IGNORED

START - Maggie Valley Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour 2021

Indy Dave

22 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

i'm in, got the booking just now.  arriving maybe mid afternoon Wed till Sun

:5188:

Hello Joe! Welcome, glad you're going to join us this April! :clap:

• Like 2

I enjoyed it Tom! Sounds like we're also lined up for  the ride back    an adventure back North afterwards, before you continue on to points further North! :bike:

As of yesterday, there was one King room left and the 2 bedroom apartment. There is a truck show/gathering of sorts in Maggie Valley the same weekend as START, so rooms may be hard to come by - for the weekend for sure. So plan ahead and make your reservations! :old:

As of Jan 28:

1597879200_whoisgoingtomaggiedec30pg1.thumb.jpg.13a1ebaaadea64ca72ecbe6e8d42dde8.jpg

2129128476_whosgoingpage2jan22r2.thumb.jpg.2ed1f35d9495dabd63d974e60f56b548.jpg

1749289752_whosgoingpage3jan28.thumb.jpg.071a7129c91df7a0e9aa1a1ef8d3445e.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1

We're IN down the road at the Four Seasons Inn. The only place I found with a 2 bed vacancy. I think they had one more room like that. 

Note: The WE is not Terri and me. Terri couldn't make it.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, davidtn said:

Please put me down for Wednesday arrival.  

Thanks!

Will do Dave! 

5 hours ago, TyTass said:

We're IN down the road at the Four Seasons Inn. The only place I found with a 2 bed vacancy. I think they had one more room like that. 

Note: The WE is not Terri and me. Terri couldn't make it.

Glad your were able to find accommodations. I was unable to locate a hotel with large numbers of rooms available as a backup. As you suggest, there are small numbers of rooms available at various locations in Maggie Valley. So the best advice is to do what you did, and call around. 

Edited by Indy Dave
57 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Glad your were able to find accommodations. I was unable to locate a hotel with large numbers of rooms available as a backup. As you suggest, there are small numbers of rooms available at various locations in Maggie Valley. So the best advice is to do what you did, and call around. 

And CALL being the operative word. None of the Maggie Valley motel websites show vacancies. However, several motels work with 3rd party companies like Hotels.com, etc., and so those 3rd companies may be holding room block that the owners can book.

Then again you can simply try all the 3rd party companies, too.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2020 at 9:22 AM, taylor1 said:

Haven't been to an event since a Rubber Chicken Rally about 10 years ago. 

IN  Wednesday --- Sunday

Glad to hear it. 

Hey, so as the former co-host of RCR (Craig), I have to ask ... what first name and/or bike would I know you by?  

Greetings Craig      We went to the one at Snowshoe. Was there with my better half on the back of a blue 02 RT. Also a riding friend on his Gold Goldwing.

We had a few libations in the bar and I spent most of my time talking with Ken and another member . I think he went by Living the dream ? Silver 04 RT with a trailer.

I do remember chatting with Keith about his goofy shoes/flipflops LOL. I look forward to meeting this great group of members and will certainly look you up.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

There were 3 or 4 at Snowshoe, but I do indeed recall you. Looking forward to catching up again.  Are you still on the blue 02 RT? I traded my RT in 2012 for Big Bird (yellow GSA with orange shocks). See you Friday or Sat eve. 

• Like 1

Hi Craig

Still on the RT  I might do something for this rally I have never done before . Wife is not sure she can handle the 8 hr. ride , so I might trailer. If so , I will probably bring my airhead also  in hopes that someone else will have one and take a ride down memory lane  LOL

43 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Dave, could you add me to the list, in on Wednesday out Sunday morn. Thanks! :yes:

There goes the neighborhood!!!

What's your mode of travel for this soiree?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
46 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Dave, could you add me to the list, in on Wednesday out Sunday morn. Thanks! :yes:

My pleasure, I'll post the updated list this afternoon.

We are officially sold out at the Maggie Valley Creekside Inn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What's your mode of travel for this soiree?

When the decision was made, the RT sat with that nervous dog tail wag thing going on. But, I’m gonna have to break the bad news. There’s dirt routes to be found in them thar hills so, the trusty GS gets the nod. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

When the decision was made, the RT sat with that nervous dog tail wag thing going on. But, I’m gonna have to break the bad news. There’s dirt routes to be found in them thar hills so, the trusty GS gets the nod. :classic_biggrin:

I'm bi-bikectual, so if'n I can make it, I can go either way.

• Like 2

As a Newbie to this gathering/ride, is there anything I should be looking at or preparing for?  For example, are there GPS routes/tracks I should be downloading?  Or a particular type of cigar I need to be stockpiling? 

Me and Brunhilde (my RT) are looking forward to meeting and seeing you all!

Jim

• Like 2

Jim, the first page (click below) has information, feel free to ask any questions, someone will answer them. Look forward to seeing you.

Terry

• Like 2

Jim, in addition to what Terry said (above), there will indeed be a thread on this site - usually a month, or so, out from the event - containing a link to GPX files of suggested rides that you can download.  There is also a general thread, entitled "Guide For Using Garmin GPS Units and Basecamp For Event Routes" that will be of interest (see link below).

• Like 4

Thanks, Terry and Mark, I'll check out these resources.

Just got a new to me 2016 RT with a Nav VI which I have not played with yet.  This may be the VI's maiden long voyage, and hope I can master the GPX download!  The seats will be going off to Russell, but I don't think that will happen until May-June, depending on their production schedule.

