IGNORED

A way of fitting a Givi tanklock ring to an R1200ST

Old Fettler

I don't know if there are enough 1200ST owners out there to benefit from this but here goes anyway !

I wanted to fit the excellent Givi tanklock mount to my newly acquired 2007 R1200ST, but Givi don't include it in their list. The problem is that there is a high lip on the plastic tank cover just in front of the filler cap which prevents the tanklock ring from sitting flush on the filler cap. It seemed to me that all that was required was a spacer to raise the height of the ring slightly. So a rummage through my store of metal found a piece of 1/8" aluminium which I thought would be just about enough to lift the ring away from the tank.

I bought a nearly new Givi BF11 kit from eBay for £12.50, and used the plastic part as a pattern to cut out the aluminium into a suitable spacer ring (it is flat at the front as the offcut of aluminium wasn't quite big enough !!). I ordered some 35mm long stainless screws for the four needed to fit the new ring, and also machined up some 5mm stainless rod, to mimic the heads of the original tank screws as spacers to go in the holes in the filler cap to ensure that it was properly fastened down.

I am delighted to say that it all worked a treat and hopefully there will be some pictures attached which show the components and the installed tank ring (as a newbie to the Forum I haven't loaded up any pictures before !)

IMG_20201129_111717_copy_864x1440.jpg

IMG_20201129_113223_copy_864x1440.jpg

• Like 1

I did basically the same for my 2013 RT to raise the tank lock mount above the tank rails. I ordered some aluminum spacers along with the longer stainless steel screws.

TankLoc.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well, I must admit it would have been nice if Old Fettler would have followed up with how the GIVI Tanklock system worked on his R1200ST... because after doing what he did it sure didn't on mine.  So - for those of you rare birds who are riding an ST and want to mount a Tanklock system tankbag on their scoot here is my advice.

I'm sure Old Fettler's ST and mine are the same - so here is what happens if you follow his route.  One thing is while the mounting ring clears, once the tankbag is clicked into place it will rub against your tank - why?  Well, bc when mounted it does a muffin top sort of thing - in other words, once clicked into place it overlaps like love handles do on tight pants.  So that's not good.  

Another major issue is that when you try to lift open the gas cap the rear portion of the cap will hit the mounting ring bc the clearance is too tight.  I actually made a 1/4" spacer all the way around and found that I couldn't open the gas cap all the way - it would only open less than 1/2 of the way and make it difficult to put a gas nozzle in the tank to fill her up.

SO... thankfully my spacer was more like 1/4 inch and not 1/8th like his bc what I ended up doing is cutting in half basically (the GIVI mount ring uses four of the six screws and leaves two OEM screws in the bike closest to the rider) which left me with a horseshoe looking spacer.  Then I shaved it down - I left the 1/4 inch high part in the very front closest to the instrument cluster, and then evenly shaved it down to where the last two mount screw holes were only like 1/16th of an inch thick - so if laying on a table it would look like a ramp. 

This made for a slight angle, allowing for space on the front (and believe me I could have used a 1/16th inch more on the front of my horseshoe shaped spacer) while letting the GIVI mount plate resting on the OEM gas ring itself - therefore the gas cap can open fully and the front of the tankbag when clicked into place doesn't hit the bike's fairing/plastic... trust me, I used to be an industrial designer and I would not have made this mistake if I had the GIVI Tankbag in my possession at the time I was fabricating the spacer/following Old Fettler's post - but it was being shipped and a week away and it's raining cats and dogs here so I went ahead and started on the fab work... oh and the GIVI XS307 15LT tankbag fits very well - in looks and fit and style and size etc... oh, and I used M5 x 45mm .08 screws that I ordered from ebay (10 black button top for 5 bucks) as my local small town Lowes and Home Depot stop at 35mm - I think the stock screws are 30mm in length.

Old Fettler

I'm sorry that Bash had a problem fabricating a tank ring for his ST Givi Tank bag holder. I don't know what size of fuel nozzle he is trying to get into his tank but there is more than enough clearance on my bike. I did indeed ride the bike with my tank bag in place, admittedly it's only a small Givi bag so I'm sorry that Bash suffers from "Muffin Top Syndrome". I was only offering what I thought was a helpful tip, but in view of Bash's comments, I will keep any future ideas to myself !

IMG_20210523_120341~2_copy_1440x864.jpg

IMG_20210523_120323~2_copy_1440x864.jpg

IMG_20210523_120224~2_copy_1440x864.jpg

szurszewski
On 5/18/2021 at 5:00 PM, Bash said:

I'm sure Old Fettler's ST and mine are the same - so here is what happens if you follow his route. 

Apparently not - or at least you're using different bags or didn't actually start with the same spacer. 

I was about to type something here asking if, three years after joining the forum, you really chose to make your first post a critique of another member's DIY solution to this problem, but I then I realized you also picked "Bash" for your usernmame...so maybe that's on purpose? :S ;)

2 hours ago, Old Fettler said:

I was only offering what I thought was a helpful tip, but in view of Bash's comments, I will keep any future ideas to myself !

Please don't do that. One of the best things about this site is the content and help we all supply to both current and future members and browsers, so I hope you continue to post things here that you think are useful. Without pictures it's hard to see where @Bash ran into trouble where you didn't, and I hope he/she will continue posting as well...maybe in a less critical/more positive way.

Happy spring riding!

josh

• Like 1