IGNORED

Spyder~~Slider

TEWKS

8 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Not much of a family man is he...:rofl:

Ya, the hummer was more important than the passengers.........but, I've done the same thing when I stood my Jeep on its nose, straight vertical, into a tree crushing the windshield frame.  Wife and two daughters (12 and 4) were in the Jeep,......my main concern was the damned jeep.

image.png.a8796201e785ed8a63b4cd98cef90c14.png

Oops 2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

,......my main concern was the damned jeep.

I’m sure you did a quick sweep before the Jeep Weep set in. :classic_biggrin: That looked fun (meaning you used it as intended) miss it? 

20 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’m sure you did a quick sweep before the Jeep Weep set in. :classic_biggrin: That looked fun (meaning you used it as intended) miss it? 

I had just completed a conference in Nashville, hit the trails for the weekend in Monteagle and had to be in Rockville, MD that Monday,.......how do I get there without a windshield.  Well, a fellow Jeeper let me borrow hisimage.jpeg.2d890a80ae8f55fcb4bc55b3c6bc17a6.jpeg

Once I got to Rockville, I got on the Jeep sites, found somebody in South Jersey selling the frame and windshield for $100,.....told him I'd head up there that Friday to pick it up.  Ended up giving the red one back about six months later as that's the next time me and the young guy met up.  His jeep was a trail only, mine was a daily driver.

Oh, and the tires you see on it are the trail tires (37s, street tires were ittybitty 35s), the wife brought them up from Albany, Ga when she came to meet me,......she loaded them all by herself........dem tings be heavy!! 

New frame.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

That's why the shield folds and straps to the hood, for just such an occasion! Goggle up and go!

If you notice, across the bottom, you'll see a cross bar and one of the upper pictures, you see the upper cross bar.  First mod was a full cage, not the cheesy "sport cage" that they come with.  Methinks that's what stopped the full "mush" into the tree as there were "tree scrappings" on the upper bar.  If the bar hadn't been there, I think the mush would have gone deeper.

Never be surprised with what an off-roader carries.  On the trail, we lowered the windshield, covered it with a blanket, and strapped it down to continue the trail ride for the day.  Glass fragments had gotten all over both my wife and me, another jeepers wife pulled out a vacuum packed tshirt for her to change into.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:44 PM, TEWKS said:

Now that’s gonna leave a mark but hey, you have to give kudos for the dismount! :clap:

I took a Can-Am Spyder for a demo ride several years ago. My wife has been an outstanding passenger for more than 50 years, but after a quarter mile of going from shoulder to shoulder on a 3-lane highway, she wanted to get off and walk back to the dealership. I pulled into the parking lot of a bank, and persuaded her to ride back with me.

I'm sure I could have eventually overcome muscle memory from fifty years of counter-steering, but my concern was than  in an emergency situation old habits would kick in, and I would end up going off the road. I still want to try a ride in a Polaris Slingshot because it has a steering wheel and side-by-side seating, but the Spyder is definitely not for me.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Selden said:

I still want to try a ride in a Polaris Slingshot because it has a steering wheel and side-by-side seating,

A freakin' blast to drive, I wouldn't call it riding, but driving.

When I was doing the family's hurricane relief, my sister in law, threw me the keys to hers.  Easily hitting the triple digits and a very stable ride,....kinda reminded me of the MGB's but with much more power.  Ultra low to the ground makes it feel faster.

• Like 1

Selden, there is definitely a re-learning curve to get through. I have quite a few years of ATV experience and believed that helped to shorten my learning time. It becomes very natural once you get it.

The other thing to think about is if the spyder needed an alignment, been told they can be a handful.

The slingshot looks awesome, never been in one but I’d like to try someday. My one concern would be pulling my arse up and out of the thing. Looks like work? :dontknow:

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, Selden said:

I took a Can-Am Spyder for a demo ride several years ago. My wife has been an outstanding passenger for more than 50 years, but after a quarter mile of going from shoulder to shoulder on a 3-lane highway, she wanted to get off and walk back to the dealership. I pulled into the parking lot of a bank, and persuaded her to ride back with me.

I'm sure I could have eventually overcome muscle memory from fifty years of counter-steering, but my concern was than  in an emergency situation old habits would kick in, and I would end up going off the road. I still want to try a ride in a Polaris Slingshot because it has a steering wheel and side-by-side seating, but the Spyder is definitely not for me.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, TEWKS said:

Selden, there is definitely a re-learning curve to get through. I have quite a few years of ATV experience and believed that helped to shorten my learning time. It becomes very natural once you get it.

The other thing to think about is if the spyder needed an alignment, been told they can be a handful.

The slingshot looks awesome, never been in one but I’d like to try someday. My one concern would be pulling my arse up and out of the thing. Looks like work? :dontknow:

I'm with Selden on this.  I've 'piloted' about every kind of vehicle one can think of and those Can-Am scare me. My X got one recently, and it's kept in top shape by the dealer. On a perfectly smooth road it's fine but, we have few of those around here.

They say, just relax and let it go straight. The problem is, everytime one of the front tires hits a bump, they change direction.  If you don't correct, you will go straight, straight off the side of the road or straight into oncoming traffic.

I've got plenty of 3 wheeler and quad time under my belt and none of them felt as unstable as the Can-Am. 

• Like 1

I still say time on the seat helps you adapt to the strangeness of the vehicle. :spittake: But, they aren’t for everyone that’s for sure. My plan was to use it as a tug for the little teardrop camper I’ve got. For that, it’s pretty neat. Time to actually use it is another story all together. :facepalm:
Surprised to hear that with trike & quad experience, it still feels strange. :dontknow:

3 hours ago, Dave334478 said:

They say, just relax and let it go straight. The problem is, everytime one of the front tires hits a bump, they change direction.

My wife has one of the original Spyders ... has normal clutch and 5 speed shifter.  Most of the stability problems can be related to the front alignment which is notoriously off.  I redid the front alignment myself using an old racer "string" method and it was well worth the effort.

In addition , a larger front sway bar helps tremendously.  It tracks straight and corners much more flat.  Takes some unique steering inputs, but still can be fun to ride.  For my wife its the only option as she is too short for 2 wheels (we've tried almost all other options) .

I have ridden 2 wheels for over 50 years, and owned a 2015 Spyder F-3.  Sold it last year because I had too many bikes.  I rode the Spyder in the smokies following a friend who bought my 2012 BMW R12GSA and after about 50 miles, he asked "how in hell are you keeping up with me?!"  Now, I admit I was worn out after the days ride, but it was a blast!