IGNORED

Research suggests cycle-lanes increase congestion and pollution

MotoNews

From the "How come most people except politicians know this?" department.

The money being spent here locally, and the loss of driving lanes for cars is out of control. The street maintenance department had to buy new trucks to plow snow because the regular trucks couldn't plow the lanes. That expense was never figured into the cost.

At least the new train ridden by nobody sucked even more money and disrupts traffic  worse than bike lanes, so they seem like a good deal.

If it were 1 in 400 in my town (Austin, Texas) our bike lanes would be LOADED with bicycles.  We have bike lanes everywhere and I rarely see any bicycles in them.

Frank

25 minutes ago, duckbubbles said:

If it were 1 in 400 in my town (Austin, Texas) our bike lanes would be LOADED with bicycles.  We have bike lanes everywhere and I rarely see any bicycles in them.

Frank

Same here.

Busses too...they just spent 3 years and millions of dollars adding bus lanes in the busiest part of Houston around the galleria. We lost lanes and traffic is a lot worse even during the pandemic....and honestly I swear I look at the busses every time I see them.  There might be 0-10 people on the bus.  Some of the busses are those tandem busses and most of the time there is no one on the back car and maybe 5 folks up front.

I can appreciate the idea of getting out of cars, on public transportation, and even bikes...but in SE Texas that is just a waste of money.  It won't happen here  Maybe Austin, but not here.

When I lived in Ca I took BART and CalTrans train almost every day to work.  It was pretty full most of the time.