IGNORED

Edelweiss Bike Travel

TEWKS

I was lucky enough to take part in two of their tours in the mid nineties. Without a doubt some of the best motorcycling roads on earth. Here's four (if they play in succession) passes that are included in various tours they offer.  I'm one lucky lottery ticket away from becoming a permanent tour participant! :yes: Seriously, that's all I'd do, book one trip after another.  :burnout:

Some very nice aerial footage to enjoy. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Edelweiss is the reason I joined this group, my wife and I did a tour with them 5 years ago, The Ultimate Alps Tour. Just Alps. No castles, no churches, no breweries or vineyards, just riding. It was ten days of heaven, and more than a few instances of big time tests of my riding skills. (After the first day, I told my wife, we have 9 more days of riding, we are going to die. Luckily, we did not. No road will scare me again after those.)

The bike I chose was the RT, and I loved it. I have been pondering getting one ever since, so I joined this forum to get more info. Might be time for a test ride this spring. My Harley buddies might not understand.

You are right Tewks, Edelweiss does it right, and like you, if I won the lottery, my life would consist of tours with them, and recovering from tours with them.

I cannot recommend them enough if anyone is considering a tour.

• Like 1

This is a video I pass along when trying to show what it's like riding the Alps.

This is Stelvio Pass, described as the greatest driving road on earth. (Grossglackner is also fantastic.) 48 switchbacks just going up. This video is going up, rather long at 23 minutes, (fast forward to 4 minutes to get into the more interesting parts) but pretty entertaining, especially once he starts passing traffic.

This is not me, posted by another, but similar to the conditions we rode in, not as many bicycles when we were there, but still a lot. We rode this pass the first day, hence my statement that we are going to die.

Hope you enjoy it. Turn it up.

• Like 2

Edelweiss is the reason I’ve been on a RT since 2004 when I went on their tour out of Innsbruck
After the trip I located a 2 y/o 2002 RT with 2000 miles on her 

It still is the best motorcycle trip I’ve been on

We did Stelvio as well

• Like 2

When the new Edelweiss tour book comes in every year, I run thru the house yelling "The new tour book is in! The new tour book is in!" My wife just shakes her head, and looks at me like I'm a lunatic.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

When the new Edelweiss tour book comes in every year, I run thru the house yelling "The new tour book is in! The new tour book is in!" My wife just shakes her head, and looks at me like I'm a lunatic.

Been doin that for 16 years now :3:

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

This is a video I pass along when trying to show what it's like riding the Alps.

This is Stelvio Pass, described as the greatest driving road on earth. (Grossglackner is also fantastic.) 48 switchbacks just going up. This video is going up, rather long at 23 minutes, (fast forward to 4 minutes to get into the more interesting parts) but pretty entertaining, especially once he starts passing traffic.

This is not me, posted by another, but similar to the conditions we rode in, not as many bicycles when we were there, but still a lot. We rode this pass the first day, hence my statement that we are going to die.

Hope you enjoy it. Turn it up.

The scenery and road are beautiful, but honestly that mostly looks like a hassle!

• Like 1

That's why I said that after that no road will ever scare me.

And really, it wasn't that bad, and quite the adventure. None of the other roads were anywhere near that busy, but were as technical and more, just a riders dream. This rider, anyway.

Of course I had to buy the T-shirt once we got to the top of Stelvio.

Don't let that video talk you out of going if you get the chance. Take the plunge and GO!

The true pont of this thread that I steered from Tewks' original post, is that Edelweiss does a fantastic job of making a bike tour in a foreign country a really great experience, and I really want to do so many more.

This is the same road, Stelvio Pass, but a lot less frantic.

https://youtu.be/MZ-z2wSktig

8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

The true pont of this thread that I steered from Tewks' original post, is that Edelweiss does a fantastic job of making a bike tour in a foreign country a really great experience, and I really want to do so many more.

Yes they do, and yes I do, too. :grin: :thumbsup:

The one thing you have to be careful with while on their tours is it’s easy to become lazy and not study the maps or even take notes. 

