IGNORED

Beaches vs Mountains...Riding and Living

Whip

Riding is one of the most important parts of my life

I have been living in the mountains for several years now and I love it. The high altitude fresh clean dry air gives me energy and feels like a shot of vitamin B every morning. 

.....on the other hand I visit the Keys pretty regular now.  I love the ocean breeze and the sound of wind through palm trees with the back drop of water lapping against the dock and waves hitting the sand.

Ice and cold vs Hurricanes and Heat

What say my cyber family?

I really can’t have both at the same time.

Edited by Whip

For me, the topography of the mountains seems much more interesting to view then a constant flat uninteresting view of the ocean and horizon.  There is also more variety when riding or hiking.  Granted,the sound of the waves is enchanting, the breeze is nice and most times the beach scenery is nice to observe. Given the choice, I would always take the mountains.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Patallaire said:

For me, the topography of the mountains seems much more interesting to view then a constant flat uninteresting view of the ocean and horizon.  There is also more variety when riding or hiking.  Granted,the sound of the waves is enchanting, the breeze is nice and most times the beach scenery is nice to observe. Given the choice, I would always take the mountains.  

Even though you can’t ride for 5 months?

I can cross country ski, snowshoe, some ride snowmobiles, etc. You must embrace the change, it is like a renewal every season.  Snow makes the mountains even more beautiful.  They are constantly changing, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall.  The ocean flat horizon never changes except for sunrises and sunsets. 

• Like 4
RecentConvert

Mankind is drawn to the sea, just look where the population is.  But I am a subset of mankind, while I enjoy the shore for a day or two, I just am not a sit on the beach guy.

The mountains make me feel good, the variety, the color, the roads, the forests, the high plains.  It it where I feel the most free.

But I have always known that "home" should be at least two places.  I don't like winter, and like it less each year.  So we are off to AZ on Tuesday. If we could manage it, a home in the mountains for the summer and a second home in warmer mountains in the winter.

That said, we live in Iowa! no sea, no shoreline, no mountains and the closest twisty road is over 100 miles away.

• Like 1

I’d add something but Pat said exactly my thoughts. Ok, he probably stated my thoughts better. :classic_biggrin: But...if you’re sick of the cold, you’re sick of the cold. It happens. :5146:

• Like 1

I'm good, we live midway between the eastern mountains and the sand.  Moderate winters, meh, summers.   Stay away, my county is full!!!

A beach with no sand would be ideal,.......Positano, IT has that, it's one I can deal with.......I don't much like sand.

I do recall a "house hunters" episode where one member of the couple was looking out at the ocean and said "Look at that great scenery",.....the other member of the couple said "what scenery, it's just water" 

8 minutes ago, Patallaire said:

Wear better clothes! :3:

Yep, I can always layer up to keep warm,......but ya'll don't want me taking everything off to stay cool.

John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I'm good, we live midway between the eastern mountains and the sand.  Moderate winters, meh, summers.   Stay away, my county is full!!!

A beach with no sand would be ideal,.......Positano, IT has that, it's one I can deal with.......I don't much like sand.

I do recall a "house hunters" episode where one member of the couple was looking out at the ocean and said "Look at that great scenery",.....the other member of the couple said "what scenery, it's just water" 

I'm with you.  On a business trip to Maui, my wife suggested we spend a day on the beach.  We laid out all the beach-gear and after 15 minutes or so, I asked, "What's next?" and we left to explore the island.

Whale watching, diving, fishing - all fun.  Someone asked Jay Leno if, as a southern Californian, he enjoyed the beach.  He said he visited once, saw the waves come in, go out, come in, go out... and thought "Is this all there is?" and never returned.

Here you go, today in Naples, FL.  Exciting, no?

image.thumb.png.50f83ccd368f99d67b900d509422b687.png

I like NOT living in the middle of the greatest riding areas!

I have everything I need in Houston. Stuff I don't need too. But love having the ability to find what I need locally, to go to restaurants, enjoy many entertainment venues, and of course the hospital/health care here is second to none. 

I know about the Keys. Great to visit. Not a motorcycle hot spot for sure. But there are other things second to none there. Till they get old. Which is the same thing that would happen if I lived in certain mountainous areas. Especially cold ones. I love snow and cold temps. Till I am tired of them. 

So, it is STILL a big deal when I can get on the RT and ride to New York like last year. Or Death Valley. Or the Carolinas!  Local riding isn't something you will read about in "Worlds greatest motorcycling", but I can get to the Hill Country in about 3-4 hours. Close enough. 

Would I like a beach house? Cabin in the mountains beside a stream? Sure...until I think about how much work it is to keep up what I have here. That is what they make RV's for! Best of both worlds!

