IGNORED

SHOCK REPLACEMENT

ully211

My 2009 RT is just  going over 50,000 and I've never replaced the OEM shocks.  It still seems to ride very smooth, but I'm by no means an "expert" at knowing what specifically to look for even after 100,000+ miles on three BMW's.   Would love some "expert" advice on how to determine when to pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!!!

I am by no means a suspension expert, but found that the seat of my pants worked well to tell me when to get motivated. I had my factory shocks (first gen ESA) refurbished around the same mileage you have on your RT, but I could definitely tell that it started to get much less smooth. Refitting the now refurbished set confirmed that seat of pants was correct.

The common perception is that around the 50 k mileage shocks should be replaced on any bike. I am of the opinion that they should be replaced if there are signs of deterioration in performance. I think the life of the shocks makes a difference too. My bike does 90% of the mileage two up so I was not surprised mine needed a new lease on life. If your bike had an easier life, it would not be surprising that the shocks still work fine. I would not touch them until performance decrease is evident.

I don't remember the mileage, maybe 50-60k, I replaced the front ESA shock due to it leaking with a used shock.  The rear is pushing 140k.

Bike rides fine for me.  Of course, if you put new shocks on, or ride a newer bike, ya, it'll feel much better.  I'm no pro but I ride my bikes near daily, GSA one week, RT the next week.

• 2 weeks later...
aggieengineer

At 40,000 miles, the damping in the rear shock of my 2008 model was nearly gone. I had Ted Porter swap the ESA units to Tractive shocks and springs. The handling was restored, and it felt like a new bike. I elected to replace the alternator belt while the front shock was out. The new spring is a bit larger in diameter, and will make removal of the belt cover more difficult. The old belt showed no signs of distress, however.

Perhaps these links will be of help.

https://www.beemershop.com/category/esa-shocks.html

https://www.beemershop.com/category/esa-conversions.html

My 09 had 42k miles when the rear damping went away. Went with Tractive front and rear.  Ted Porter reviewed weights, riding, etc and went up one higher spring on rear.  All feels much more planted and no more wallowing while running the N. Ga mountains.  Just did this in November and glad I did

• 3 weeks later...

07 RT at about 33,000 miles I could tell they needed help.  I went with Ted Porter as well.  Super easy to work with and it is like having a new bike.  Good luck with it.

• 2 months later...

I went with Tractive too, with manual rear adjuster.  06 rt with 25k.  Much better,  you don't realize the suspension degeneration over time because it's so gradual.  I had to loosen my alternator to get the front one in.  Others said they didn't need too, but I tried every which way but loose with no luck.  I also replaced the alternator belt at that point.