Jump to content

Fuel in Tank Winter Storage


MichiganBob

Recommended Posts

Good Morning,

 

What is your view on how much fuel to leave in the tank for the long winter? My daddy said to always top it off. I just add a little Sta-Bil to whatever is in there.  I appreciate your feedback and stay healthy out there.

 

MichiganBob

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Morning,

 

What is your view on how much fuel to leave in the tank for the long winter? My daddy said to always top it off. I just add a little Sta-Bil to whatever is in there.  I appreciate your feedback and stay healthy out there.

 

MichiganBob

MOrning Bob

 

If you have the evap can removed then top it right up, if you still have the emission evap can then fill to bottom of filler ring insert.  Too full with an evap can can ruin & plug the evap can. 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Morning DR. I'm don't know what an "evap can" is, what it looks like, and where to find it? Can you share a brief primer on it and thanks.

 

MB

Morning Bob

 

What year, & model motorcycle? 

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

2018 1200RTW

Morning Bob

 

On your 2018 (still under warranty) should "for-sure" still have the OEM emission evap canister on that motorcycle so don't over-fill it. Your riders manual should show you the correct fill to point when re-fueling.   (don't fill above that point for winter storage)

Link to comment

That's interesting DR. Being an old school guy, I just figured you fill the tank as high as possible. So this evap cannister is in the gas tank? I'll check the owner manual re: filling the tank and take a look in it to see the cannister.

 Yes .. Still under warranty so I'm being careful making any changes. 

Thanks,

 

MB

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

That's interesting DR. Being an old school guy, I just figured you fill the tank as high as possible. So this evap cannister is in the gas tank? I'll check the owner manual re: filling the tank and take a look in it to see the cannister.

 Yes .. Still under warranty so I'm being careful making any changes. 

Thanks,

 

MB

Morning Bob

 

Not inside the fuel tank but up under the tupperware.  You want to leave a little expansion air space so the expanding/contracting fuel level doesn't force raw fuel out into the evap canister ruining the carbon media.

 

That evap canister is a great thing for  winter storage as the fuel tank vents in & out through that so it pretty well  prevents moisture from venting into the fuel tank during storage.

 

 

Max fuel fill 1250.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

A little late to the party here but my practice is to (1) add fuel stabilizer to a nearly empty tank, then (2) add gas so it mixes well, then (3) ride it 5-10 miles home so it gets through the entire fuel system all the way to the injectors/carburetor(s). Drain float bowls if your bike is carburated, of course.

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

I used stabilizer the first winter for my first bike, but never after that.  Never had a problem with spring start/run, and when I sold the bike ten years later, the engine was the healthiest part of the bike.  

 

Current bike is now 11+ years old and has never had stabilizer.  No issues.  I recommend saving your money.

 

As the temperature fluctuates every day while in storage, the density of the air in the fuel tank also fluctuates: the tank inhales and exhales every day, bringing in fresh air with moisture in it.  To minimize this effect, fill the tank completely before storage, as this makes the air bubble smaller and minimizes the total diurnal mass exchange, reducing how much moisture you expose the fuel to.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

  To minimize this effect, fill the tank completely before storage, as this makes the air bubble smaller and minimizes the total diurnal mass exchange, reducing how much moisture you expose the fuel to.  

Always a good idea, and yet I have rarely done it in 30 years, most of the time I have ridden so late into the year that it is snowing when I pull into the driveway, tank almost empty, push it into the corner and cover it. Steel tanks to boot. I always use non oxy fuel, and so far have been lucky with no issues.

It is not what I recommend, but I suck at taking my own advice.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...