1150R oil pressure question

Rockosmith

A friend has a 2004 R1150R with 185,000 miles.  Last ride the oil pressure light started flickering.  I realize there are several reasons this could happen.  I have no shop manual and am hoping someone on here does and would share what acceptable oil pressure is with a thoroughly warmed engine at idle and at 3000-4000 rpm.  I hope it is just a bum oil pressure switch, a gauge should confirm or rule it out.  Thanks in advance!

15 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

A friend has a 2004 R1150R with 185,000 miles.  Last ride the oil pressure light started flickering.  I realize there are several reasons this could happen.  I have no shop manual and am hoping someone on here does and would share what acceptable oil pressure is with a thoroughly warmed engine at idle and at 3000-4000 rpm.  I hope it is just a bum oil pressure switch, a gauge should confirm or rule it out.  Thanks in advance!

Evening Rockosmith

The Oil pressure light comes on at about 4.35 pounds pressure (pretty low).

Higher RPM operating pressure spec  is from 50 to 87 pounds but that is just the specs as oil viscosity, oil temperature, engine wear all effect the actual operating pressure. 

On an old worn engine a good rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 RPMs, so 4,000 RPMs should be at least 40 psi.

Those BMW oil pressure switches tend to fail so his problem might just be a bad oil pressure switch. I have also witnessed the wire coming loose off of the oil pressure switch then floating around & grounding out then putting the light on, or flickering.