IGNORED

tranny question

TracerBullet

TracerBullet

I have 10,000 om my 1150.

just recently I have experienced hard shifting into 1st and 2nd only on a downshift. Today I experienced the same from 6th to 5th.

It is intermittent in nature.

Most times it still shifts buttery smooth.

Any ideas?

Should I worry

04' = in warranty, so let the dealer sort it out.

But, if you really want to look into it, I'd look for loose linkage first.

Paul Mihalka

It may or may not be a problem. As Ken says, check the linkage. If not, file the complaint with the dealer. Even if they don't do anything (likely) you have a record so if you run out of warranty and something fails, they still cover it.

...Should I worry

In a word, YES!

How hard downshifting, as in you feel like you almost need to stand on the pedal to get it to shift (then subsequent downshifts into the lower gears are normal)?

According to a friend of mine who has replaced more splines than I care to think about, this is THE classic telltale warning of impending spline failure. What you describe is EXACTLY what I experienced a few days before mine finally failed.

Check for a loose linkage. But if you don't see anything there, I personally would not ride this bike very far from home (farther than walking distance) until I had the clutch and tranny inspected by the dealer. At the very least, carry a cell phone with you and let someone know you may be calling for a ride home.

Good Luck

Derek

Add moly to the gearbox oil after the visit to the dealer if the complaint is not addressed by them. If the moly cures it (moly is very slippery), you have identified the problem. If there is no cure, you likely have a spline problem.

Good luck.

TracerBullet

you have got to be kidding. Spline trouble at less than 10,000 miles.

Yes sometimes it is hard to shift down to the next gear and then the rest are normal. Today on the way to work before I posted. I pulled the cltch in to downshift from 6 to 5 and it would not go, so I let the clutch out and pulled it in again and it went into 5th fine. The rest of the commute into the city (read shifting many times) was fine

According to a friend of mine who has replaced more splines than I care to think about, this is THE classic telltale warning of impending spline failure. What you describe is EXACTLY what I experienced a few days before mine finally failed.

Yeah, but on an '04 with 10K you may be being a bit of an alarmist.

Always look for the simple solutions first...

Yeah, but on an '04 with 10K you may be being a bit of an alarmist.

Always look for the simple solutions first...

Oh, I definitely agree, chances are good there is a simpler solution to the problem. However, I believe the potential consquences of a spline failure - stranded many miles from home or a sudden, complete loss of power at 80mph while attempting to pass a big-rig on a busy highway - justify a healthy dose of alarmism!

DR

Archived