IGNORED

Even lower seat option?

cogger

Need some help from some of you experienced BMW riders.

I just purchased a new 2005 R1200RT with the low seat option at dealer cost! I am only 5 feet 8 inches with about 31 inch inseam so my I am on my toes (but I can flat foot it on one foot), so before the purchase I contacted several well known seat makers and was told by one of the best that they could definitely get my feet closer to the ground. I should have know better when all the other seat makers said they could not do it. Well guess what - when I was ready to send the seat in, they stated that they really could not get my feet any closer to the ground. So my question is, has anyone had their low seat lowered even further or made narrower in the front? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I am adding one inch to the soles of my boots (with cutouts for the shifter and brake). I do not want to lower the suspension. If I cannot get my feet flat on the ground (when I really stretch my legs), it is for sale - with only 147 miles on it. You have to see the road to house to understand this - about a quarter of mile of gravelly recycled asphalt, of which, about 50 yards that is very steep, and a very sharp, sloped left turn into my driveway. And no, an adventure bike is out the question for me - I want a road bike.

Thanks ahead of time.

I recently purchased an 05 R1200RT as well and immediately took the seat to a local upholstery guy that does it in his garage. He specializes in old cars and unfortunately when he redid my seat, plus lowered it about an inch he somehow destroyed the pan shape so that now the passenger seat hardly slips in and there is a big space between the two. I'm 5'2" by the way. If he wouldn't have wrecked the pan it would have been just an awesome seat. I've now ordered a Sargent. Maybe give them a call.

Tina

cool.gif

Cogger,

I'm a little confused. First, I'm around 5'9"+ but my inseam is only 30" so (in theory) I'm going to have a tougher time with seat height. I can flat foot with no problem on the low setting of my low seat (06 RT with low seat). Are you sure the seat is set to the low position (note it can be a little tricky to get the back snapped down all the way)? Second you mention your drive is 1/4 mile but I'm not sure why you'd be putting your feet down during the ride. I've even found that I'm comfortable enough on the bike now that I run in the high seat position. I'm slightly less than flat footed but the knee position while riding is a little more comfortable. I'd check the seat setting and give it a little more time. The RT is quite light and easy to balance so a little more practice may be all you need. Good luck.

Tina

I called Sargent. They specifically stated that they could not get my feet any lower to the ground.

Albert

The reason is that if/when I meet another car on the driveway, I may have to stop. The road slopes slightly to either side and I'm concerned about foot traction, or the lack of it. What if I'm on the right and suddenly have to put my right foot down when the road is sloping away to the right - and it turns to the right and is somewhat blind? The first time I rode the bike up the driveway and was making the left hand turn into the driveway, I dropped the bike when my foot/toe lost traction - $334 damage to the left mirror (can you see my red face). If I could come close to flat footing, I could at least walk the bike around the corner if I had to. Right now, I have to come to stop, and while tip-toeing, back the bike up (and down) and turn it left, and then go up the drive way. Again, you just have to the see the nightmare driveway. Everyone who has seen it has said they can't believe I'm riding a bike up and down this road. I don't even know if it's worth continuing to ride anymore because of the this stupid thing. I get stressed out just thinking about going down it before a ride and then as soon as I head home I start worrying the ride up it. (Long story about how we ended up here.)

If it wasn't for this driveway, this bike would be fine as it is, but I can't afford to take the chance of dropping it and I think my odds are not in my favor as it is.

I've now ordered a Sargent. Maybe give them a call.

Tina

cool.gif

Another data point - I recently ordered a Sargent LOW version seat for my R12RT and when it came it was actually about the same height as the BMW stock height seat. Plus due to it's width, it was actually harder to reach the ground than the stock height seat. YMMV

Rusty

What I mean't to say is, what if I meet a car going up or down the driveway (and it is somewhat blind to the right when going up) and I have to suddenly put my right foot down when it slopes away to the right. That would be big trouble. As it is, I can almost guarantee you that I would go down or at least have a tremendous amount of trouble even trying to get going again. Ugh.

Also, I definitely have the low seat and it is in the low position.

What I mean't to say is, what if I meet a car going up or down the driveway (and it is somewhat blind to the right when going up) and I have to suddenly put my right foot down when it slopes away to the right. That would be big trouble. As it is, I can almost guarantee you that I would go down or at least have a tremendous amount of trouble even trying to get going again. Ugh.

I'm wondering if some of your problem might be how slow you have to go to negotiate your driveway. Do you use the rear brake (and only the rear) to stabilize the bike by dragging it slightly as you apply throttle? This might allow you to maintain momentum even in a tight turn situation.

Rusty

I'm the same height, and have the same inseam as you. I just picked up my '06 RT, with the low seat, two weeks ago. I can certainly get one foot flat, and the other on the toes, if I'm forward in the seat. If I'm stopped, I can get both feet down flat if I "stand" straight, as opposed to "sit" on the seat. Perhaps the problem you describe with the driveway would not be solved with a lower seat. For us, the readers, it's hard to picture the driveway situation. I take it that it's a shared drive, and once you start up you don't know whether you'll meet another vehicle.

Best bet (though more costly) would be shorter shocks.. Due to the design, the lower you go on the RT seat, the further foerward you will be sitting.

Getting rid of the RT is not an option. Perish the thought. The most reasonable and least expensive solution for you is to regrade the driveway. Hire contractors! Use dynamite! Do whatever it takes. But do not get rid of the RT!

BTW... what do you want for it? grin.gif

Best bet (though more costly) would be shorter shocks.. Due to the design, the lower you go on the RT seat, the further foerward you will be sitting.
Speaking of shocks, do you have ESA? I believe the bike raises or lowers depending on the settings. Not much...but every little bit helps.

I'm also a new 30" inseam RT rider. I can almost flat foot with the lowest setting of the low seat. I was taught the following technique for maintaining stability on slopes or poor surfaces. Flat foot solidly on the downhill side or the left foot if level. Keeping the bike upright, put the uphill foot on the peg (don't try to reach the ground) or just have your leg over the seat. Its more solid than trying to balance on your toes. If there is loose gravel and you loose your footing, you can go down even if you have both feet flat.

I have ESA on my '06 RT and, with my 30" inseam, notice a big difference between the 2-up and 1-up settings. 2-up is in the tippy-toe range and 1-up is flat-footed. The sport/normal/comfort make a big difference in ride feel but not much in height.

Flat foot solidly on the downhill side

If that works for you then so be it but my bet is you'll wind up on something steep enough that you won't reach the ground in time to stop the bike from following you over on the down hill side. If I've got to "lose it" while stopped in an off camber situation I'd much prefer to lay it down gently to the up hill side.

I'm not so think as you drunk I am too. Said it backwards, downhill meaning the most acute angle of the bike and earth. Sorry for confusion.

Scott

gettysburg

I don't offer this as a solution, but just a test.

If you can't stand flat-footed without the seat(which I can't do with my 29" inseam), a low seat isn't going to help get flat footed. I found that any clearance gained by lowering the seat is canceled out the plastic body panels below the seat, which force my legs further apart.

Archived