IGNORED

Abs fail. What if I do this ??

joeb

Howdy, hope all are well and able to get a little riding in.

While waiting to see if I'm going to repair my 2003 r1150rt abs module, what would happen if I did this.......bypass the module with manual brake setup, leave module in place and hooked up to electrical. I dont really understand how the module / electrical affects my lights , I've, read that removing it does bad stuff to my lights. but if I left it in place would my taillight/ brakelights work ? I understand that the flashing warning lights would continue.  But at least i could ride it while i procrastinate about a permanent fix. Any ideas?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, joeb said:

Howdy, hope all are well and able to get a little riding in.

While waiting to see if I'm going to repair my 2003 r1150rt abs module, what would happen if I did this.......bypass the module with manual brake setup, leave module in place and hooked up to electrical. I dont really understand how the module / electrical affects my lights , I've, read that removing it does bad stuff to my lights. but if I left it in place would my taillight/ brakelights work ? I understand that the flashing warning lights would continue.  But at least i could ride it while i procrastinate about a permanent fix. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Evening Joeb

You can do that but if you are going to by-pass the ABS module servos  then you might as well just do a full removal. You can always remove the full by-pass if you reinstall the repaired ABS module.

You need to remove it for repair anyhow so if you remove & by-pass it now then you can keep riding when you ship it in for repair.    (repair can take a while).

My guess is that after you remove it  (the ABS system) that you will like the brakes so much that you probably won't ever send it in.

What I chose to do on my '03 was to remove the electronic control module from the end of the ABS unit (tri-wing screws if I remember right) and keep it plugged in to the connector so that my tail and brake lights would continue to work. It's a little bit tricky but not impossible to cover the exposed electronics. Then a couple of tie wraps to strap it into place and prevent it from rattling around. I've been riding with it that way for almost 2 years and 20000 miles in all kinds of weather.

Thanks, sounds like a plan. 

Probably start another link after I do some searching for advice on swapping over to manual. Lines ,connectors ,etc. Thanks all.just thought about this question,  if I do what you did and later decide to have module rebuilt  will the electrical connections that were removed be able to be reinstalled. Or does it get destroyed in the removal ??

Edited by joeb
Afterthought
11 hours ago, joeb said:

But.......  what about the electrical connections with the abs removed. Is there a good fix for that ?? 

Btw. Thanks for the reply

Morning Joeb

Only a few connections to the harness going to the ABS module so you can just Tee in a short pigtail to those few harness wires then cover the connector & leave it in place fully intact. If you use a connector on your added pigtail then you can simply  unplug that later if you ever decide to re-install the ASB module.  

Then if you remove the ABS warning light relay from your fuse box & use that for the brake light control relay (you can just plug that relay back into the fuse box if you ever re-install the ABS module). 

Then, when/if you ever want to reinstall your repaired ABS module just cut (or unplug) your added wire harness pigtail then simply plug your repaired ABS module back in, then re-plumb your brake lines back to stock. 

Again, my guess is that after riding with the ABS module removed you will like the braking feel so much better that you probably won't want to return to servo assisted brakes. But not every rider feels safe riding without an ABS system (rider preference). 

Bottom line: if the ABS removal is done correctly with care & good wiring connections there  is no destruction to the ABS wire harness so it can be re-installed then just plugged back in. 

If you are considering repairing your existing ABS module then  definitely do the conversion using a relay for brake light control so you can keep the ABS module fully intact to send it in for repair.    

10 hours ago, joeb said:

Thanks, sounds like a plan. 

Probably start another link after I do some searching for advice on swapping over to manual. Lines ,connectors ,etc. Thanks all.just thought about this question,  if I do what you did and later decide to have module rebuilt  will the electrical connections that were removed be able to be reinstalled. Or does it get destroyed in the removal ??

Nothing gets destroyed. There are some wires from the motors, valves, and sensors that plug onto the circuit board. Simply unplug those. Later when you reassemble the module you just plug them back on. Maybe mark them so that you be sure not to swap them when you reassemble.

dirtrider just pointed out a big disadvantage to doing it my way: if you decide to send the module off for repair you will need to put the electronics back onto it before you send it. Then, if you want to ride your bike while the module is gone you'll need to follow dirtrider's method of rewiring using the ABS relay.

Just something to consider. For me it was not a concern because I had no intention of sending the module out for repair.

14 minutes ago, dave_a said:

Anyone know how much the entire ABS assembly weighs? (ABS 1999 R1100R)

Morning Dave 

A little over 11 pounds (or thereabouts).

According to my (old)  BMW parts book the 1100R hydro unit (ABS module)  weighs 11.36 pounds (empty) with no fluid. 

I’m also thinking of by passing my ABS system so to put it simply,
1. Reconnect front caliper to the handlebar reservoir.

2. Reconnect rear reservoir to the foot brake piston

3. Disconnect the 2 small connections on top of the ABS unit

4. Remove the ABS relay

Is that it?

2 hours ago, Balibeemer said:

I’m also thinking of by passing my ABS system so to put it simply,
1. Reconnect front caliper to the handlebar reservoir.

2. Reconnect rear reservoir to the foot brake piston

3. Disconnect the 2 small connections on top of the ABS unit

4. Remove the ABS relay

Is that it?

Morning  Balibeemer

You need to start your own thread on disabling YOUR ABS system, adding your problem to this thread is hijacking this thread so if the motorcycles are not exactly the same then we end up with incorrect information in this thread.

When you start your own new thread please  include the year & model of your motorcycle.  

• Like 1