IGNORED

2021 GS

RandyShields

Here is another photo of the 40th anniversary colors on the 1200GS from my visit to my dealership today.  Also learned that there is a BMW-mandated stop sale order on these and other new bikes with Hayes brake calipers.  Confirmed on a few other sites.  I guess moving away from Brembo was a tough lesson to learn.

2021 GS.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I can’t believe without having a 100% certainty of why they were leaking, BMW put them on the twenty ones. :dontknow:

Afternoon Pat

BMW probably didn't have much choice.  On ABS systems the entire brake system needs to work together as designed, tested & certified.

To just swap on different calipers would take some time consuming durability testing, ABS calibration testing, brake system recertification, etc. 

Then you have the parts procurement  lead times, it takes a long time to get new parts built to spec, fully vetted, and into the system after the calibration, and durability testing.    

It's possible BMW is doing that right now but it isn't easy, quick, or cheap.  

BMW would probably like a do-over but that would be hind sight. 

• Thanks 1

I can imagine the dealer network frustration, paying floor plan interest on bikes they cannot sell. 

As for time consuming durability testing, it would appear Hayes skipped that step.

I don't understand why they couldn't use the R&D info and specs from the Brembo system they used prior and retro fit.................

Although BMW does have a history of pinching pennies and costing them dollars:3:

2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I don't understand why they couldn't use the R&D info and specs from the Brembo system they used prior and retro fit.................

Although BMW does have a history of pinching pennies and costing them dollars:3:

And in an ironic twist, my parts guy says the dealer cost for the Brembo replacements are $50 cheaper than the Hayes units!  All in, this new brake trial will cost BMW a lot.

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

Isn't BMW using the Brembo units on the 2020/21 R1250R and RS models?

I don't know, I don't work at a dealer anymore..... but I know they used to.

19 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Those colors look good.   It was if they are trying to lure away RT owners that have bright colored paint schemes.  :dontknow:

The new 2021 colors for the RT are wholly uninspiring and I am loathe to swap from my Mars Red 2019 RT considering the brake problems which I do have. Seriously they cannot sell new bikes but I am safe to ride? 

3 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

The new 2021 colors for the RT are wholly uninspiring and I am loathe to swap from my Mars Red 2019 RT considering the brake problems which I do have. Seriously they cannot sell new bikes but I am safe to ride? 

Morning fourteenfour

It's not their (BMW's) call, NHTSA won't allow new vehicles to be sold with any pending safety recalls UNTIL the recall has been completed. 

Your motorcycle was sold prior to the recall so it was not YET effected by NHTSA. 

Now if it is (later) determined by BMW or by NHTSA that your motorcycle model isn't safe to ride until the recall is completed then BMW will issue a "stop riding order"  (or something similar).  Sometimes that can also get you a buy-back offer, or buy-back opportunity, or small non-use refund  from the  MoCo. 

To DR's point...When the 14 RT came out it had a stop ride letter issued to us for a shock issue.  Mine was affected.  I was the 8th in the US and 1st in Texas according to their records.  The dealer wanted to come pickup the bike right away.  I said no not until you have the cure.  I don't want it getting banged around in your shop.

BMW was generous but slow.  While the stop ride order was in effect BMW offered us a few alternatives.  To the best of my memory they were:

Take the bike back and all the accessories at full price.

A loaner bike of equal value until the bike was fixed

$2500 compensation and fix the bike

A deep discount on a 1600  I think it was list $29 and they would sell at 21 and take my bike back.

I was considering the 1600 until I rode it.  They let me take a demo for a couple of days.  I just didn't like it

I decided I would take the $2500 cash and get my bike repaired because I really liked it.  Per my memory they fixed them in the order of when they were bought.  They published the list of buyers and when they bought them.  Thats how I knew what by sequence was.  From memory I believe it was 3 months or so before it was repaired.  I did not ride it.  They came and got it and offered to bring it back.

Hope this gives you an idea of how it worked.  Not sure your recall will work that way, but if one of the above options is interesting to you perhaps you can call BMW and tell them what you want.

Almost 7 years on the bike now and if I were buying a new bike today it is exactly what I would buy.  No real complaints...minor crap like seat, headlight bulbs, but bike has been bullett proof so far.

• Like 1

The Hayes Calipers are on RT’s,  GS’s and the S1000.  I find it odd that they are using Hayes on the front but Brembo on the rears.  Not only can’t they deliver any of the impacted ax bikes they are not allowed to write up the sale order even if the customer is happy to wait until spring!

I agree the colors for 2021 are uninspiring.  I do really like the Manhattan RT but that’s about it.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW I have the Hayes calipers on my 2020 GSA and they've been fine. No leaks after 1 year and 16,000 miles, and they have a better feel than the Brembos on my 2016 GSA.

NTHSA threshold for action is pretty low, actually, and of course internet fora exist so people can report problems so even if it seems like everyone's got pools of brake fluid under their bike that's not actually the case. I'm not saying that if your bike has issues it's trivial, just that generalizing on the basis of a small sample that's incentivized to report problems could lead to faulty conclusions. 

Well I did not know my bike had issues until the dealer told me it did. Frankly, if leaking brakes result in a stop sale that last three months or more they should be required to buy back any bike they sold previously with the same issue