IGNORED

ABS pump relay

Frank Cloud

After 21 years, the RT finally gave me an issue where I had to take it to the shop.   After it cycled through ABS once, I got the infamous continuous whir of a stuck or welded relay.   Parked the bike, disconnected the battery terminal and put my name on a month long waiting list for repair.     They have had the bike for a couple of weeks, and are trying to get some company on the west coast to send them a relay.   When I've done some research, though expensive, doesn't seem like this should be that hard to get.    If anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know.

9 hours ago, Frank Cloud said:

After 21 years, the RT finally gave me an issue where I had to take it to the shop.   After it cycled through ABS once, I got the infamous continuous whir of a stuck or welded relay.   Parked the bike, disconnected the battery terminal and put my name on a month long waiting list for repair.     They have had the bike for a couple of weeks, and are trying to get some company on the west coast to send them a relay.   When I've done some research, though expensive, doesn't seem like this should be that hard to get.    If anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know.

Morning Frank

That is sort of a special relay as it carries higher current than most vehicle relay's so it has heavy duty internal contacts & larger spades.

You can usually find them used on E-Bay, or possibly  if you call a few BMW dealers someone might have one still in stock so can ship it to you. 

You need relay---   61362306526    --  ABS Motor Relay. 

As Jim said you can ride without it (won't have any ABS) but the tupperware needs to be removed to replace or remove/install that relay as it is under that sliding cover on the ABS pump.  

Maybe try calling Max BMW as they usually offer free shipping.     https://www.maxbmw.com/

This is timely. My neighbor has been looking at a 2002 R1100S. The current owner said he disabled the ABS because of an unspecified "electrical issue." Apparently, he also re-routed the brake lines around the ABS unit. My neighbor likes the bike, but is leery of the ABS modifications.

My questions are:

1. If the ABS stops working, would it not be sufficient merely to pull its fuse? I don't see why any brake line changes would be required.
  2. If my neighbor decides to buy the bike, what has to be done to remove the ABS unit entirely? It seems like removing it would get rid of a few pounds that are carried high, and new brake lines would be required.
32 minutes ago, Selden said:

This is timely. My neighbor has been looking at a 2002 R1100S. The current owner said he disabled the ABS because of an unspecified "electrical issue." Apparently, he also re-routed the brake lines around the ABS unit. My neighbor likes the bike, but is leery of the ABS modifications.

My questions are:

1. If the ABS stops working, would it not be sufficient merely to pull its fuse? I don't see why any brake line changes would be required.
  2. If my neighbor decides to buy the bike, what has to be done to remove the ABS unit entirely? It seems like removing it would get rid of a few pounds that are carried high, and new brake lines would be required.

Morning Selden

On the 2002 1100S there is no viable ABS fuse to remove. 

Too bad it's an "S" bike, on most I-ABS BMW 1100S motorcycles the speedometer is driven by the ABS electronics so if the  ABS module is completely removed he will lose the speedometer function. 

There are some work-arounds like removing the complete ABS module then enclosing the ABS electronics to retain speedometer function then mounting back on motorcycle.  But on some that will leave the ABS electronics clicking away under the seat.

As far as brake line re-routing, the I-ABS system on that  "S" bike has that darn residual mode so without a functioning ABS pump system the brakes feel like driving a power brake automobile with the power brakes not working  (very poor braking power, no brake feel, sluggish braking) --You REALLY don't want to ride an I-ABS BMW motorcycle without the power assist working.  So brake line re-routing is  really the preferred way to ride without a fully functioning ABS pump.  

Those BMW 1100S bikes are enough different in some areas that you can't go by standard 1100RT or 1150RT  common knowledge. (basically don't assume anything on the 1100S motorcycle without verifying first)

The brake system that you are asking about is not the same ABS system that this thread was started about so please start a new thread if you need more info about the "S" bike system.