IGNORED

Midland GMRS radios

Jerry_75_Guy

Jerry_75_Guy

Well now that I have a PTT switch to hook up to my PRO M1, I need to get off my butt and purchase a GMRS radio.

I'd love a Kenwood, but given that I'll probably soon be unemployed (read: 'need to watch my pennies'), I'm finding it hard to invest ~$200 in a radio that I'l probably only use 2 or 3 times a year.

I have friends that use Midlands, and seem happy enough with them, but the techs at Autocom weren't too impressed with them, and strongly suggested the Kenwoods or ICOMs. In fact they said I might even have to send in the 'non Kenwood' radio so they could make the correct lead to go from radio to PTT.

I hate to be redundant, as I've asked similar questions before, but really, given my circumstance, isn't there a good GMRS radio out there that's compatible with my PRO M1 without having to cough up 200 bucks??

(some of the Midlands even had WX band, which seemed like a nice feature)

I haven't tried Midlands but the low end Motorola radios work fine. You might have to use an Xacto to trim down the diamiter of the plastic as it transitions to the actual connector pin to make sure it seats correctly but other than that, it should work and they can be had for $25. Range is poor on any of them unless you have an external antenna so for bike-to-bike, within a half mile or so, it should work fine. I've got the high-end Kenwood GMRS and my range is only marginally better than the low end FRSs.

i have a cobra, but not the PTT. my cobra is about 4years old works great and has the weather channel capability. using a Pro M1 and a standard autocom part I use vox and my set up work great. Never a problem. Used two weeks ago and I could hear and talk as needed.

The current model (can not remember the number) that replaces mine, is 99.95 at walmart, includes two radios, rechargeable battery and a two radio desk charger. however the travel charger only charges one radio at a time.

I have a pair of Midland GXT500 GMRS/FRS radios I bought for about $50. They work great with my Baehr comm system. My riding buddy has the more expensive Kenwood TK-3101 GMRS radio with an external antenna mounted on the back of his LT. His 2-watt transmit and receive range appears to be no greater than my 5-watt range as determined thru trial and error evaluations with other riders in our group who also have Midland GXT500 radios. His radio is powered directly from his bike so he doesn't have to worry about recharging batteries. I carry both of my radios with me so if the battery dies on one, I replace it with the other. (The charger came with the radios.) Because of their portability, I have used my radios for other activities (camping and caravaning in cars). The Midlands can also use AA batteries so I don't necessarily have to take the charger with me on long motorcycle trips. Another riding buddy who has an LT with an Autocom system hasn't been able to figure out how to configure his Autocom PTT switch with his Midland GXT500 radio, although the Autocom cable plugs into the radio properly and will work through his Autocom if the radio is set on VOX (not desireable since his microphone is hot most of the time from wind noise in helmet and his transmissions mute the music in his fellow riders' helmets). Since his Midland GXT500 is clipped to the side of his tank bag, he uses his left hand to activate his radio's PTT switch when we ride (and this works out OK). To me it's a "no brainer" decision if cost is a major consideration ... go with the $30 (2 for $50) handheld GMRS that will work OK for you. Also, the Midland GXT500 has 10 weather channels. (BTW, I have no affiliation with Midland.) wave.gif

rocketbunny

I can not recommend Midlands, at least with a Starcom (autocom competitor.). I was using a Midland GXT-450? with correct cable and PTT to my Starcom to communicate with 3 friends, 2 with Autocoms and Kenwood radios and one with a Chatterbox X1.

I was having a really hard time talking to them. The conversations would cut out, and when I tried to speak, they had a hard time understanding me. Also. the Midland had a long delay before transmitting, so I had to wait several seconds between pushing the button and starting to talk. Vox was all but useless. I even tried the second radio from my pack to see if the first was malfunctioning. No difference. All this made using it very frustrating and I was beginning to regret selling my Chatterbox X1, which was trouble-free.

A friend convinced me to buy a Kenwood TK3131. Suddenly all the gripes I had with the Midland were solved. The expensive radio really made a difference. The Kenwood actually transmitted more quickly and clearly than my old Chatterbox. Communication went from being a frustrating chore to easy and seamless.

Your experience may vary, but as in many things, I regret cheaping out initially on the radio. As usual, it was more expensive in the end when I had to shell out for what I should have bought in the first place.

Summarized from an Autocom Dealer Bulletin:

Kenwood is discontinuing their budget-priced UBZ-LH14 1/2-watt FRS radio and plans no replacement. In lieu of this low-priced Kenwood, Autocom is recommending the Motorola T6500 and T7400 based on performance and value. The Motorola SX7000, while not as good, is deemed "acceptable."

Autocom does not suggest any other Motorolas or transceivers from any other manufacturer (except the Kenwood XL and XLS models, which are still being manufactured).

I have a pair of Midland GXT500 GMRS/FRS radios I bought for about $50. They work great with my Baehr comm system.

Which Baehr radio cable did you use to hook up to the Midland radio?

Thanks,

Craig

I believe the 2-way radio cable for the Baehr is AKS-03-PT. Then I also needed the PTT-01-01 (PTT) button with cable and a "Y" adapter cable (AKF-03-02) to tie the two of them into the Baehr unit ... all well made, but pricey as I recall. I have to leave the Midland radios' VOX setting on, but the radios won't transmit unless the Baehr PTT button is activated. It's not the way I envisioned it to work, but it does work just fine in my set up.

Aluminum_Butt

I'm using a Midland GXT400 with my Starcom, and it works great. I paid about $60 for a pair, I think.

The main reason I went with this radio is that the audio/mic cable is the same as on my Cobra HH38WXST (or something like that), which is the CB both Starcom and Autocom recommend. So, I have only one cable installed on the bike, and I just plug in whichever radio fits the group I'm riding with.

Jerry_75_Guy
I'm using a Midland GXT400 with my Starcom, and it works great. I paid about $60 for a pair, I think.

The main reason I went with this radio is that the audio/mic cable is the same as on my Cobra HH38WXST (or something like that), which is the CB both Starcom and Autocom recommend. So, I have only one cable installed on the bike, and I just plug in whichever radio fits the group I'm riding with.

That's very useful as I ride with a few Goldwing guys who only use CB.

Thanks!

Archived