IGNORED

No Start-Clock Reseting

LGannon

Bike won’t start . Was out for a ride this morning and I noticed the clock was at 0:00 when i started it up and didn’t think to much of it, when i went to come home it was slow to start, turned over ok but engine wouldn’t catch, clock was at 0:00 again. Tried to start it again this evening in the driveway, cranks ok but won’t fire. Clock goes to 0:00 every time the ignition is switched off, that’s odd right given the  battery is craniking the engine ? 

Starter motor was changed about a month ago and i I haven’t ridden it since, any ideas where to start looking

Sounds like a drained battery, or one that went punky.  The questions are why it went dead and that would need more info

Battery type and age?

Use of a battery tender & compatibility with type of battery? (seems bike sits for long periods between rides)

Do you have accessories that draw power, if yes how what are they and how  many in use simultaneously?

Thanks for the reply, would the cranking not indicate the battery is good? It turns over fine! Battery is about 5 years old but I keep it on a battery tender

It's enough to crank, slowly as you said, but that pulls power from the electronics, not enough to run the ignition, injectors, clock memory, etc.

Get a new battery, charge it before install, all problems should be solved.

Your issue is the classic symptoms of a dead battery.

1 hour ago, LGannon said:

Bike won’t start . Was out for a ride this morning and I noticed the clock was at 0:00 when i started it up and didn’t think to much of it, when i went to come home it was slow to start, turned over ok but engine wouldn’t catch, clock was at 0:00 again. Tried to start it again this evening in the driveway, cranks ok but won’t fire. Clock goes to 0:00 every time the ignition is switched off, that’s odd right given the  battery is craniking the engine ? 

Starter motor was changed about a month ago and i I haven’t ridden it since, any ideas where to start looking

Afternoon LGannon

Wouldn't' be a "dead" battery if the engine will crank, but could be a low battery.

Even so the clock problem might be something non related (or it isn't going to 00:00 when the key is turned off). With a low battery that would happen during engine cranking so should show 00:00 right after engine cranking.

In any case check fuse #3 for being blown-- Wouldn't be the starting problem but could be the clock problem.

If it will crank then they will usually give some signs of firing off so make sure that you aren't trying to start it with the side stand down & still in gear (clutch lever pulled in).

I’ll try jump it off the car, if it starts I’ll order a battery. On the clock issue It  resets to 0:00 once the ignition key is cycled even if i don’t attempt to start it, btw what is fuse 3?

9 minutes ago, LGannon said:

I’ll try jump it off the car, if it starts I’ll order a battery. On the clock issue It  resets to 0:00 once the ignition key is cycled even if i don’t attempt to start it, btw what is fuse 3?

Afternoon LGannon

Fuse #3 is 3rd fuse in from the L/H side (shifter side) of motorcycle in the under-seat fuse box. 

Sounds like a classic bad/intermittant battery connection to me. Pull all cables, clean with sand paper or wire brush. Make sure the batt. ground cable at both ends at a good clean ground. At least you know they are good. Yeah, I had a boat.

So she started off the car Battery, took a bit of cranking but fired up and ran ok, thanks to you all for the input and yes it looks like you were right but I had to check before forking out for a new battery.

WoW, It's Deva vu...

Start with a Ctek charger with a snowflake setting.  Plug it in and let it do,

what it do... Then try and start it with the clock set. If it starts and the clock is accurate,

WinnerWinner chicken dinner. If it starts and the clock goes to zeroz, try charging the battery again and start

motorcycle, clock good battery good. Remember it's colder and it takes ever bit of energy to start an Oilhead.

Happy Thanksgiving!