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Mexico would seem to offer optimal "shore to mountain" advantages and warm year-round weather.  Unfortunately, it's become more and more problematic to experience it.

John Ranalletta
14 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I have everything I need in Houston. Stuff I don't need too. But love having the ability to find what I need locally, to go to restaurants, enjoy many entertainment venues, and of course the hospital/health care here is second to none. 

I know about the Keys. Great to visit. Not a motorcycle hot spot for sure. But there are other things second to none there. Till they get old. Which is the same thing that would happen if I lived in certain mountainous areas. Especially cold ones. I love snow and cold temps. Till I am tired of them. 

So, it is STILL a big deal when I can get on the RT and ride to New York like last year. Or Death Valley. Or the Carolinas!  Local riding isn't something you will read about in "Worlds greatest motorcycling", but I can get to the Hill Country in about 3-4 hours. Close enough. 

Would I like a beach house? Cabin in the mountains beside a stream? Sure...until I think about how much work it is to keep up what I have here. That is what they make RV's for! Best of both worlds!

...and every few years, you get to stack sand bags and man the pumps...

18 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I like NOT living in a metro area

I have everything I need in Walnut Cove and what would likely take you the time to drive across your city, I can drive to a city and get the same thing.  I tease people in my company that work in the DC area about their 1+ hour commute and being only 10 miles of stop and go and my 1 hour commute being 50 miles of straight riding, minimal to no traffic. 

healthcare,....don't get sick;)  Our local hospital has a dog in the ER.

So true.  One of my co-workers has a house in Maine, goes there every year for three weeks, two of which, he's doing maintenance and upkeep.  I'll never understand the multiple house ownership,......kinda like you're obligated to go to your "beach house" or "mountain lake cabin" for vacation, thus limiting your vacation options.

3 minutes ago, Groanup said:

That's why we have California... :wave:

I ride year round in NC,......Cali isn't the only place you can do that;)

14 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I'll never understand the multiple house ownership,.

I am with you.  Especially when you try to work the math out for owning and commuting to another house somewhere far away.  Do you allocate the annual costs, {Taxes, Insurance, gas, electric, travel, maintenance and upkeep etc.}  into that 3 week time frame, then what does it cost per week?  It seems to me that there is no math that supports that expense.  I am of the opinion that you rent a place every year wherever in the world you want to go and at the end of the time, you happily close the door and give the owner back the key. 

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
22 minutes ago, Patallaire said:

I am with you.  Especially when you try to work the math out for owning and commuting to another house somewhere far away.  Do you allocate the annual costs, {Taxes, Insurance, gas, electric, travel, maintenance and upkeep etc.}  into that 3 week time frame, then what does it cost per week?  It seems to me that there is no math that supports that expense.  I am of the opinion that you rent a place every year wherever in the world you want to go and at the end of the time, you happily close the door and give the owner back the key. 

It's like owning a big boat or airplane.  If you gotta rationalize it, don't do it.  Our neighbors in the adjoining condo are presently in their Villages condo 'til April.  Works for them.  When we spent January months in Naples, I couldn't comprehend how much value lay unused in the condos and houses (some in the +$700k range) that sat empty most of the year.  Turns out many were/are owned by NY, Canadian and IL residents moving money out of high tax states and the vacation home aspect was a minor consideration.

BTW, our neighbor's son is a custom home builder in Naples.  Just bought a $1.25mil house on the market for 28 minutes.  Will raze it to build/sell a $6.5mil house in its place.  Anyone else smell a bubble?

We had a log cabin on 4ac in no. GA from '05 to '08.  Used it one week every quarter or so.  Spent first couple days beating back the forest and cleaning.  Spend last day prepping to leave.  Spend remaining days riding.  Spent the time away worrying about break ins or someone cooking meth while it lie empty - that happened in a cabin across the road.  Love/hate relationship.

image.png.d613af15b6f537b7dd4dc9bf740d0709.png

Might I offer yet another compromise?  Somewhere semi-rural in the Blue Ridge/Appalachians of TN, NC or VA.  Some of the best riding in the country here, although not the elevation and stunning views of the Rockies, but still beautiful scenery.  And, you can ride pretty much year round other than for a few weeks when the snow and ice sets in.  Plus, you are only a half-day drive to the beaches of SC, or an easy one day drive to Jax or the FL Gulf coast.  Another day haul and you're in the Keys.  Never have to get on a plane.  Good cost of living.  Sunday football in the afternoons instead of the morning.  BBQ.  Good restaurants.  Pretty Carolina girls.  But, the secret is out, and there are a lot of folks moving to this area (Charlotte) from the northeast.  Come and stay for a few days and explore the options!