I don’t remember where this is :dontknow: but I’m happy. :grin:

181B79EF-CF4B-4750-B22B-5A6C6DB5627F.jpeg

Or here. :dontknow:

6436743D-576D-48A7-9F88-F3D797CFEB9B.jpeg

I do remember this, it was a day off of travel so we circled Lake Garda in northern Italy. Can’t waste ride time sitting on a beach! :yes:

Correct shirt for the area. :grin:

B1AA9EF5-1E94-429E-80D6-6CDE401F349B.jpeg

We took a few pictures near signs, so at least I can tell where we were a few times. The rest, just good pictures.

We got maps from Edelweiss, but they were so busy it was hard to read, but I did have the guides highlight our daily routes, so I've got that going for me. If I could find the maps around here somewhere...

My favorite sign while there, No Children Allowed!

IMG_20160822_110932.jpg

• Haha 1

I've got that same picture of Stelvio, looks like so much fun. Turns out, it really is! The true elevation changes at the switchbacks aren't completely captured in a photograph.

Just got this quick little video emailed from Edelweiss. I want to go ride this road to nowhere, it looks perfect.

(Go to about 45 seconds in to skip the intro talking)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Just got this quick little video emailed from Edelweiss. I want to go ride this road to nowhere, it looks perfect.

(Go to about 45 seconds in to skip the intro talking)

That looks like fun. 

• 4 weeks later...

Cool! ^ :thumbsup:

I will now have to dig through bins to see if I have that issue. :grin:
Here’s a small group on our tour. I think probably less than half are pictured here. We had Peter Egan and his wife on our first tour. Kinda :cool:!

F859C970-C53D-45CB-A9C7-F45872D385A6.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Founder of Edelweiss Bike Travel Werner Wachter passed away on January 16th at the age of 77. :( Not sure if it gave a cause but, sad no less. I got to meet him on our first tour with the company. He was there because Peter Egan of Cycle World magazine was on that particular tour.  

I met him as well. It was in Indiana I believe when they held a meeting to create interest.. He was one of a handful of individuals to jump into a nearly freezing lake. It was a challenge that he put out to everyone the night before.

sad to hear of his passing

• Like 1
On 12/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, TEWKS said:

Cool! ^ :thumbsup:

I will now have to dig through bins to see if I have that issue. :grin:
Here’s a small group on our tour. I think probably less than half are pictured here. We had Peter Egan and his wife on our first tour. Kinda :cool:!

F859C970-C53D-45CB-A9C7-F45872D385A6.jpeg

Tweks....this is so funny. I did the Stelio in 2004 -it was awesome. Scrolling through this thread I noticed your picture. My bother is the guy on the far right, and his wife on left with red/white helmet.

How bizarre! Too funny and cool. Sent him the pic and he verified what a great time it was.

• Haha 1

Wow, I remember him and his wife. He may have sent this very picture to me after the tour. I will look for a couple more pics tomorrow! :thumbsup:

edit...a long time but I’m pulling up

Rick & Susie? :5146:

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Wow, I remember him and his wife. He may have sent this very picture to me after the tour. I will look for a couple more pics tomorrow! :thumbsup:

edit...a long time but I’m pulling up

Rick & Susie? :5146:

Yes!....Rick & Susie. Rick told me he still communicates with your tour guide to this day.

That's awesome.

• Like 1

Ok, looking through my pics this morning I realize, I’ve confused the two tours. Peter Egan wasn’t on tour two with your bro. Old age is setting in but hey, I did pull up Rick & Susie relatively easy. There’s still some hope I guess. :classic_biggrin: A few pics.

