IGNORED

Annealing Final Drive Washer

Skywagon

I ordered final drive washers from local BMW dealer. They had the o-ring but no copper washer. It’s been a week and still not in

Is it ok to anneal it?  It’s a first time copper. 
I asked them how they do service if they don’t have them. Didn’t get a good answer but I bet they just reuse them

5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I ordered final drive washers from local BMW dealer. They had the o-ring but no copper washer. It’s been a week and still not in

Is it ok to anneal it?  It’s a first time copper. 
I asked them how they do service if they don’t have them. Didn’t get a good answer but I bet they just reuse them

Afternoon David

You probably don't have to anneal it as I reuse them a time or two without annealing & without issue. 

You can probably find a match at your local auto parts store as they usually have a segmented box of different sized metric copper washers (or a generic  blister pack of varying sizes). 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, strataj said:

Sorry but not to hijack your thread, Beemer Boneyard sells a non copper crush washer. https://www.beemerboneyard.com/fnlcwsr12lc.html  Why does BMW use copper?

Afternoon strataj

Good question, the oil drain plug washer is AL (aluminum), BMW final drive washer is CU (copper).

It might not matter & BMW just used what was in the original design, or possibly there is some sort of concern that  additives in the gear oil does better with a copper interface, or ?????? . 

What we do know is that BMW has many/may durability test miles & a number of service drive plug removal cycles on the  copper washer & my guess is that Beemer Boneyard hasn't done much of any testing. 

Thanks. I’m not sure why BMW does but in airplanes we use copper because it doesn’t deteriorate, crack, and no nasty sealers. I’ve annealed thousands of airplane spark plug washers and oil sending lines but with the FDrive washer being so small I wasn’t sure if it would hold up or had some other non-copper content. I’m going to do a long ride on Saturday and change all fluids while hot

My favorite local hardware store has tons individually - I’m sure yours does too - or there’s always this at harbor freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-copper-washer-assortment-67526.html

But I will usually just turn the old one over and use it that way (once) if I don’t have new one. ...and if I’ve already done that once and still don’t have a new one (shame on me!) I just reuse it and keep an eye on It. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was going to mention harbor freight... my buddy got a box of like 50 of them for I think $5 and they work perfectly. Just installed one on my bike and he's been running them on his for years.