• Like 1

I lived in CA most of my life (with about 10 years spent in WA and ID).  In CA, the beach was never more than 35 minutes away, sometimes a third of that, and for a while, a minute or two away (Newport Beach, CA).  The closer I lived to the beach, the less I went because the cooler weather and breezes reached me without having to battle the throngs of “Inlanders.”  And even when I myself became an Inlander, I can count on two hands the times I went to the beach simply to lie on the sand or to swim.  A pool, and having my own shade and my own refrigerator steps away pretty much kept me home. 

Where I DID go though, was to the mountains.

Personally, I fell in love with the mountains when I was about 14 and Dad took us all the way to the Rockies for a motorcycle competition (we rode Trials back then, our first form of m/c competition - - - I raced MX and Enduros starting a few years later and into my 50’s).  The variety of nature, and as I later came to understand of God’s creative gifts, pinned itself to my heart and never let go.  In CA, we’d go riding off-road in the mountains, not the desert (but I did that, too, though mostly Baja).  During 6 years in WA, I rode to Mt. Raineer, Mt. Hood and even the remains of  Mt. St. Helens up to a dozen times a year.  I went to the beach once, in 6 years.  In ID, I lived in Sun Valley and skied my butt off in the winter, yet rode dirt bikes in the Sawtooth Mountains as well for about 8 months a year.

Mountain on-road and off-road riding is unquestionably the best.  The topography, the elevation changes, the tree-laden and almost eruptive landscape all filled me with awe and wonder.  I decided to retire to Western Colorado.  It is still a tourist destination.  However, during the day they fill the seven ski resorts within an hour’s drive of my home and don’t clog my town (pop 25K), except at 6AM when they leave and 5PM when they return to eat, drink and bed down.  Same during hunting season as well as fly-fishing and kayaking season.  My days are free and clear, yet tourism still leaves plenty of its money here to keep our economy strong.

Back in early Oct, I spent 8 days in Ft. Lauderdale.  We were three floors up, right on top of Hwy A1A, and across the street from the beach/ocean.  A postcard view from the wraparound balcony as well as every window.  Warm (sometimes pretty hot), and often breezy.  A very nice getaway, among thousands and thousands of other escapees.  But as a way of life, not for me.  Perhaps with more time and not in the “tourist zone” I might feel different, though I was told that May thru Sept is almost intolerably hot and humid.  Eventually, my mountains called me home.  And every day I wake up and can go somewhere else, somewhere new, see something new, and live a different life.  My riding season is about 8-9 months  long (I’m going riding next Tue and Wed when it’ll be in the 50’s), and I work on the bikes in a heated garage during the winter.  I’m even thinking of adding an ATV/SxS and extending the riding season to all year.  Where I live I can drive it on the streets to get to the dirt trail jumping off points.

As people we are all different and pretty much identify with the sum of our experiences.  For me, it’s been the mountains.  For others, the beach.  And yet others, the desert.  I can always visit those other places, but I live, truly LIVE, when I'm in the mountains.  Personally, I’ve never felt so free and so unencumbered, with an immense richness of choices every single day.  Today.  Here.  I own the last pieces of my life that anyone else once had a claim to.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

It's like owning a big boat or airplane.  If you gotta rationalize it, don't do it. 

You left out RV. At least the ones that are capable of being a home on wheels. Yes, there is a LOT of upkeep on them. Just installed a new hydraulic cylinder for one of the slide outs yesterday. Just like a beach house, always something to fix or upgrade. BUT...I can load the RT or V Strom on the back lift and then flat tow the Jeep behind to anywhere I want to drive. While I didn't save any money over what many second houses cost, I gained the ability to go where the itch to travel takes me. As mentioned before, if you have a beach house you feel obligated to go there in your spare time. 

The motorhome fixes that problem. There are RV parks all over the country ( you have to watch out for the ones that have simply become "trailer parks" instead of rv parks ) to stay at. Use them as a base and go visit or ride from there. Have I mentioned how much I like to have my RV when visiting relatives? Yep, leave them and go back "home" for the day!!!!

We still take trips to the beach or elsewhere by car or plane. My measure of how much I like them is how many days until I want to head back home......

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, realshelby said:

You left out RV. At least the ones that are capable of being a home on wheels. Yes, there is a LOT of upkeep on them. Just installed a new hydraulic cylinder for one of the slide outs yesterday. Just like a beach house, always something to fix or upgrade. BUT...I can load the RT or V Strom on the back lift and then flat tow the Jeep behind to anywhere I want to drive. While I didn't save any money over what many second houses cost, I gained the ability to go where the itch to travel takes me. As mentioned before, if you have a beach house you feel obligated to go there in your spare time. 

