IGNORED

Another Dead Headlight

IndyAndy

Was riding my 2004 R1150R recently when the front headlight fell out of the housing after a hit a heavy bump.  The bulb was damaged so I put a new one in but now the headlight and the driving light doesn't work.  I've checked all of the fuses and swapped the lighting relay with the abs relay.  Still nothing.  The hi beam/flash to pass switch has been cleaned recently and the high beam indicator on the dash lights up when I toggle the hi beam switch.  The turn signals, dash & gauge lights, tail light and brake light all work but the license plate light is also out. 

I got out my volt meter and am getting 11-12 volts at headlight socket for the high and low beams but nothing from the running light.  I'm really confused.  How can I be getting voltage at the headlight socket but the light still won't come on?  I plugged in another headlight that is known to be good and still nothing.  

I haven't traced the brown or grey wires for the daytime running light yet, but could a short in either of those be the issue? 

38 minutes ago, IndyAndy said:

Was riding my 2004 R1150R recently when the front headlight fell out of the housing after a hit a heavy bump.  The bulb was damaged so I put a new one in but now the headlight and the driving light doesn't work.  I've checked all of the fuses and swapped the lighting relay with the abs relay.  Still nothing.  The hi beam/flash to pass switch has been cleaned recently and the high beam indicator on the dash lights up when I toggle the hi beam switch.  The turn signals, dash & gauge lights, tail light and brake light all work but the license plate light is also out. 

I got out my volt meter and am getting 11-12 volts at headlight socket for the high and low beams but nothing from the running light.  I'm really confused.  How can I be getting voltage at the headlight socket but the light still won't come on?  I plugged in another headlight that is known to be good and still nothing.  

I haven't traced the brown or grey wires for the daytime running light yet, but could a short in either of those be the issue? 

Morning Andy 

Make sure that your headlight ground (brown wire) has continuity to ground (possibly the headlight falling out yanked on it & damaged it).

Also, check the new bulb, people have a nasty habit of buying a new headlight bulb, installing it, then putting the old bulb back in the box then returning it for a refund.  Next guy comes along & buys it then spends hours tying to figure out why the new headlight doesn't work. 

If still nothing found then re-check the headlight 12v in & headlight ground under the load of an installed bulb. You can measure 12v at the bulb socket (with no bulb load) but see well under 1 volt under bulb load if there is high resistance in the headlight circuit. 

Also, check fuse #2 for your rear light & side light being out. If you are sure that fuse #2 is good (measured with an ohmmeter not just visually) then see if you have 12v into & out of fuse #2 (THIS is important as it will tell us where to look next so be sure to see if you have 12v into fuse #2).

DR thanks for the advice on checking the voltage with a bulb in the headlight socket.  When doing so, the voltage dropped down to 2 which had me searching for a short.  What I found was a ground wire that had come partially loose but looked connected by initial observation.  I re-established a positive ground connection and VOILA the lights work!