IGNORED

Attachment to lower seat -

RTMaggie

I bought an attachment that is supposed to lower your seat just a bit..  I bought it from ebay and it listed the 2005 RT as a bike it would fit.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach it?  Here is what I bought.

Has anyone installed this and can explain how to fit this thing?

Thank you for any help here.  RTMaggie

IMG_8193.jpg

It looks to me like the 1100/1150 series bracket..... I could be wrong as I don't have one anymore. It doesn't look useable on a 05-13 RT though.

1 hour ago, RTMaggie said:

I bought an attachment that is supposed to lower your seat just a bit..  I bought it from ebay and it listed the 2005 RT as a bike it would fit.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach it?  Here is what I bought.

Has anyone installed this and can explain how to fit this thing?

Thank you for any help here.  RTMaggie

Evening RTMaggie

Looks more like the bracket used on the later water cooled 1200RT's. Or maybe even more like a later water cooled GS seat bracket.

seat bracket watercooled.JPG

The add said it would fit a 2005 RT along with about 85 other models.  I guess I should have been just a bit more skeptical given they said it would fit sooooo many bikes.  We all know that they change fittings over the years and there are very few attachments that would fit so many models and so many years.  At least it was only about 25. bucks, so not much wasted.  I wish they would adjust the add so more people like me don't waste their time and money on a part that does not fit!  

Thank you for commenting on my problem!

7 hours ago, RTMaggie said:

The add said it would fit a 2005 RT along with about 85 other models.  I guess I should have been just a bit more skeptical given they said it would fit sooooo many bikes.  We all know that they change fittings over the years and there are very few attachments that would fit so many models and so many years.  At least it was only about 25. bucks, so not much wasted.  I wish they would adjust the add so more people like me don't waste their time and money on a part that does not fit!  

Thank you for commenting on my problem!

Morning  RTMaggie

If you bought it from E-Bay then first re-contact the seller & explain to them that their part doesn't fit as ADVERTISED. As a rule if they are a big seller they will offer you a refund & furnish you a shipping number to return it (or just tell you to keep it).

If they don't offer you a refund or exchange on their dime then just contact E-Bay, I deal with E-Bay a fair amount & so far E-Bay has always offered me me refund through E-Bay,  then E-Bay works it out with the seller after an investigation. 

When you call E-Bay be sure to explain to them that the part is advertised incorrectly & will NOT fit your 2005 BMW 1200RT.

On that note (getting eBay/seller to refund you), I would take a photo of the part "in place" on the bike and attach it to the correspondence with them to show that it doesn't fit. It helped getting a fast resolution the few occasion I had issues on eBay.

I sent the bracket back to the supplier.  It does not fit.  I don't see how the rubber mounts would help to lower the seat?  Don't I need that bracket too?  If it does not fit, it seems to me that on a 2005 RT I am outa luck!  Thanks though for offering this as a fix.........

RTMaggie

• 2 weeks later...

RTMaggie, which seat do you have now ?

the normal setup is 2 position of a tubular cross bar at the back of the tank. That fits into the sockets on the front of the seat. That bar sets the seat in the high or low position.

The rubber caps on the ends of that bar can be changed over to the offset caps. That will lower the FRONT EDGE only of the seat, but not the back half.

If your bike is the low model, it would have come with a one piece seat and will not have the bar or posts for a high and low position. There are low versions of the front seat half. These show up frequently on eBay.

Beemer chuck,

Thank you for your reply, but that part is long gone back to the ebayer.  I do not own a "low" bike and I am actually border line on needing a low seat.  I have a 31 inch inseam, and am 5'7" .  My first RT several years ago I never did get a low seat.  I am thinking that walking the bike and in parking lots and our driveway that it would be much easier to walk the bike if I had a low seat.  It is not a "have to have" item for my bike.  If I see a used one out there I still may try to buy one.  Thanks again for your advice!

Merry Christmas to all!

RTMaggie