The motorhome fixes that problem. There are RV parks all over the country ( you have to watch out for the ones that have simply become "trailer parks" instead of rv parks ) to stay at. Use them as a base and go visit or ride from there. Have I mentioned how much I like to have my RV when visiting relatives? Yep, leave them and go back "home" for the day!!!!

We still take trips to the beach or elsewhere by car or plane. My measure of how much I like them is how many days until I want to head back home......

"As mentioned before, if you have a beach house you feel obligated to go there in your spare time."

We experienced that as well.  Honoring sunk cost?

I follow Adam Booth's machining channel.  He's split off an adventure channel about his RV exploits.  His videos led Dutchman to take him on as an ambassador.

I watch him too! He sure likes to eat! I haven't figured out how he makes any money. He makes a good bit off YouTube, but he doesn't seem to do much actual machine work except special projects for himself or family!

I'm fine in N. Fla. 30 minutes from here..

047.JPG

and 7 hours from here on back roads (6 on the interstate).

004.JPG

For almost 10 years this was a 2nd home in Colorado, 2-3 weeks at a time and 2 or 3 times a season. Nothing fancy but a comfy camper, guest house/satellite RV, and car, left them in storage when not there.  

IMG_1227.JPG 

Oh, and bikes..

069.JPG  

When it was time to leave, we fired up the old Cheby's and drove home : )

008.JPG

Still love Colorado and hope to be back but for now WNC is a great destination and frankly getting there is almost half the fun. 

7F04932D-C624-412E-8D8A-5D2C7D3F058D.thumb.jpeg.8be91dd564aee02f5abc0f40b94f66e0.jpeg

E1FD4237-50DB-4F6E-8E43-DE0ACD02C243.thumb.jpeg.684226ff59faf370103016ec2d6d5c04.jpeg

• Like 3

I grew up in a flat place on the East Coast (Delaware). The highest point in my home town is about 12 feet above sea level. At 60 feet, Delaware has the lowest mean elevation of all the states. 

At 18 I went to Italy, and experienced real mountains for the first time during a 3-week ride around the country on a 50cc Mondial. I have preferred mountains ever since. Every time I go back to visit family in Delaware, I start itching to get back to the mountains. 

Different strokes for different folks.

1 hour ago, Selden said:

I grew up in a flat place on the East Coast (Delaware). The highest point in my home town is about 12 feet above sea level. At 60 feet, Delaware has the lowest mean elevation of all the states. 

At 18 I went to Italy, and experienced real mountains for the first time during a 3-week ride around the country on a 50cc Mondial. I have preferred mountains ever since. Every time I go back to visit family in Delaware, I start itching to get back to the mountains. 

Different strokes for different folks.

When we drive home to Louisiana, we kinda both look at each other and say "damn, it's so flat here".

6 hours ago, Selden said:

I grew up in a flat place on the East Coast (Delaware)

I lived in Milford for awhile.  Flatland, a lot of corn and chickens. 

I’m just south of Milford in MD (Salisbury) for the last 40ish years. Approaching retirement, I’m fantasizing about trips to mountainous regions weekly. Soooo flat on  Delmarva.

I have been fortunate as to have lived on both the east and west coast with time in between. Grew up in the hills/mountains of P.A. and will always have that in my blood. Right now I live on the outerbanks and am at a happy place. Love to boat and fish, so got that covered . In fact I'm gonna go get some of those good salty

Oysters out at the Cape today. I also still love to ride and can be at the BRP @ 5 hours , so to me it's the east coast version of the west coast with  both being at my finger tips. Don't want a second home , but am considering buying a small camp , something very low maintenance, on the parkway.

Dennis Andress

Visiting the ocean is a great way to change my perspective of life. I feel more alive living near mountains.

• Like 1

I like living near water, but it doesn't need to be the ocean, I find terrain differences to be more interesting. California seems to have the most to offer, mountains and hill country not far from the ocean.

The southeast also has its appeal, with mountains, hills, water.

No ice cold winter would be nice.

Mountains.  For sure.  

we are not beach people.   I have lived within spitting distance of both the east and west coasts at one time or another.  We rarely go to the beach.  

Well I just got back from spending 5 days at the beach house in port aransas.  I've lived and worked in many parts of the world.  I've lived in mountains and coastal.  If I had to pick just one...I would pick coastal.  Coastal gives me year round riding and 9 months of warm water I can get into.  When we lived in CA the water was too cold to get in unless dawning a heaving wet suit or dry suit; but I must admit the glory and scenery of the Sierra's is incredible if only useable by bike for 8-9 months of the year notwithstanding the crowds.

