IGNORED

Jetboil Stove

John Diakonis

John Diakonis

I'm about ready to buy a Jetboil stove. Does anyone have them, like them? They also just came out with a 1.5 liter pan that fits on top also. REI has them on sale for 59.95 till Sunday if anyone is thinking about it.

JimJeffers

The jet boil does one thing well... it heats water... fast. If you're just looking for coffee, rehydrate, etc. it's perfect. You can also get a 'french press' coffee filter for the pot. No better way to start your morning! thumbsup.gif

John Diakonis

Definitly the coffee press! Have to have coffee first thing in the am. It will be fun to experiment with it.

For those of you with experience...How long are the gas canisters good for?

If I were to go on a 8 day trip and wanted to heat water at least once a day, how many gas canisters would I need to take along?

If I were to go on a 8 day trip and wanted to heat water at least once a day, how many gas canisters would I need to take along?
Haven't really tracked mine but I did buy a bigger Coleman butane canister that was much cheaper than the JetBoil version, doesn't pack inside the container of course.
Haven't really tracked mine but I did buy a bigger Coleman butane canister that was much cheaper than the JetBoil version, doesn't pack inside the container of course.

But that's what makes the thing do darn neat......

As a slight hijack- (i really need coffee in the morning), what are the opinions out there on putting

1)propane or butane cartridges in your side cases or luggage?

2)Liguid fuel for camp stoves in MSR safety fuel bottles?

I am worried about heat build-up during the day while you are traveling. I hope to do some riding involving campgrounds and cooking with some sort of fuel. Thanks.

As a slight hijack- (i really need coffee in the morning), what are the opinions out there on putting

1)propane or butane cartridges in your side cases or luggage?

2)Liguid fuel for camp stoves in MSR safety fuel bottles?

I am worried about heat build-up during the day while you are traveling. I hope to do some riding involving campgrounds and cooking with some sort of fuel. Thanks.

While I have never heard of anyone having a problem with any fuel source stored in luggage, if all I'm doing is heating water, I prefer the Esbit solid fuel stove.

The Jetboil is pretty atractive, but still quite bulky for me.

I got the Coleman ApexII runs off of RT regular gas and got the Nissan french press coffee (stainless) for morning dose of caffeen(campmor.com)... Used for 3 years no problems an heats water fast. No special fuel major plus. thumbsup.gif

This stove is bulletproof, holds its own fuel, never leaks ever, and can run on regular unleaded in a pinch.

I've had one for almost 20 years, fires up first time every time, easy to regulate the heat, easy to find parts (never needed 'em).

Just in case you're considering options.

feather442_main.jpg

There are many other lightweight stoves available, the point of the JetBoil is its high efficiency design and use of high power fuel (butane/propane mix), the built in piezo lighter is nice too though mine doesn't work, I discovered this morning that there is a maintenance kit that includes a new one and have ordered it.

Understood, but you really don't need compressed gas unless you're cooking at high altitude. Compressed gas brings lots of headaches with it, such as:

1) where to buy fuel on the road

2) leaking canisters

3) canister disposal ( do not just throw them out )

4) risk of explosion

5) doesn't work in subfreezing temps

This is a serious question, is the Jetboil that good that the negatives are worth ignoring?

confused.gif

This stove is bulletproof, holds its own fuel, never leaks ever, and can run on regular unleaded in a pinch.

I've had one for almost 20 years, fires up first time every time, easy to regulate the heat, easy to find parts (never needed 'em).

Just in case you're considering options.

feather442_main.jpg

yep.. that's what I use. I carry a 1-liter MSR bottle of reg. gas, which can be dumped into the bike when necessary (granted.. only about 10 miles worth of fuel), or used to run the stove. Cheaper than the JetBoil too. Mine's never leaked.

Understood, but you really don't need compressed gas unless you're cooking at high altitude. Compressed gas brings lots of headaches with it, such as:

1) where to buy fuel on the road

2) leaking canisters

3) canister disposal ( do not just throw them out )

4) risk of explosion

5) doesn't work in subfreezing temps

This is a serious question, is the Jetboil that good that the negatives are worth ignoring?

confused.gif

Short answer - yes.

As for your points:

1) trivially easy if you don't insist on the JetBoil canister.

2) never had one in over 40 years of using, nor have my friends.

3) I just throw them out (please explain why not).

4) None - just doesn't happen on any regular basis, less dangerous than liquid fuels for sure.

5) they make a special mix for low temperatures, I use mine mostly in hotel rooms anyway grin.gif

I use mine mostly in hotel rooms anyway thumbsup.gif

I just throw them out (please explain why not). Good question.

The canisters really need to be recycled, for two reasons. First, they're steel, and I hate to see steel thrown away when it can be reused.

Second, the canisters generally retain a small amount of flammable gas. When the canister is crushed, compacted, or punctured, it explodes, sometimes in the back of a garbage truck, sometimes in a Waste to Energy plant, sometimes in a landfill.

You might ask your local MRF or transfer station if they take them, most likely they will. They will then puncture them with a recover tool and recover any fuel, and then crush them and sell them for recycling.

Bob,

I purchased the Jetboil this week at REI and have been playing with it everyday in anticipation of camping at Torrey. I initially thought my piezo ignitor was malfunctioning and discovered that forcefully pushing the button yielded no spark but slowly pushing it has worked everytime.

I think it a handy unit, coffeepress all fits inside. Looking forward to my coffee mornings at Thousand Lakes RV.

Bob,

I purchased the Jetboil this week at REI and have been playing with it everyday in anticipation of camping at Torrey. I initially thought my piezo ignitor was malfunctioning and discovered that forcefully pushing the button yielded no spark but slowly pushing it has worked everytime.

Thanks for the idea, just got it out and tried it, still no luck.

Archived