IGNORED

camp chairs???

gottago

Was wondering how many of you include a camp chair of one kind or another when going on extended trips? And are the Kermit chairs worth the extra weight and money?

I normally pack a Kermit chair when I am camping. It is very comfortable and packs into a very short, compact roll. IMO it is well worth the money.

I expect to have mine at Gunnison.

I have a Kermit and like it. It can be a great pleasure to mini lounge when on the road with such a well crafted product; hardwood furniture with your jet-boiled French pressed coffee away from it all. But it does take up precious space and is therefore all too often left at home. smirk.gif

Yes, the Kermit is worth it. I had (have?) one of those 'freebie' chairs, and after spilling my coffee (and beer) so many times, I finally broke down and bought a Kermit.

BTW, it can be used for more than just camping...

Regards,

Mike O

For camping and packing light, the Kermit chair is hard to beat. I don't know of any compact chair as comfortable or as well built. With a little care, a Kermit will last a lifetime and probably someone elses lifetime too. On the down side, assembly gets tiresome when you're only camping one night. For a decent inexpensive alternative, those three legged camp stools with the triangular cordura seat arent bad. I use one when working outside rather than crouching or kneeling.

Ya know.. I looked seriously at the Kermit Chair. It is definitely high quality. I gave strong consideration to one. Then I found one of the metal fram collapsible jobs (no arms) for $5.00 on sale at a local Long's Drug store. I bought 3. For that price, they can be considered expendable. It folds up as small as the Kermit and is actually a little more comfortable since it the seat is somewhat higher.

The Kermit's high price was just too much to justify for me.

Kermits are nice, without doubt. BUT, being another cheap guy, I found a tripod stool at Cummins Supply for $4 and have used it for 3 yrs now. When it shoots craps I hope I can find another on. Or, maybe I will use my $5 chair with the back! Ahhhhhh, cheap!

MichiganBob

I ended up getting a French Cut from backcountry.com for 19 bucks. It is like those fold ups but about half the height. this makes it less bulky and does not stick out and block the mirrors. They are rated for 300 pounts, have a holder for your brewski, and are nice and cool (mesh material. Come in blue and yellow.

Ride safe.

Bob

Brian,

It is one of Travelchair's models.

Question is what is the overall height measurement?

No information on Travelchair's website.

I ended up getting a French Cut from backcountry.com for 19 bucks. It is like those fold ups but about half the height. this makes it less bulky and does not stick out and block the mirrors. They are rated for 300 pounts, have a holder for your brewski, and are nice and cool (mesh material. Come in blue and yellow.

Ride safe.

Bob

Bought a couple of those and used one for the first time on a recent trip. Packed well as it was shorter than the duffle bag which I had tied across my passenger seat, and across my Jesse bags.

Chair was inexpensive, but broke about the second time I sat in it. One of the plastic pieces which connect the metal tubes just cracked apart at one of the holes where it was rivitted to the metal tube.

It was cheap, so I just tossed it and never went after any sort of warranty claim. But backcountry.com just e-mailed me yesterday to check how the gear I bought from them performed. So I took the opportunity to let them know about the chair. We'll see what happens.

Oh, and about backcountry.com. Excellent service, prices and attitude. I don't think that I'll ever buy camping equipment anywhere else again. If you haven't worked with these folks, do try them out.

Standard disclaimer: I have no financial interest in backcountry.com, just a satisfied customer, yada, yada.

Tom

I ended up getting a French Cut from backcountry.com for 19 bucks.

Bob--

Please refrain from posting sexual content in this forum. grin.gif

-Mike the Moderator

MichiganBob

Ditto on backcountry. Well run outfit and stands behind products. I have had good wear from the chair and I am 250 lbs. Used it about 6 times so far. Time will tell. The height is 26.5. In the bag, the length is 32.

Thanks for the advice Mike (LOL). I was going to tell you about the Stihl blower I got from Sweden but better refrain.

Ride safe.

Bob

The height is 26.5. In the bag, the length is 32.

Thanks for the info.

As a comparison, the Kermit chair in the bag measures at 23" long and 5" diameter. (drink holder included grin.gif)

It's funny we've all made excuses not to get a Kermit I probably spent 60 dollars to not spend 119. Then when I finally bought the Kermit chair I've kicked myself in the keester for not buying it sooner. I'll be napping in my Kermit while eveyone else falls over gets leg cramps and bitches about being uncomfortable.

Thanks for all your responses. I had gotten a couple of tripod chairs from LL Bean. Very well made for $29. I found them comfortable but hubby took issue with the position of the front leg. blush.gif Sent them back and will save up for Kermits.

Father's Day is coming.

Burgundy Kermit chair:

RicksHooch.jpg

Navy Kermit chair, with cupholder, in use (fresh brewed coffee in JetBoil cup in left hand):

NancysChair.jpg

Pam

Archived