We just finished 4 days of fishing...wade fishing....and I now have a freezer full of trout, redfish, and flounder. Temperature wise it got down to 50.  Not bad for December.  I also have a freezer of gulf shrimp but had to buy the shrimp.

It's the Call of the Mountains:

"The mountains are calling and I must go."  John Muir "abbreviated quote"

I live close enough to the Smokies to go three times a year except during worldwide pandemics.... so I only went twice this year. I like visiting but not to live. I've got sand in my shoes.

Living on the ocean's edge all of my life I have to laugh at the remarks "it never changes". The ocean also calls ....... I owned 10 sailboats in 40 years and found adventure galore in cruising, racing, and day sailing. To sailing friends I often compared it to touring on a motorcycle. Everything has to fit, all one needs and nothing more, a place for everything and everything in it's place. A sailboat is betwixt and between the worlds of wind and water, needing both but utterly at their mercy. And the racing! It's a game of inches made and inches lost, grinding out a tacking duel yard after yard, then seeing a lift coming in a furious cat's paw that just might allow you to make the next course mark and suddenly have a 100 yard advantage over your rival, straining upwind feeling every vibration of the sails & rigging down to the vortices spiraling off the trailing edge of the rudders like they are wired to your brain. Crazy wild thang reaches and blowing downwind on cats that sail fast enough off-wind to bring the apparent wind around in front but don't stuff a bow in the back of a wave, flip the boat and throw everyone off into the water!

It's only our knowledge and attitude that separates ordeal from adventure and the same adage "there is no bad weather just poor clothing choices" applies. Cruising or racing offshore one has to be confident and self-assured in their ability and the craft's ability to deal with what may happen with equipment and weather and be able to change plans on whim of wind or water. Perhaps it's even even more so on a small boat in open waters where safety can be many hours away. You don't just roll to a stop on the side of the road when things go wrong.

• Thanks 1

Mountains for sure, having lived in the Puget Sound for many years and having the Cascades and Olympic ranges as your compass was always comforting in some ways. Riding on the BRP, the Rockies, along the Beartooth, Icefields, Top of the World, etc; sorry, no comparison. 

Dennis Andress
On 12/9/2020 at 2:46 PM, dduelin said:

It's only our knowledge and attitude that separates ordeal from adventure 

Thank you sir! 

My wife is a beach person, I love the mountains. Kinda depends upon where you were raised I think.  Where we live it is two hours to either: West 2 hours mountains, East 2 hours Beach.  They both have a place in our hearts. Both have their benefits and both have their not so nice features. As for cold vs hot, I grew up in the cold and really don't care for it.  That is not to say temps above 95 are nice either. I just stay focused on what I like and look forward to the occasional trip to the other for balance.  I might be weird in this regard, but there you have it. :5223:

• Like 2
On 12/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, RandyShields said:

So Whip, lot's of interesting and compelling points of view here.  What are you thinking????

i have been living in the mountains for a few years now and love visiting the Keys.

I don’t know

I had to decline a showing on a beautiful piece of property in North Carolina. I’m stuck in the NE for a couple more years. It has views you’ve become accustomed to and it’s only one long days drive to Key West. Awesome roads and mild winters. Two yearly events that an internet based group of riders called BMWST....oh yeah, forgot!! :dopeslap: :grin:

Richard’s Realty 

• Like 1

BOTH

dilbert.gif.62c45ecf7c4b98d83ce229829631f72a.gif

Living in Flatganastazn, isn't exactly the Mecca of riding. :4607:

But having twin grand daughters 5 minutes away, and another set of grand children 2 hours away makes up for it a lot.

Aren't we privileged to be able to choose where we live AND have the resources to travel to places that are not home?

Covid sucks, this too shall pass.:18: 

IMG_20190924_134553.jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

• Like 4
On 12/12/2020 at 6:53 PM, TEWKS said:

I had to decline a showing on a beautiful piece of property in North Carolina. I’m stuck in the NE for a couple more years. It has views you’ve become accustomed to and it’s only one long days drive to Key West. Awesome roads and mild winters. Two yearly events that an internet based group of riders called BMWST....oh yeah, forgot!! :dopeslap: :grin:

Richard’s Realty 

Dang!  1850 sq ft for $529K?  That's darn near CA real estate pricing!  But location, location, location.  You wouldn't get much of a view or much separation from neighbors for that price in CA.  But you might get short drives/rides to the beach and mountains.