IGNORED

1800 RT Battery Cover Plate

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

You wouldn't think this would be so difficult. I was pleased when I moved to the 2018 RT to have the battery on the side figuring that accessibility would be easier than it was on my earlier models. There is a plastic plate that goes on the end which has two plastic nipples one on each side that go into a hinge and another nipple on the bottom. However the fit is so tight that I can't get the plate to fasten on the bottom. The nipple hole is inset too far. I've tried to rearrange the battery cables to get more clearance but no dice. I'm thinking of cutting off the bottom nipple of the plate as there is also a rubber strap and it fits so tight that the battery isn't going anywhere. But I hate to give up. I'm not sure what year the RT started mounting the battery on the side but was thinking that someone out there has had to change their battery with this configuration and figured out how to get this plate to fit .

All advise is welcomed and appreciated.

MB

MB, the Riders Manual describes remove/install with images, but leaves out some fine details about how to really do this.

The way to get this done is to finish up the wiring connections and have the insulation blanket installed (if you have one) then when sliding the battery back into the tray leave about 3/4 inch of the battery hanging out of the opening.

This is the point that you put the small plate with the 3 tabs up against the end of the battery like it would be in it's home position.

Now, using the plate, lift the plate and the battery that is supported by the lower tab up about 1/2 inch and slide it further into the tray so that when the side pins are aligned with their designated holes the bottom pin will also be aligned, so lower the plate and battery so that all the pins engage at the same time.

Then finish up with hooking and securing the rubber keeper and it's all back in place.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

MB, the Riders Manual describes remove/install with images, but leaves out some fine details about how to really do this.

The way to get this done is to finish up the wiring connections and have the insulation blanket installed (if you have one) then when sliding the battery back into the tray leave about 3/4 inch of the battery hanging out of the opening.

This is the point that you put the small plate with the 3 tabs up against the end of the battery like it would be in it's home position.

Now, using the plate, lift the plate and the battery that is supported by the lower tab up about 1/2 inch and slide it further into the tray so that when the side pins are aligned with their designated holes the bottom pin will also be aligned, so lower the plate and battery so that all the pins engage at the same time.

Then finish up with hooking and securing the rubber keeper and it's all back in place.

Need a video. :)

• Haha 2

Apparently, my Shift Cam RT has a slightly different plastic cover, but it looks like it may be the same procedure.   Thanks for showing that.

Great video. In my  original email I called them dowels, then changed it to nipples which left me a little unsettled. "Pins" is much better. LOL

MB

BTW, the cover on my 2015 is NOT the same as my wife's 2017.  So they changed design in just 2 years.  Still the pins, but the plastics are quite a bit different.

• 1 year later...

Y'all are a few steps ahead of me. I can't get the danged cover off. I pull the tab outward as described in the manual. Nothing budges. I try to pull up and out. It seems to move a bit but doesn't let go. And that's using pliers to pull with. What's the secret?