ABS

Car 54

I am original owner. Build date 0207. Milage is about 15,550. Started to get intermittent “Brake Failure” light on dash after I started moving. Got more frequent then stayed on all the time. Also noticed I was not hearing ABS motor spinning up with start. Bike has Gen II ABS. 

Still have original fuel strip though. Keeping fingers crossed.

John

10 hours ago, Car 54 said:

I am original owner. Build date 0207. Milage is about 15,550. Started to get intermittent “Brake Failure” light on dash after I started moving. Got more frequent then stayed on all the time. Also noticed I was not hearing ABS motor spinning up with start. Bike has Gen II ABS. 

Still have original fuel strip though. Keeping fingers crossed.

John

Morning John

Sounds like possibly a sticking motor brush in the rear servo motor (happens occasionally on the I-ABS gen II systems). 

Hi DR,

My thoughts exactly. The first time I noticed the problem was springtime when I pulled it out of cold storage after winter. It went slowly downhill from there. As the brakes worked fine individually I did not worry about ir too much although I did flush the brake fluid throughout but without success. 

Disassembly was interesting. Still trying to figure if I can do any other work on the bike while I have all the plastic off. First bike with ABS. 

Best, John

ABS module arrived in Idaho today. Thanksgiving held it up for several days. Hope they find what I think is the problem. Fingers crossed.

John

I received a  call from Module Masters a few minutes ago. My ABS unit is done and will be shipped. I inquired about issued they might have found and was informed it was the brushes. Just as I hoped/suspected. Also inquired about the fix and possible preventive measures. They stated they use a better quality brush set during the repair process and no suggested remedy otherwise. Cost was $250 plus shipping.

Will install as soon as I get it back and installed but have snow on the ground so no road test until the roads are clean. I will post results when that happens.

Best, John

• 4 weeks later...

On my 05 I bypassed/disabled the whizzy brakes and abs.  I used a replacement pcm unit from RH Electronics called their Second Life Kit.  I did the "lite" version, which is only the pcm, but I think I would have spent the extra dollars to get the regular unit if I did it again to make replacement a bit simpler.  So far, I am good with it, but didn't get to ride it much before the season change here.  I wish I had abs, but no more whizzy brakes and no more worries about it failing.  One reason I didn't go with Module Masters was the wait. I am debating if I should keep the brake unit, sell the unit as is, or get it updated by them and then sell it.  If only there was a way to update to the newer abs without the whizzy brakes.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Good evening,

Been away for awhile and was just reading through posts. I realized I never got back on the results. I reinstalled the rebuilt ABS, bled the system very well and waited for a clear driveway which took awhile. As I am back in the woods in rural MA with a 1,000’ driveway, I thought I would have to wait for some time. 

In early January I did have a snow free driveway so out came the bike. Rolled it out of my shop, turned towards the drive and started it up. Warmed for two minutes or so, put it in gear and moved off. Brake failure light went out in less than 20 feet. Drove to the end of the driveway and back and no return of the light. Seems good to go but need to wait till spring for a really good ride. Feel of the brakes was rock solid. First application of the brake was more noticeable than in recent memory but may just have been kicking in for the first time since rebuild. Anything changes I will advise.

Best, John