Rebuilding Front Calipers

LBump

The R1100S has been sitting and I noticed the other day there was brake fluid on the wheel, rotor and caliper. Only on one side. I assume a seal went out...

So, I guess it's time to do a rebuild on the calipers. Question is: anything overly complicated about this, anything I should avoid etc. 

8 minutes ago, LBump said:

The R1100S has been sitting and I noticed the other day there was brake fluid on the wheel, rotor and caliper. Only on one side. I assume a seal went out...

So, I guess it's time to do a rebuild on the calipers. Question is: anything overly complicated about this, anything I should avoid etc. 

Afternoon  LBump

Northing complicated as they are pretty well straight forward same as most other 4 piston calipers. 

Unless you absolutely  have to do not take the caliper half's apart. 

If you buy your new seals from BMW they are pretty darn expensive as the BMW kit comes with new piston as well as seals.  

You might search aftermarket (or Beemer Boneyard) as you can probably find just the seals (no pistons for a lot less$$$).  

• Like 1

If you have access to compressed air it will make it easier to remove the pistons from the body. You would need to block two on one side first, then blow out the others by slowly introducing the air pressure. 

• Like 1
On 11/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, 041100S said:

If you have access to compressed air it will make it easier to remove the pistons from the body. You would need to block two on one side first, then blow out the others by slowly introducing the air pressure. 

If you do this, be careful. Watch out for your fingers when using compressed air, even with pressure turned down.