IGNORED

START - Maggie Valley Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour 2021

Indy Dave

2 hours ago, Foot said:

Well crap, I have been waiting on my wife to decide what kinda room to get. Now she says she is a no go and there is no rooms, my luck!

Now you know, next time just reserve the best room you can find early on, you can always cancel it!

On 2/11/2021 at 6:41 PM, Brunhilde said:

Now that is just mean! Never said the box, box pressed cigars! You get one more shot or you will be placed behind Terry for the Buffet! :4317:

• Haha 3

Hey Foot, just to prove there is always another one that's perhaps worse.  I was looking fwd to being there and enjoying my 85th birthday with friends on friday.  Sadly since I'm a moron I forgot to make a res.  They ran out of rooms a while ago and I don't see the point of staying somewhere else.  Here is to next year.

• Sad 5

What the heck is going on in Maggie Valley that weekend?  Looks like all the hotels in town are wide open now through May except for that weekend!

P.S. Hey everybody!  Miss you guys!

• Like 3

There may be some camping or cabin availability here:  STONEBRIDGE RV RESORT Phone: 828-926-1904.

@Foot @Id's_OK @randy @Chris K  and others: Earlier this week, there were some ABNB locations available for 3 or 4 rooms. Perhaps you guys could go in and find  a suitable location?

I want to reiterate that if you're looking for a room, calling the local motels/hotels directly (not the national 800 numbers) may yield some success.  Google is your friend!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, OldBMWMaster said:

I had a stroke.  Out of the hospital and walking now.  Can't wait to get back on the bike.

That’s a bad, good, great story all in one! A speedy recovery to you Sir! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, OldBMWMaster said:

I had a stroke.  Out of the hospital and walking now.  Can't wait to get back on the bike.

I hope you have a full recovery and hope we will see you at START 21!

1 hour ago, OldBMWMaster said:

speedy recovery.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, OldBMWMaster said:

Jerry, very sorry to hear, glad you're up and about! Looking forward to seeing you and the pup in Maggie!!

2023671449_jerryanddog.thumb.jpeg.7002b36b47625b50f0f45873e1320b20.jpeg

2097887885_jerrysdog.thumb.JPG.3cfc819809da829a0edbab473e80ed64.JPG

• Like 4

Dave - 

You can add myself and my friend Doreen to the list of attendees. We'll be arriving Thursday.

Looking forward to stretching our legs in the area again and meeting up with everyone. 

Jim

• Like 5

Still not back on the bike.  My wife has a street legal go cart I can drive if I still have balance problems; so I will definitely be there.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, RT_Jim said:

Dave - 

You can add myself and my friend Doreen to the list of attendees. We'll be arriving Thursday.

Looking forward to stretching our legs in the area again and meeting up with everyone. 

Jim

Our pleasure, Jim! Glad you both can join us.

@OldBMWMaster Keep working at it, we'll be glad to see you no matter how you arrive. 

• Like 2

Here is a teaser. :5150:

A screenshot from BaseCamp of all the routes for START 2021. Get your bikes ready, change your HID fluids and top off your synthetic air in your tires. It will be a great event with lots of riding. And don’t forget to rotate your wiper blades. :3:

large.30A9A4B6-CC12-41C2-8E6D-7A9A64B3E447.jpeg.ddc2bdcde0dfa87d529ffc7cbc11cb3c.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18k service:  check

new tires:  check

new brake pads:  check

new routes:  .........well, send them already!   :revit:

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

18k service:  check

new tires:  check

new brake pads:  check

new routes:  .........well, send them already!   :revit:

The route file is in mandatory quarantine for COVID-19. Two weeks I been told by the experts. Soon to be released. 🤣D1A58E31-EF0F-483F-B1C1-3E2DD1CA73AD.thumb.jpeg.61457f6814a35eec1e5b3b438d64999b.jpeg

95DF3D98-7938-4C9F-BB76-69F939431DDC.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

In the meantime, get out  and warm up that bike! Warm up your skills. WooHoo!

Toc Tic...

20210309_111246.thumb.jpg.423819edc8c7a48fa278438c73b08c99.jpg

20210309_112542.thumb.jpg.d5c1734ff46d2d3260e21cec126b195c.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3
57 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

What more would you suggest? 

20210308_174324.jpg

Whoa!! That's just AWESOME! 

Nothing like that here in Indiana...

20210309_125607.thumb.jpg.60023e4f13d8639064a211165a3f1eaa.jpg

6 hours ago, Ron-M said:

That is a good looking K1300...........

No kidding.  I think that's the best looking K1300 I've ever seen, especially with that background.

1 hour ago, Ydo said:

Tried posting "I'm in" twice coming in Thursday but still did not make the list. No big deal I'll see you guys there anyway.

image.png.60200a95f384b89bad0446459c478f54.png

@Indy Dave please fix it. 

Ed - You forgot the secret CODE WORD! :4296: I do you have you and I'm looking forward to seeing you again, neighbor! I don't know why I missed you , but just know that you're among an elite group  who have to nudge me now and again. And really, I only do it to keep you guys on your toes :ohboy:

We have a Spring like temps up this way, and I've managed 489 miles in the last week. I hope you're having the same inviting weather and are finding time to get the wheels rolling.

