IGNORED

A classic "O shi_t!" moment

John Ranalletta

Joe Frickin' Friday
6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

This captain will likely be looking for a job on shore shortly.

Sounds like they hit some unexpectedly severe weather.  Is there some indication the captain screwed up?  

1988, USS John F. Kennedy,....nasty storm off of Florida and we're floating around in it.  Anyway, the NCO berthing was forward port side 4th deck, which is just below the waterline.  Anyway, this particular evening,....I distinctly heard a ruckus hit the side of the ship.  Now, it has to be a large ruckus to make the noise it made and I know this because immediately after the ruckus, the 1MC calls some Navy responders.  Alas, the responders couldn't do anything because it was too late, the F14 was sinking in the drink.  $50m to the bottom.

Anyway, here's a nifty thing showing just how dangerous the flight deck of a carrier is.   This is from the USS Independence.  

And here's why Navy and Marine aviators are sooo much better than "others"

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
11 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Sounds like they hit some unexpectedly severe weather.  Is there some indication the captain screwed up?  

Just suggesting the containers weren't loaded/secured adequately & supposed the captain is always the person lastly responsible.

3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Just suggesting the containers weren't loaded/secured adequately & supposed the captain is always the person lastly responsible.

I didn’t see any indication of that in the linked article - just a mention of possibly much more severe weather and wave conditions, and that a full investigation was pending. 

John Ranalletta

Nor did I, just saying the captain in situations like this will likely be found at fault, regardless the weather conditions.  The captain is ultimately responsible for the ship and its contents.  May be not "fair" but that's the way it is.  Doesn't matter if a longshoreman missed a connection or a storm is unusually strong.  Just my opinion.

John Ranalletta

"Ownership of the goods lost has not been revealed and thus it’s not known whether some New Year’s Eve celebrations will be dimmer with 54 U.S.-bound containers of fireworks lost at sea."  

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/fireworks-batteries-and-liquid-ethanol-among-dangerous-goods-lost-sea-apus-containership

Wonder if this flotsam is still bobbing around and salvagers going after it?  The containers with batteries (lithium?) and office machines are likely at the bottom.