IGNORED

Headlamp Beam Throw Lever

Pickaxe

I've recently noticed that the 'Adjusting Headlamp Beam Throw' in the R1200RT riders manual is incorrect.

On page 49 of the UK manual, the position for the throw lever, is completely opposite to the way it operates in practice.

It's funny you say that because when I noticed it I just thought they had patterned the English version of the manual to the UK bike and (being we drive on different sides), yours was set up that way. I guess it's simpler than that and they just got the negative turned backwards.

My friend has a 1200 RT and I was riding in front of him yesterday and noticed the right side head light was aimed a little higher than the one on the left. Is that normal? Is there a way to adjust them equally so they both look the same?

Thanks

I've recently noticed that the 'Adjusting Headlamp Beam Throw' in the R1200RT riders manual is incorrect.

On page 49 of the UK manual, the position for the throw lever, is completely opposite to the way it operates in practice.

Same here. I didn't spot it in France last year and was flashed a number of times. This year, no problems. On my previous GSs, the lever worked as in the manual; wonder why they changed it?

Hey,

C'mon guys...............

HOLD THE MANUAL THE OTHER WAY ROUND !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

ps...noticed it too .

Steve

Hey,

C'mon guys...............

HOLD THE MANUAL THE OTHER WAY ROUND !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

ps...noticed it too .

Steve

I think that because you have to stand on your head to adjust it, they just printed the instructions as if you were upside down when reading it.

Make sense to me. wink.gif

I think that's pretty standard for US type configuration (driving on the right). The beam is focused for a little more "throw" on the right side since oncoming traffic is on the left. I installed a Marchall (sp) head lamp on an older Harley years ago and on low beam it lit up the right side of the road like the Madame La Rue pinball machine while the left side was aimed low for oncoming traffic (single headlamp). I would assume (though I dont' know) that the UK would be set up for the reverse which was why I thought the picture in the manual may have been of a UK bike.

My friend has a 1200 RT and I was riding in front of him yesterday and noticed the right side head light was aimed a little higher than the one on the left. Is that normal? Is there a way to adjust them equally so they both look the same?

Thanks

That's how it's supposed to be, but adjusted so that the high part of the beam is into the verge/side of the road. You can't adjust each beam seperately, just up and down and left to right.

Same here. I didn't spot it in France last year and was flashed a number of times. This year, no problems. On my previous GSs, the lever worked as in the manual; wonder why they changed it?

I must admit that my previous bike was a 05 12GS and the same part of that manual was also incorrect. Must have been the same author.

My UK manual has the instructions on page 54/5 and the two positions are shown correctly. Looks like someone at BMW spotted the mistake.

BeemerBerg

No No. You all have it wrong.

The instructions are OK if you live south of the equator and drive on the wrong side of the rode.

How 'bout it, Aussies?

Archived