IGNORED

'07 R1200S Issues once warm

HellFishTat

Greetings all.

I wanted to post my issues here to see if anyone with a Hexhead has had similar issues...

"07 R1200S, Remus (cat-less) header, Akrapovic slip-on, Power Commander 5.

I have owned this bike for almost 7 years.  the accessories have been installed for the past 5.

In September, I started to notice the bike was missing once I got to operating temperature.  It would feel fine when on the throttle, but it would miss and often cut off at idle.

I made the assumption that it was a bad coil.  I replaced the two main stick coils, and all 4 spark plugs.  It seemed fine for a week, but then it started acting up again.  I took it to the local BMW mechanic.  He plugged in his BMW diagnostic tool and didn't see anything out of normal.

I checked the plugs to make sure they were gapped correctly and to double check that all the wiring was properly attached yesterday, and noticed the plugs were black and wet.  I took it out for a ride and (again) it was perfect for about 20 minutes.

Before I blindly spend the cash on the two bottom coils and new injectors, I wanted to ask here (normally on PelicanParts R1100/R1200 forum).

Thanks!

Kevin (HellFishTat)

1 hour ago, HellFishTat said:

Greetings all.

I wanted to post my issues here to see if anyone with a Hexhead has had similar issues...

"07 R1200S, Remus (cat-less) header, Akrapovic slip-on, Power Commander 5.

I have owned this bike for almost 7 years.  the accessories have been installed for the past 5.

In September, I started to notice the bike was missing once I got to operating temperature.  It would feel fine when on the throttle, but it would miss and often cut off at idle.

I made the assumption that it was a bad coil.  I replaced the two main stick coils, and all 4 spark plugs.  It seemed fine for a week, but then it started acting up again.  I took it to the local BMW mechanic.  He plugged in his BMW diagnostic tool and didn't see anything out of normal.

I checked the plugs to make sure they were gapped correctly and to double check that all the wiring was properly attached yesterday, and noticed the plugs were black and wet.  I took it out for a ride and (again) it was perfect for about 20 minutes.

Before I blindly spend the cash on the two bottom coils and new injectors, I wanted to ask here (normally on PelicanParts R1100/R1200 forum).

Afternoon   Kevin

If it runs OK at throttle with hot engine under load then that doesn't point to upper coils, could still easily be a lower coil as those do more for operation at idle than at higher RPM's under road load. (so we can't rule out the lower coils).

If it pulls good under road load then that usually means the fueling side is OK (good fuel flow at enough pressure). This isn't 100% but is a pretty good indicator. 

You probably won't find many or even a few with similar problems as very few 1200 riders use a Power Commander.

Which brings us to that Power Commander 5 -- That could easily be your problem if it is fueling off the o2 sensors hot. The o2 sensors don't come online & start full function until they have warmed up a bit so a possibility there. 

What are you using for o2 sensors?  If you have an o2 issue that could give you warm engine curb idle issues.  

Without understanding how you have the Power Commander 5 set up about all we can tell you is that could be contributing to your problem.  

You might disconnect the power commander then go back to stock fueling control just to eliminate that as your root issue.   

The PC5 bypasses the O2 sensors.

I’ll pull it off tomorrow and see what that does.  I just don’t t understand why, after several years that could be the problem, unless the PC is bad.

I saw a post about the oil temp/pressure sensor could affect the fueling.   I don’t know if that is true, but it’s an interesting option if it does 

1 hour ago, HellFishTat said:

I’ll pull it off tomorrow and see what that does.  I just don’t t understand why, after several years that could be the problem, unless the PC is bad.

I saw a post about the oil temp/pressure sensor could affect the fueling.   I don’t know if that is true, but it’s an interesting option if it does 

You wouldn't be the first person with a bad power commander. 

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

You wouldn't be the first person with a bad power commander. 

We see it in the Harley world often enough for it to be a suspect.

11 hours ago, HellFishTat said:

I saw a post about the oil temp/pressure sensor could affect the fueling.   I don’t know if that is true, but it’s an interesting option if it does. 

Morning  Kevin

About the oil temp/sensor affecting the fueling, it sure could, but keep in mind that is across the board so it would effect engine operation at road speed , acceleration, & high speed running so it wouldn't ONLY effect the warm idle. 

If you are running without the o2 sensors then make sure that you have a good TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)  input. (TPS position is learned correctly). 

-----  TPS re-learn procedure  -----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive  post for about 3 minutes.
Then 
*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive terminal.
Then
*Switch on the ignition.
Then
*Without starting the engine, fully open/close the throttle once or twice so that the engine management system can register the throttle-valve open/closed positions.
Then
*Switch off the ignition.

That's it__

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Kevin

About the oil temp/sensor affecting the fueling, it sure could, but keep in mind that is across the board so it would effect engine operation at road speed , acceleration, & high speed running so it wouldn't ONLY effect the warm idle. 

If you are running without the o2 sensors then make sure that you have a good TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)  input. (TPS position is learned correctly). 

-----  TPS re-learn procedure  -----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive  post for about 3 minutes.
Then 
*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive terminal.
Then
*Switch on the ignition.
Then
*Without starting the engine, fully open/close the throttle once or twice so that the engine management system can register the throttle-valve open/closed positions.
Then
*Switch off the ignition.

That's it__

Thanks all.  

I just finished taking the PC off.  I'll do the TPS reset and let you know once I get some coffee in me and take it for a ride.

It appears that it WAS the PC5.   I disconnected it this morning and reattached the O2 sensors and (after 60 miles) I am not getting any hiccups or stalling at stops.

13 minutes ago, HellFishTat said:

It appears that it WAS the PC5.   I disconnected it this morning and reattached the O2 sensors and (after 60 miles) I am not getting any hiccups or stalling at stops.

Morning  Kevin

You might want to do a PC5 re-connect then another ride just as a verification. If you also did a new TPS re-learn along with the PC5 disconnect then a PC5 re-connect would tell you if it actually  WAS the PC5 or possibly it was just the TPS re-learn. 

My brother (a mechanic and motorcycle rider) suggested I look to see if there was a updated firmware.  He's run 3 PC5's on his '98 Electraglide, his wife's Streetglide and his current Triumph R3T.  We talked this morning and he thinks he has a combined 100k with no issues.

Looking at their webpage, the one they have is from 2017, which I will assume is newer than the one on the PC.  I may download and install that one and give it one more go.

The only thing I'm really worried about is it running too lean.  After my 100 mile jaunt this morning, I don't FEEL any difference in the performance.  

I don't want to trash a $300 part, but I wouldn't feel right about trying to sell it, if it was indeed my issue.

Try an update. You can even mail it to them and they will give it the once over.

And as dr said, try it again now that you have done the tps relearn.

The independent BMW mechanic did the same thing last Friday and used the BMW diagnostic tool.  Everything was good according to him then.  He also did the TPS reset.   I think it’s just bad.  I’ll email Dynojet and see what they think.  If I remove it to send it in, I doubt I’d hassle with putting it back on.   

Next Friday is my 58th, and my brother and I usually go to the gun range and burn through his ammo supply.  Just want to make sure I can ride then and on New Years Eve/Day.  This will be my 36th year riding on those days.  After the year that was 2020, it will be a nice reminder of how fortunate I am to be alive, still ride, and live in the US.

Now if I could just convince my wife to let everyone get a used R1200RS...