IGNORED

G650GS won't start

BamaJohn

I'm trying to help a neighbor get his Dad's 2014 G650GS with 15,000 miles brought back to life.  It has sat for about 2 years, so after cleaning off the grime, we got a new battery installed today, but trying to crank it didn't happen.  It turns over alright, just not running.  We put new fuel in the tank, but no help.   Display goes thru the normal startup sequence; the kill button is in the "run" position (out).  I looked at how deep the spark plug/stick coil are buried, so did nothing with that.

Any thoughts about where to turn next would be appreciated.   

Most likely the fuel pump John. When sitting dormant a long time the impeller freezes up from ethanol in the gas. Not familiar with that model but on 1150’s and 1200’s you can hear it run a couple seconds when you turn the key on. Google fuel pump check for that model, might help. If that’s it sometimes you can revive them but usually not.

11 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

I'm trying to help a neighbor get his Dad's 2014 G650GS with 15,000 miles brought back to life.  It has sat for about 2 years, so after cleaning off the grime, we got a new battery installed today, but trying to crank it didn't happen.  It turns over alright, just not running.  We put new fuel in the tank, but no help.   Display goes thru the normal startup sequence; the kill button is in the "run" position (out).  I looked at how deep the spark plug/stick coil are buried, so did nothing with that.

Any thoughts about where to turn next would be appreciated.   

Morning  BamaJohn

As  roadscholar mentioned the fuel pump would be way up the list as something to look into. The BMW 650 doesn't use an anodized fuel pump so they tend to oxidize easily when sitting with old fuel in them.  

• Like 1

Removed seat; listened for fuel pump sound at "key on", but not a whimper.   Bike's now on my trailer for him to take to Huntsville BMW where they can check for codes thrown to verify and repair.  Thanks to all.  jb