IGNORED

Anyone know of reasonable BMW oilhead experts around the New Orleans, LA area

NOLONGERRELEVANT

NOLONGERRELEVANT

I just bought a new (to me) BMW R1100RT 1999 and had it serviced (oil change, brake lines replaced, etc.)  Looking for someone to help with big jobs at a reasonable price.  BTW, an interesting aside, the BMW dealer in the city won't even look at the bike.  Picture of bike below.

2971E752-023B-4748-A0DE-90B00E95E565.jpeg

"BTW, an interesting aside, the BMW dealer in the city won't even look at the bike."

Jeez, that's pathetic. It's hard to find a bike that's easier to work on than that one. I take that as a sign of their incompetence. Probably better to stay away from that place. 

There's nothing you can't do on that bike with a little motivation and interest. We're here to help.  

• Like 3

Cost of repair exceeds value of bike.

Customer freaks, leaves bike w/ dealer.

Takes time, space, and screws up your dept. profitability numbers. So leave repair to the independent shops. 

Now a customer with $18k in his bike?

You have him by the appendages, hey Jim?

NOLONGERRELEVANT
3 hours ago, Jim Moore said:

"BTW, an interesting aside, the BMW dealer in the city won't even look at the bike."

Jeez, that's pathetic. It's hard to find a bike that's easier to work on than that one. I take that as a sign of their incompetence. Probably better to stay away from that place. 

There's nothing you can't do on that bike with a little motivation and interest. We're here to help.  

They will only work on BMWs that are less than 10 years old.  I was shocked by this.  Glad I didn't buy this from that dealer.

24 minutes ago, NOLA Kirk said:

They will only work on BMWs that are less than 10 years old.  I was shocked by this.  Glad I didn't buy this from that dealer.

Afternoon NOLA Kirk

Some dealers will, some dealers won't, &  some only during the off-season when they  have lots of time & plenty of service area space.

I know of a couple of dealers that will only work on the older BMW's in an emergency situation, or for light repairs (like oil changes & light bulbs), but will service them in the off-season. 

Those older bikes take up a lot of dealer space waiting for parts that usually need to be ordered & take time getting there, the younger tecs need to look up everything they do as the younger tecs are not that familiar with the older BMW motorcycles. (plus the dealer computer  isn't a lot of help to them on the older bikes due to very limited interface between the service computer & the motorcycle electronics).

A lot of repair jobs on those older motorcycles are like opening Pandora's box so once they start working on them things keep getting more involved & more complex so the motorcycle takes up a lot of shop time & shop space waiting for parts or waiting customer authorizations.  

Harley has been dong this for years (at least in my area) as none in my area will work on older Harley's due to lack of Tec expertise, lack of quick parts availability,  etc.

• Sad 1

Jeez guys. It's not an R23. It's a first generation oilhead. Simplest bike ever. Say what you will, but I'm not the least bit impressed by that shop.

Don't know if this business is still around but it is listed on the ibmwr.org website: Chuck House Motorsports, 524 S. Claiborne Ave., New Orleans, LA 70112-1312, 504-896-9099. Ibmwr.org gave a good review. Actually did a Google map search for this business and it came up with 355 Iris Ave, Suite D, 504-846-4800. SO, don't know which is correct. Good Luck and nice looking bike.

NOLONGERRELEVANT
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon NOLA Kirk

Some dealers will, some dealers won't, &  some only during the off-season when they  have lots of time & plenty of service area space.

I know of a couple of dealers that will only work on the older BMW's in an emergency situation, or for light repairs (like oil changes & light bulbs), but will service them in the off-season. 

Those older bikes take up a lot of dealer space waiting for parts that usually need to be ordered & take time getting there, the younger tecs need to look up everything they do as the younger tecs are not that familiar with the older BMW motorcycles. (plus the dealer computer  isn't a lot of help to them on the older bikes due to very limited interface between the service computer & the motorcycle electronics).

A lot of repair jobs on those older motorcycles are like opening Pandora's box so once they start working on them things keep getting more involved & more complex so the motorcycle takes up a lot of shop time & shop space waiting for parts or waiting customer authorizations.  

Harley has been dong this for years (at least in my area) as none in my area will work on older Harley's due to lack of Tec expertise, lack of quick parts availability,  etc.

That explains why, at least.  BTW, I have been reading the boards and recognize you are the oilhead expert.  I am sure I will ask some newbie questions, so apologizing in advance. :)

NOLONGERRELEVANT
17 minutes ago, 041100S said:

Don't know if this business is still around but it is listed on the ibmwr.org website: Chuck House Motorsports, 524 S. Claiborne Ave., New Orleans, LA 70112-1312, 504-896-9099. Ibmwr.org gave a good review. Actually did a Google map search for this business and it came up with 355 Iris Ave, Suite D, 504-846-4800. SO, don't know which is correct. Good Luck and nice looking bike.

Chuck House shut down on Claiborne.  He used to work on my R100RT Last Edition '84.  Great bike.