Jim

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Brunhilde said:

As a Newbie to this gathering/ride, is there anything I should be looking at or preparing for?  For example, are there GPS routes/tracks I should be downloading?  Or a particular type of cigar I need to be stockpiling? 

Jim

Good afternoon, Jim.

The "ART's" team will post routes/tracks for download around 30 days before the 2021 START event. These routes are made using Gamin's free BaseCamp program and will be optimized to work with the BMW Navigator V & VI models and current Garmin GPS unit's. As always we recommend that you download the GPS file and then recalculate the routes in BaseCamp, before loading it into your GPS device.

What can you do in the meantime? Besides making certain your bike and riding gear is ready to go, I would recommend to you to get familiar with using the Garmin's BaseCamp software, the Garmin Express program and your BMW Navigator VI unit.

You can search this site for lots of GPS and BaseCamp information.

For BaseCamp, I recommend the NewEnglandRiders.org site. They have a very extensive series of manuals for BaseCamp for either Windows or Mac operating systems. This should help you get comfortable with BaseCamp. It will teach you on how to import a route, how to update your GPS device to the current map data and firmware, and how to use the GPS to be able to use the route/s during a ride.

If you have further questions, feel free to either post them here, make a new post or send me a PM.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Pat, this is certainly a treat! While you're a veteran of other BMWST gatherings, The Hall of Records I show you as a first timer ART event for you! Of course, I only came to know you as "Pat" after you enrolled in the Federal Witness Protection Plan. :5146:

While the host hotel sold out, there are available rooms scattered about in Maggie Valley. If you've not signed up and want to join the fun, please do plan to join us - just make a few calls. There is another event in town that weekend, so we are unable to secure an additional block of rooms elsewhere. Also cabins and camping at STONEBRIDGE RV RESORT 1786 SOCO RD MAGGIE VALLEY, NC 28751 Phone: 828-926-1904 [Thanks @OldBMWMaster ] 

As of Feb 8:

1597879200_whoisgoingtomaggiedec30pg1.thumb.jpg.13a1ebaaadea64ca72ecbe6e8d42dde8.jpg

2129128476_whosgoingpage2jan22r2.thumb.jpg.2ed1f35d9495dabd63d974e60f56b548.jpg

1001385144_whosgoingpage3Feb8R3.thumb.jpg.c93a17e5f6892e6eee723d557068172b.jpg

• Haha 1

Thanks William, I do believe I was at one of the early ARTS so technically, not a complete newbie. But, there may be an expiration date on participation and if so, I’m way past that. :facepalm: :classic_biggrin: It will be good to meet ya! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

More blabbing than riding the last couple of years. :spittake:

edit...that’d be me doing the “more blabbing than riding” and hoping this may be the turning point! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Heck... If Tewks is going to make the long journey South, I might have to make this START. 

Never been to one, might be a real good time with the Eastern folk rendezvous!  I'm go'n try to make this happen...

• Like 4
  • Smile 1
Dennis Andress
22 minutes ago, LBump said:

Heck... If Tewks is going to make the long journey South, I might have to make this START. 

Never been to one, might be a real good time with the Eastern folk rendezvous!  I'm go'n try to make this happen...

I'm taking the long way...

image.jpeg.4d05630c50be8386f95ac63d29874ec8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah. me calling you a newbie was a real stretch.   :grin:

Admit it, it felt good though didn't it William? :rofl:

13 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Thanks William, I do believe I was at one of the early ARTS so technically, not a complete newbie. But, there may be an expiration date on participation and if so, I’m way past that. :facepalm: :classic_biggrin: It will be good to meet ya! :thumbsup:

I stand corrected, I've just come from revisiting the Hall of Records, and .. why yes... I see you FARTed in 2014 in Maggie Valley! I guess it would have helped if I would have hit 'search' when I entered your name the first time . :4617:    Welcome Back. Please accept my apologies. I'd just like to note that any absence of 5 years or more means you'll have to go through initiation again. :90:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Admit it, it felt good though didn't it William? :rofl:

I'd just like to note that any absence of 5 years or more means you'll have to go through initiation again. :90:

???? INITATION?????

Isn’t it a big enough penalty, that he has to figure out how to use one of my routes? :3:

It is great that some of the longtime members are making the trek to START 2021 this year.

Looking forward to meet some in person.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Untitled photo

Question...All mighty tour guide...WTH was so fascinating for me to be looking down at that water with such curiosity? A pollywog or something? :dontknow: :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/8/2021 at 1:27 PM, Brunhilde said:

Jim

Jim,

This is a great resource for learning basecamp.

https://www.newenglandriders.org/category/gps/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Question...All mighty tour guide...WTH was so fascinating for me to be looking down at that water with such curiosity? A pollywog or something? :dontknow: :rofl:

I don't know but I like that picture, everyone in it was doing something completely different. :dopeslap: :grin: 

• Like 3

Not as cool but maybe second place to one of Whip’s album cover photos. ;) Now we just gotta come up with a band name. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

:old: Pat and the Pollywogs? :rofl:

50 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Not as cool but maybe second place to one of Whip’s album cover photos. ;) Now we just gotta come up with a band name. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

:old: Pat and the Pollywogs? :rofl:

The “ Lost GS Boys “ ?

• Haha 1

Jim/Brunhilde - All that other advice is Ok but your most important question was about cigars. Bring as many "My Father Le Bijou 1922 Torpedo Box Pressed" as you can and as long as you have one for me every night then that is enough. :90:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1