A8319DAE-8FAC-423F-B9E8-AB6EE137A0DB.jpeg

808DCECB-CF21-4937-801E-1F24EFCADC98.jpeg

6ED3F5E7-706E-4855-B578-7AE839E66331.jpeg

D7354E76-FFA9-493D-8646-A7345C848B35.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's Werner talking with Perri Cappel.  I'm on left facing the camera and my GS/PD is in the background being wiped down by good samaritan Lynn Brown.   Werner was an avid sportsman, as likely to be found on a bicycle as a motorcycle.   RIP2137355021_PerriWernercopy.thumb.jpg.29287f6bd8f275236c5676663f60e6dd.jpg

• Like 2

Great picture Thor! :thumbsup: I see you were an early adopter of the versatile GS line. ;) 

I was following our guide one day and he was riding a very similar bike to yours. He turned his head to check on his duckings just as we approached a narrow bridge. He drifted slightly to the right and hit a stone marker at the entrance to the bridge. Now this was a small stream maybe six feet across but he did an endo crash into that stream and I’ll tell ya, I thought he was done for. :facepalm: 

He jumps up, shakes it off, picks up the bike and rides it back up onto the roadway. He then straightens out the bars and continued the day. :5185:

The story’s not meant to embarrass, more to show admiration for his toughness. The GS did very well also but, it’d take me a few more years to figure that out. :classic_biggrin: 

Markus Hellrigl

97270897a8df8637606f086dcb95ef04_%5B200x

One more short story.

We were somewhere in Italy and he must of had a deal with this local woman. An older lady, sort of grandmotherly. Anyway, for roughly five bucks each she had us in her house at her kitchen table and she cooked us a nice pasta lunch. The details are fading as time passes but that overall memory will stay with me for life. It was a neat experience! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Pat

Marcus is a great guy.  Not sure he's still with Edelweiss.   I rode with him in Norway and South Africa.   He put together a great ride for sure.   Here's a shot of he and I in South Africa.

7 ThorGroup copy 3.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Ok, looking through my pics this morning I realize, I’ve confused the two tours. Peter Egan wasn’t on tour two with your bro. Old age is setting in but hey, I did pull up Rick & Susie relatively easy. There’s still some hope I guess. :classic_biggrin: A few pics.

A8319DAE-8FAC-423F-B9E8-AB6EE137A0DB.jpeg

808DCECB-CF21-4937-801E-1F24EFCADC98.jpeg

6ED3F5E7-706E-4855-B578-7AE839E66331.jpeg

D7354E76-FFA9-493D-8646-A7345C848B35.jpeg

Teaks, these are amazing! Great pics and certainly represents the whole "small world" thing. Just hung up talking with my brother about the photos - brought such a small and good memories back.

Let me know if you want his contact info or if you want to give me yours, maybe you guys can catch up. 

Great stuff. Thanks.

• Like 1

Now these were from our first tour in 94. Thor, Markus was a great tour guide for sure. Says on their web page he’s still with the company having the title of “Tour Operation & Workshop”.

9DA418D8-203A-4948-A329-7B793F94EB22.jpeg

30402F21-0449-4CB2-8BE7-02C604FDA073.jpeg

Told ya I met Peter Egan and his wife Barbara like, nine hundred times already. :rofl: It was cool meeting him after reading his stuff in cycle world for years. 

E1C891D9-1107-4E38-A6D1-4A856528E47D.jpeg

B2450B99-1EBF-4082-9C6A-00CD621221E3.jpeg

13 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Now these were from our first tour in 94. Thor, Markus was a great tour guide for sure. Says on their web page he’s still with the company having the title of “Tour Operation & Workshop”.

9DA418D8-203A-4948-A329-7B793F94EB22.jpeg

30402F21-0449-4CB2-8BE7-02C604FDA073.jpeg

Told ya I met Peter Egan and his wife Barbara like, nine hundred times already. :rofl: It was cool meeting him after reading his stuff in cycle world for years. 

E1C891D9-1107-4E38-A6D1-4A856528E47D.jpeg

B2450B99-1EBF-4082-9C6A-00CD621221E3.jpeg

Tewks, all these pics are great. I forwarded some to Rick.

I actually this the cafe is a place I went to on my tour. Just fabulous.

Yes, my brother still rides. Lives in NJ now after being in NY for 40 years. We haven't done a trip together for a while because of Covid, but hopefully soon.

• Like 1

Very Cool! Tell him he should join the board, you never know, a START or FART rally down in North Carolina might just end up calling us all at the same time! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...