We have several who are looking for a room and may consider sharing a room. If you have capacity and are vaccinated or otherwise open to sharing - please consider reaching out directly to one of the guys or posting here - or in the "looking for a room thread.

As of March 10th:

1597879200_whoisgoingtomaggiedec30pg1.thumb.jpg.13a1ebaaadea64ca72ecbe6e8d42dde8.jpg

1201356442_whosgoingpage2feb27.thumb.jpg.f215c175363bbbd026f5d9b7d835ba37.jpg

243298212_whosgoingpage3mar10r1.thumb.jpg.602db286b120c986c6294053473d02be.jpg

• Like 1

This is turning out to be one of the larger groups to attend these events.  I think everyone is raring to go.  Get out in the wild..............

• Like 2

I'm in!!

I actually have a room in a couple of hotels (in other words I have to switch hotels on Friday) with the weekend in Waynesville since all is booked in Maggie Valley for the weekend.

image.png.dee74ab51b3b54966f05d09747939ca2.png

• Like 1
dave sawyer

Well it seems everything in Maggie Valley is booked, so I’ll be staying over the mountain in Cherokee.

Might just pay for the trip at the blackjack tables.🤞

• Like 3

I'm thinking it's about time to see routes for START 2021...the teaser Bernie sent out looked inviting!  

Let's raise a toast to the whole group who help make these events so enjoyable:

"Bernie and Indy Dave will be assisted and supported by BMW_Ken, Twistyguy (Peter), Marcopolo (Mark), Endobobdds (Bob), DaveCinNO and terryofperry".    Thanks Guys!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have it on good authority that the vast majority The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™  are out...... :revit: riding :revit:  today, with Yours Truly and a couple others hanging back to mind the store.

I can tell you that the team is already busy creating and scouting routes for   :burnout:  FART.  :burnout:

Very soon we'll be posting the START meal information and routes - which typically get posted 4 or 5 weeks out from the event.

Bernie's always been a good tease, and he builds anticipation better than any Heinz Ketchup Commercial . . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
RandyShields
On 3/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bernie said:

The route file is in mandatory quarantine for COVID-19. Two weeks I been told by the experts. Soon to be released. 🤣

Bike serviced.  New tires. Additional lights installed.  Garmin Express updated.  Downloaded newest City Navigator version to laptop and gps to minimize any version issues with Bernie's routes (Ver. 2021.3).  Now, counting down the days and watching intently for the route delivery . . . .

Lone_RT_rider
14 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Now, counting down the days and watching intently for the route delivery . . . .

You have to get Bernie to stop riding long enough to post them. He did a paltry 490 miles yesterday. My guess is that he never touched an expressway. 

Shawn

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
3 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

My guess is that he never touched an expressway. 

Shawn

While that may be "quite true" [a phrase uttered often by A.J. Foyt], you could never say he didn't stop in a coffee shop or took a lunch break.

Spy satellite photo images:

Shown here waiting for the coffee shop to open yesterday...

IMG_1012.thumb.jpg.f92c43dd4375ce614ee2436682ac767f.jpg

And lunch637352938.thumb.jpg.5452ab82fef7cf09586767a535aeb6bb.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

Just to digress for a second . . .to unpack the "This Is Quite True" . . A.J. Foyt is of course a legend at the Indy 500 (where Yours Truly resides) and in racing in general. He's always had his own vocabulary, which surfaces on the Track P.A. and on TV interviews. To Illustrate . . .

https://www.facebook.com/RACERmagazine/videos/robin-millers-foyt-dictionary-pt-1/10156194390007782/

Edited by Indy Dave

START & FART History 101

Course Intro:

After my last post, you may well be asking yourself (and others) if I've gone off my meds again! :computer:   And who could blame you?

The thing is... the Wayy out in left field post about A.J Foyt and his unique phrases and euphemisms are closely related to our own well known hero, Bernie - who is every bit as tough and colorful as Foyt. If Foyt rode a Sport-Touring bike, Bernie and Foyt would compliment each other and the stories would be [even more] legendary. 

And so it was in 2017 - on our last visit to Maggie Valley - that Bernie and Mike treated us to this exchange:  @Bernie @greiffster

image.thumb.png.f9a4bcab76080544439e9cb6730b91a0.png

image.thumb.png.4ca6e4dfc4736f496c904a376064a154.png

image.thumb.png.11c864e6b8a418b62022863d4eaafa41.png

And ever since, it's become something of an unwritten rule that one or more will post some variation of that conflated version of Tick Tack in a subtle and not so subtle reference to this exchange.

And that's the way it was in April 2017, and the way it still is. And now you know! :wave:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Haha 2

Tick Tack, Tick Tack!:4296:

Only one more week before the routes are released from Quarantine and the mandatory cool-off period!
Tick tack tick tack. 
:4296:

• Like 5

I will be picking up my wife Melodi, from Asheville airport Thursday night. Her schedule just cleared up from being the home school teacher of our 3 grand kids during the school shutdown.

• Like 4

Seeing things like those tires stored under the lift always makes me nervous! I know it's only for the picture, and you'll remove them before lowering the table, but I always hear horror stories about stools or carts being under the lift when lowering and tipping it over, and always do a walk around before lowering mine.

Now I sound like my mom. "Are you sure that's safe? Have you checked with someone who knows what they're doing?"

Get off my lawn!