IGNORED

upcoming motorcycle safety tech

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Article here from a friend of mine in the auto industry about current and upcoming) safety tech for cars that's about to start showing up on motorcycles:

Can Tech Companies Make Motorcycling Safer?

I had thought BMW would be an early adopter of stuff like this, but on rereading I noticed that Ducati is leading the charge, with the next Multistrada including front/rear radar that enables adaptive cruise control and blind-spot warnings

• Like 2

I already hate most of that stuff on my car and have it disabled, I do not want it on my bike. (No blindspot warning on my car, not sure I need it. Too many lousy drivers do, though.)

One video I saw on the new RT was about the rear brake light.  Under moderate braking, it'll modulate the brake light.  Under heavy braking, it'll also flash the hazards.  Those are features I can get behind.

With things like adaptive cruise control, it really depends on how well they've implemented it.  On auto's, I've heard a wide ranging amount of good and bad.  So I can't dismiss it as a whole.

Joe Frickin' Friday
26 minutes ago, 92Merc said:

Under moderate braking, it'll modulate the brake light.  Under heavy braking, it'll also flash the hazards. 

I often flash the hazards in my car when I'm approaching an unexpected traffic slowdown, e.g. a highway bottleneck.  I also do it manually on my '09 RT, but only when I can spare the mental attention; it would be nice to have a system that does it automatically every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Skene P3 modules flanking my license plate out back.  That has a brake modulator built in.  I prefer it just happening without me.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 6:59 AM, 92Merc said:

With things like adaptive cruise control, it really depends on how well they've implemented it.  On auto's, I've heard a wide ranging amount of good and bad.

Yeah, my daughter has had it now on two vehicles, a 2017 Ford Escape and a 2019 Honda CR-V.  I drove the Escape from San Diego to San Francisco, and it was nice that it would slow down to match the speed of the car in front of you.  But if you're behind a slow truck and then change into an open lane (as often happens on I-5 in the Central Valley, especially when you're towing a trailer), it takes way too long to start accelerating back to the set speed.  I've ridden in her CR-V with it, and it's so good she uses it any time she's on a freeway, including in stop-and-go traffic.  The only negative I've seen is that it's a little TOO eager to accelerate when space opens ahead of it.