfy the dealers. Hell outside of the cruiser riders I don't know of another gang who doesn't change their bike as much.

As for sales, initially they should do well as many Harley riders only non Harley is an ADV bike

https://advrider.com/harley-davidson-announces-pan-america-reveal-date/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=12_15_2020

Poser bike. Too little, too late to the party.

Will most likely be as successful as their e-bike.

Their business model is dying. Their customer base is aging out, used bikes flood the market at low prices.

YMMV

• Like 2

My thoughts on this bike. :5146:

If they price it at 18K (they won’t) and it doesn’t fall apart once the moto journalists get to trash it for a day or two and they actually find it somewhat enjoyable I think there’s hope.

Potential owners can pose it just as well as the typical GS rider can. I mean, the big GS isn’t really a dirt weapon for most.

No getting around that she’s still ugly though. I’ve tried squinting, tilting my head, pouring bleach into one eye and I just can’t find an angle that quells that butt face. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
On 12/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, Bud said:

https://advrider.com/harley-davidson-announces-pan-america-reveal-date/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=12_15_2020

Poser bike. Too little, too late to the party.

Will most likely be as successful as their e-bike.

Their business model is dying. Their customer base is aging out, used bikes flood the market at low prices.

YMMV

FWIW, supposedly there are nearly three thousand Livewires sold.

To put that into perspective, that is more motorcycles than Zero Motorcycles sold in total for 2019.  Three thousand of any model is not something to be dismissed

16 hours ago, Bud said:

Different from what?

Simple fact is Harley with one model out sold and out netted Zero in electric motorcycle sales. Zero has to sell their technology to others because they cannot get traction. Their sales are too low to encourage new dealers of the line and when you do have problems it can take time to get a fix; SR/F models had issues with water seepage into some electrical components. Put the two side by side and the workmanship of the Harley just dusts the Zero. While I am not in the market for an EV motorcycle until range numbers top 200 at highway speeds Zero faces bigger hurdles than Harley. Zero's other problem is that more big name brands with far better distribution systems will enter the market soon.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, TEWKS said:

If they price it at 18K (they won’t) 

If you believe the ADV guy’s gossip (they usually nail it) I was wrong  with the “they won’t” . :dontknow: $17-$20 grand depending on how it’s optioned out. Now, it just has to not suck! :rofl:

My what big Brembos you have. ;) :grin: Funny that an American company uses European brakes and a European company uses American brakes. :5146:

1A8EBD7A-7733-41E8-BDCE-07E13649E1A4.jpeg

• 1 month later...
Lone_RT_rider
On 12/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, TEWKS said:

My what big Brembos you have. ;) :grin: Funny that an American company uses European brakes and a European company uses American brakes. :5146:

1A8EBD7A-7733-41E8-BDCE-07E13649E1A4.jpeg

I sat next to the Brembo boys at the PDC when they were working on these. They were very nice Italians.  :) 

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
21 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Got ya, was going to ask if ya had any inside info on the Pan America...:classic_biggrin:

I can't contractually say much, but I can say this. Take any stereotype you think you know from HD and throw it completely out the window. 

Shawn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 12/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, Selden said:

Claimed weight is ~475 pounds, which is in the same neighborhood as an F-bike GS. If I can't pick it up, it doesn't get ridden off road. 

WOW ... it looks heavier.  That is less than a 1250 GSA 

Looks like there’s 30 extra pounds in the exhaust can alone. It (the pipe) is ugly too. The bags will hide the ugliness of the exhaust. That leads to the bags themselves. They sit too high on the bike, IMO. Along with the ugly headlight cowling, that’s three nitpicks I’ve got before even seeing the bike. :dontknow: But, all could be forgiven if the bike’s performance is good and (one big wish) it has hydraulic valve lifters (no adjustments). Oil, tires, chain/sprockets would be nice. Ok, chain & sprockets not so much but, I think they last quite a long while nowadays.

EDFA0A27-16B6-4F56-8ACD-CCDEEBFBA514.jpeg

Anybody else see the lofty luggage? Or is it just me? I’d hate to have to carry the Gorilla Ladder with me or tour. :rofl:
maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Tough looking riding gear. :thumbsup: I’m not sure where they harvest the material to manufacture it. It’d probably have to come from a very angry donkey in order to price it anywhere near BMW’s  offerings. :spittake:

pan-america-gallery-01.jpg?impolicy=myre

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Red said:

What is that finned part right in front of the bash plate?  Not the greatest place to put some important piece of cooling apparatus.

That's probably the regulator, traditional spot for Harley.

Looks ugly to me but so did the 1200RT when it came out, in my opinion.   I'm now on my second 1200RT.  I would be interested in a test ride.

• Like 1

Hehe, I’ve bought more than one bike that on initial impressions, thought was fuguly. Done saying anything. It reminds me of the guy that dates a girl and then tells all. :classic_blush: Months later, he’s buying her a ring. You then both have to quietly develop amnesia if you respect each other. :spittake: It wasn’t me talking BTW. :rofl:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...